• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

Not a defence of Fosun by any means, and from what we know the money available to Lop this summer is pitiful and promises have been broken etc...

... but aren't most non-PL clubs around Europe hardly awash with money either? He's not exactly a dead cert to walk into another good job that will offer him the fabled 'warchest'?
Most clubs, especially those that are wanting to improve, don't have a war chest in the negative and told to just deal with it.

Last edited:
I'm aware of that. If he quits then surely he'd be bound by the terms in the same way wolves are? IE he cannot.work until that contract is over/ Wolves come to an agreement that allows him to.

I doubt this happens either way, he's a mercenary so leaving that kind of money on the table is unlikely.
You can't stop somebody working.

By mercenary, you mean an ordinary worker. If you quit your job would you not look for another?

You can't stop somebody working.

By mercenary, you mean an ordinary worker. If you quit your job would you not look for another?

I didn't say we'd stop him, just that any club would have to pay the release fee? Otherwise, why would Chelsea have paid for Potter when he could have just quit then joined them for nowt and got a bigger signing bonus.

By mercenary, I mean someone who has no loyalty and just goes wherever the money is. I can't knock him for it because I'd do exactly the same. Everyone knows what he's like, agreeing to take jobs while under contract, already been sacked for doing it once.

I may be wrong here but I thought his contract with Spain was ending after the WC. So he decided not to stay on and agreed to join RM.
His bosses were pissed off he announced it when he did so told him to go home.

Edit: was wrong as RM paid €2m to get him. It was all friendly and amicable until RM announced the deal before the WC. Spain didn't want t it announced until after so sent him home.

I didn't say we'd stop him, just that any club would have to pay the release fee? Otherwise, why would Chelsea have paid for Potter when he could have just quit then joined them for nowt and got a bigger signing bonus.

By mercenary, I mean someone who has no loyalty and just goes wherever the money is. I can't knock him for it because I'd do exactly the same. Everyone knows what he's like, agreeing to take jobs while under contract, already been sacked for doing it once.
Aren't we all mercenaries then?

I have a question if anyone can answer.

If Lopetegui does quit, could we just retain his rights so he can't manage anyone until his original contract is up?

2 years is a long time for him to just sit about doing fuck all.
Doubt he'll just quit will he? Jeff will just get pissed off and they'll come to some arrangement I'd expect.

Aren't we all mercenaries then?

Depends really, I'd guess you aren't as in a discussion we had yesterday you were talking about not being happy if you didn't have the tea lady you were promised. I wouldn't care if I was getting paid the most money possible.

Not all football managers are just interested in money, De Zerbi could have fucked off from Brighton already, Chelsea wanted him and he turned them down. Lopetegui seems to be money motivated, which is why I think he'll end up in Saudi.

I'm not sure how you can say Lopetegui is money motivated. He would've had much more lucrative offers than Wolves when he came here, in fact most people expected him to take a break from football because of his father's I'll health + burnout at Sevilla. He chose to come to Wolves (and bring an extensive backroom staff with him, including his own son) because he was sold a long term project, not because we had the biggest paycheck.

The only money I think he is motivated by is money for transfers. He was done over a little at Sevilla a year ago as he started to lose his best players and was given low budget replacements. This year he currently doesn't even get the luxury of low budget, just no budget.

Lop wants out but won’t walk, we want him gone as he’s not committed but won’t sack him as it will cost too much. Stalemate. Lop won’t be motivated and the performances will inevitably suffer. After a good preseason it looks like a long season ahead.

Depends really, I'd guess you aren't as in a discussion we had yesterday you were talking about not being happy if you didn't have the tea lady you were promised. I wouldn't care if I was getting paid the most money possible.

Not all football managers are just interested in money, De Zerbi could have fucked off from Brighton already, Chelsea wanted him and he turned them down. Lopetegui seems to be money motivated, which is why I think he'll end up in Saudi.

I don't think Lopetegui is here for the money, he's here to manage in the best league in the world, and I imagine his current frustration stems from wanting to compete in that league, and being given Doc to do it with

Lop won’t be motivated and the performances will inevitably suffer.

I dunno, not hearing any grumbles from the playing staff, it's far from ideal obviously but if he and the players are tight it doesn't necessarily have to be negative, could even be a siege mentality type of thing. That's only in the short term though I reckon

I'm doubtful and it hardly seems like clubs are queueing up to take him now?

I think we wanted him most and therefore gave him a big offer, it was a big increase on his wages at Sevilla from the reports at the time.

I also reckon, if we offered him another 20k a week he'd instantly commit to being here for the long term. But that's just my opinion on him.

Lop wants out but won’t walk, we want him gone as he’s not committed but won’t sack him as it will cost too much. Stalemate. Lop won’t be motivated and the performances will inevitably suffer. After a good preseason it looks like a long season ahead.
Doubt we want him to leave tbh. He’s doing a fine job so far.

Obviously we will see what the start of this season brings but I doubt he’s going to just not try either. So he’s just going to have to suck it up

I'm doubtful and it hardly seems like clubs are queueing up to take him now?

I think we wanted him most and therefore gave him a big offer, it was a big increase on his wages at Sevilla from the reports at the time.

I also reckon, if we offered him another 20k a week he'd instantly commit to being here for the long term. But that's just my opinion on him.
I can't see why you're continuing with the money line when it's clear he isn't personally money motivated.

He wants the tools to do his job, the tools he was promised.

No wonder he's pissed off.

Doubt we want him to leave tbh. He’s doing a fine job so far.

Obviously we will see what the start of this season brings but I doubt he’s going to just not try either. So he’s just going to have to suck it up
It's pretty clear Ego Jeff wants him to leave otherwise he wouldn't be having conversations with other potential coaches that wouldn't question his decisions.

I dunno, not hearing any grumbles from the playing staff, it's far from ideal obviously but if he and the players are tight it doesn't necessarily have to be negative, could even be a siege mentality type of thing. That's only in the short term though I reckon
Exactly this. The players clearly have the manager's back.

The performances have been good so far and they will be as long as Lop is here.

If Lop continues to be good, and there's no reason he won't be, Shi would find it impossible to sack him.

I hope you’re right but history at other clubs suggests disputes between owners and managers rarely end well.

I can't see why you're continuing with the money line when it's clear he isn't personally money motivated.

He wants the tools to do his job, the tools he was promised.

No wonder he's pissed off.

If that's the case he'd have quit already. He won't though, because he wants paying off.

Back