• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

Given the Hobbs stuff, it reads like the sudden "no money" policy must have come from above Shi. Surely he wouldn't have let us publicly give out numbers like that knowing he never intended to back it?

Yes, I accept that many will find that (Shi never intending to back it) perfectly plausible.
I think that’s why we’ve not really heard from Hobbs for a bit now, as they’ve thrown him under the bus a bit too

He’s already said in the interview with Ballague that they moved the goalposts again. Hobbs had said originally that we were targeting players in the £8-15m bracket. He’s gone quiet since it became evident we weren’t spending anything. Hence the Jeff letter.
True. But the “£50m profit” was trotted out early doors and we currently sitting at around that with the Cunha/Traore deals. But can’t see us raising more than £10m from Jonny and Podence. Which would suggest - little activity unless loans with obligations.

None of it makes sense. If there isn’t money, why is JL moaning when it will be there in black and white. If there is, why aren’t they spending at least some so appease the manager rather than letting this shit show play out.

The “letter from shi” has clarified fuck all yet people going. “Oh thanks for the honesty Jeff” when he’s said fuck all and has a record of bullshitting.

True. But the “£50m profit” was trotted out early doors and we currently sitting at around that with the Cunha/Traore deals. But can’t see us raising more than £10m from Jonny and Podence. Which would suggest - little activity unless loans with obligations.

None of it makes sense. If there isn’t money, why is JL moaning when it will be there in black and white. If there is, why aren’t they spending at least some so appease the manager rather than letting this shit show play out.

The “letter from shi” has clarified fuck all yet people going. “Oh thanks for the honesty Jeff” when he’s said fuck all and has a record of bullshitting.
You’re right that none of it really makes any sense.

I think I mentioned last week but I was told in June by someone that we “couldn’t spend a penny until we brought £100m in sales”.

Jeff also said the January spend was what we budget for this summer. So bringing in £93m should allow us to now spend again, surely?

We also got way more for neves, Collins and Raul than anyone expected!

Well this is a complete fucking shambles isn't it.
If JL goes we are gunna struggle to get a decent coach for the foreseeable, what aspiring coach would trust anything the club say. Gary O'Neal might be as good as it gets.

There's plenty of managers would give their eye teeth to have the players Wolves have got. (Maybe without the owners, I'll grant you) but we have got some quality players there now.

When you compare the starting eleven on Monday to what we had a year ago for our first match of the season, they’re poles apart in terms of quality.

Lopetegui is right that we need reinforcements and need to keep adding to this, but he’s got a very good base.

What’s more frustrating is this is dragging on a bit for the sake of two big egos. It’s not a great look for either of them.

When you compare the starting eleven on Monday to what we had a year ago for our first match of the season, they’re poles apart in terms of quality.

Lopetegui is right that we need reinforcements and need to keep adding to this, but he’s got a very good base.

What’s more frustrating is this is dragging on a bit for the sake of two big egos. It’s not a great look for either of them.
or for any subsequent manager, unless they don’t have an ego like gary o’neil or dean smith or bruno lage.

I have a question if anyone can answer.

If Lopetegui does quit, could we just retain his rights so he can't manage anyone until his original contract is up?

2 years is a long time for him to just sit about doing fuck all.

I don't think that's a common occurrence, and there's plenty of acrimony between managers and owners/CEOs over the years, so everyone seems to find a way

Not a defence of Fosun by any means, and from what we know the money available to Lop this summer is pitiful and promises have been broken etc...

... but aren't most non-PL clubs around Europe hardly awash with money either? He's not exactly a dead cert to walk into another good job that will offer him the fabled 'warchest'?

Not a defence of Fosun by any means, and from what we know the money available to Lop this summer is pitiful and promises have been broken etc...

... but aren't most non-PL clubs around Europe hardly awash with money either? He's not exactly a dead cert to walk into another good job that will offer him the fabled 'warchest'?
Not even sure he is after a warchest, would probably be happy with a wallet containing a credit card with a remaining balance

It would be a very Jordan move in that it would be legally within his rights but practically an inevitable pigs ear.

Just wondered if it worked like the NFL. He could quit but if he wants to manage somewhere else that team would have to come to agreement with Wolves. It would make sense to me at least, if he was sacked he'd be paid up, why would it not work the other way.

Mutual consent is the way it's usually handled but I was just wondering what happened if an agreement wasn't reached.

Just wondered if it worked like the NFL. He could quit but if he wants to manage somewhere else that team would have to come to agreement with Wolves. It would make sense to me at least, if he was sacked he'd be paid up, why would it not work the other way.

Mutual consent is the way it's usually handled but I was just wondering what happened if an agreement wasn't reached.
If they sacked him then they'd have to pay up his remaining contract or he could sue them for wrongful dismissal depending on the terms if they didn't pay up.

Most likely they keep paying his weekly wage until his contract ends regardless of next employment. From memory Pardew was paid by Newcastle for years after he got the boot.

If they sacked him and told him to leave the building Fosun would have no control if Lop went to the press.

That would be fun.

If they sacked him then they'd have to pay up his remaining contract or he could sue them for wrongful dismissal depending on the terms if they didn't pay up.

Most likely they keep paying his weekly wage until his contract ends regardless of next employment. From memory Pardew was paid by Newcastle for years after he got the boot.

If they sacked him and told him to leave the building Fosun would have no control if Lop went to the press.

That would be fun.

I'm aware of that. If he quits then surely he'd be bound by the terms in the same way wolves are? IE he cannot.work until that contract is over/ Wolves come to an agreement that allows him to.

I doubt this happens either way, he's a mercenary so leaving that kind of money on the table is unlikely.

Back