• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

UEFA Nations League & Euro 2020 Qualification

HNzTykW-

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/oct/04/england-squad-announced-for-croatia-and-spain-041018

Cant fault Southgate, he's doing this shizzle the correct way.

I'll fault him for as long as he keeps picking fucking Welbeck ;)

Winks? Not the most inspiring selection.

Nice to see players coming through the U21s, but a couple of good games for Derby seems have allowed Southgate to rip up his no-champ rule for Mount.

As for Tarkowski..

He's been pretty decent so far this season tbf

Sancho finally gets his call up too.

Is Lingard out with an injury?

He's played 54 minutes in the league.

I don't like Sturridge but he had more of a case here.

He's a finisher :) [in Eddie Jones terms]

You could also pick Sturridge, neither of them would play unless there are injuries I guess.

Good that Gomez, Sancho and Maddison have been called up.

Not sure what Welbeck, Winks, Mount are doing in there and also not sure why we have 4 keepers in the squad.

Really pleased to see James Maddison get a chance. And I look forward to deploying full on smug mode at work tomorrow as I've been a lone voice in saying that Maddison is a better player than Jack Grealish, and was the best young English talent in the Championship last season. And that Maddison would get called up for England before Grealish.

Loads of Villa fans at work who not only laughed at that suggestion, but were adamant that Grealish was better than Neves.

I'd be moving back to 4-2-3-1 now personally.

I don't think the current shape gets the best out of our top players and if anything exacerbates the issue in the middle of the park.

Really pleased to see James Maddison get a chance. And I look forward to deploying full on smug mode at work tomorrow as I've been a lone voice in saying that Maddison is a better player than Jack Grealish, and was the best young English talent in the Championship last season. And that Maddison would get called up for England before Grealish.

Loads of Villa fans at work who not only laughed at that suggestion, but were adamant that Grealish was better than Neves.

They're idiots for comparing Grealish to Neves in the first place.

As for the squad. Some good (Gomez, Sancho and Maddison) and some bad (Mount, Welbz, Winks and Tarkowski). Feel a bit sorry for Coady as he's far better than Tarkowski and we only have Stones who can play in the middle of a 3.

I'd be moving back to 4-2-3-1 now personally.

I don't think the current shape gets the best out of our top players and if anything exacerbates the issue in the middle of the park.

To play Mount and Sancho we have to go to that shape. Not sure Winks or Welbeck could play in the current shape either

A Wolves style 3-4-3 might work too.

I do wonder if we might regret giving Southgate a Pardew-esque contract. We definitely over-achieved in Russia and it was great to see a team playing together, but Sweden aside, I don't we actually played *that* well.

To play Mount and Sancho we have to go to that shape. Not sure Winks or Welbeck could play in the current shape either

If we want to keep 3 at the back, we need to shift more towards a Nuno style shape, or like Spurs when they line up with Alli & Eriksen in and around Kane.

The current system either leaves the deeper midfielder too isolated and results in Alli and Lingard (or whoever is in those places) having to drop and it nullifies them in an attacking sense.

Winks is an absolute waste of a shirt.

A Wolves style 3-4-3 might work too.

I do wonder if we might regret giving Southgate a Pardew-esque contract. We definitely over-achieved in Russia and it was great to see a team playing together, but Sweden aside, I don't we actually played *that* well.

I certainly wouldn't have extended his contract, partly because I think he's not very good and partly because it's a stupid idea to give a Country manager anything beyond the next tournament.

Not sure 3-4-3 would work for either Mount or Sancho as Mount is a #10 and Sancho is definitely a chalk on the boots winger.

I'd go:
Pickford

Walker-----Stones----Maguire-----Shaw

--------Dier------Henderson-------

Sterling------Maddison-------Sancho

Kane​

That's a pretty strong team and all the players fit rather than the messy 3-4-2-1 Southgate wants to play.

I certainly wouldn't have extended his contract, partly because I think he's not very good and partly because it's a stupid idea to give a Country manager anything beyond the next tournament.

Not sure 3-4-3 would work for either Mount or Sancho as Mount is a #10 and Sancho is definitely a chalk on the boots winger.

I'd go:
Pickford

Walker-----Stones----Maguire-----Shaw

--------Dier------Henderson-------

Sterling------Maddison-------Sancho

Kane​

That's a pretty strong team and all the players fit rather than the messy 3-4-2-1 Southgate wants to play.

Definitely looks a good team, for 3-4-3 I would go:

Pickford
Gomez - Stones - Maguire
Walker - Dier - Henderson - Shaw
Sterling - Kane - Rashford​

It pains me to pick Rashford, but not sure who else could play there - Sancho doesn't start many for Dortmund and I don't know abotu Maddison playing there. Equally I'd rather we had a keeper with better feet, but we don't.

Back