• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Craig Pawson: The Verdict

So why play him if he isnt fit. He is an average championship footballer who will add nothing to our squad.

Because first team minutes will help him get match fIt frank.

Personally I'm not amazed by him - but the team is more important than the individuals, and he'll fit lambert system well.

Because first team minutes will help him get match fIt frank.

Personally I'm not amazed by him - but the team is more important than the individuals, and he'll fit lambert system well.

But surely you don't give someone first team minutes in a game we were chasing, and then play him out of position. Sorry but it made no sense to me.

Lambert is experimenting but at the same time playing a dangerous game, he's looking more at players he thinks will be good enough next season. So with that he's swapping and changing and playing a watching brief. He's going to cull a fair few in the summer at this rate..

I'd love to know how Marshall won't add anything to our team when he's actually right sided unlike our current right back.

I'd love to know how Marshall won't add anything to our team when he's actually right sided unlike our current right back.

So now we have a right sided, injured player being played on the left hand side. Again, it made no sense. Very poor management.

So now we have a right sided, injured player being played on the left hand side. Again, it made no sense. Very poor management.

I agree it's almost farcical to play an unfit player out of position but it's also farcical writing him off saying he will add nothing when we've resorted to playing a central midfielder at right back. I don't expect him to be any great shakes but better than Coady? Yes.

Don't think Coady's been that bad at RB, but hope Marshall turns out to be better, I'm not writing him off but you have to admit, it seems to make no sense playing him left wing when we are chasing a game, surely a more gifted footballer such as Ronan should have been given the go, nothing to lose. I get the point that PL wants to see what we have and how they perform in different roles but that decision seems very bizarre

I agree it's almost farcical to play an unfit player out of position but it's also farcical writing him off saying he will add nothing when we've resorted to playing a central midfielder at right back. I don't expect him to be any great shakes but better than Coady? Yes.

So a converted forward (he's 2 footed by the way) is better than a converted midfielder at right back. And you're basing this opinion on what exactly?

Given our central midfield creates bugger all, we need attacking threat from our full backs (it's the only reason Mr Gloves is anywhere near the team). Coady tries his hardest and defends ok but attacks invariably end when he gets the ball because we all know what sort of quality he offers on the whole. Marshall should help us out in that respect.

Judging him on two 12 minute sub appearances (one of which hardly anyone saw) is perverse and I refuse to believe anyone slagging him off watched him extensively for Blackburn, Wednesday or Stoke.

Given our central midfield creates bugger all, we need attacking threat from our full backs (it's the only reason Mr Gloves is anywhere near the team). Coady tries his hardest and defends ok but attacks invariably end when he gets the ball because we all know what sort of quality he offers on the whole. Marshall should help us out in that respect.

Judging him on two 12 minute sub appearances (one of which hardly anyone saw) is perverse and I refuse to believe anyone slagging him off watched him extensively for Blackburn, Wednesday or Stoke.

I've seen plenty of him in reserve football but not much first team (Leicester was the last time). It is hard to judge him on his sub performances and I'm not judging him on them.

I do find it bizarre people think he's a full back and Coady isn't when they've both had the same transition albeit Marshall has had a few games more.

Absolutely this.

I've seen plenty of him in reserve football.
Yes, I was going to grant you an exemption ;) He left Stoke a very long time ago though mate. It'd be like me assessing Sam Winnall or Scott Malone purely on the Academy games they played for us in 2011 or so.

I wasn't mad keen on his signing but you cannot judge him on his two Wolves appearances so far, it's madness.

Yes, I was going to grant you an exemption ;) He left Stoke a very long time ago though mate. It'd be like me assessing Sam Winnall or Scott Malone purely on the Academy games they played for us in 2011 or so.

I wasn't mad keen on his signing but you cannot judge him on his two Wolves appearances so far, it's madness.

I hit the post reply button a bit too soon! Leicester was the last time I saw him and he was playing left side then. Very little pace but a genuine 2 footed threat and can shoot.

Edit: I agree, can't judge him on his Wolves apps yet. But silly management by Lambert to play him when clearly not fit.

DW, I have the highest respect for your knowledge of football, but where is the sense in playing an unfit player out of position when we were chasing the game?

I don't think it was the right change, Ronan would have been a better option. That one's on the manager.

I won't judge Marshall though until we're playing him where we signed him to play. We haven't signed him to play on the left, Cav, Weimann, Ronan, Mason will all be ahead of him in the queue to play there as well as Graham eventually.

I'm one of the few to have seen both Marshall mini-appearences. Neither have been inspiring.

Having said that I find it a bit odd that people he's becoming the new scape goat after virtually no minutes on the pitch and playing in a less familiar role to him whilst being a little unfit.

However I think it's a little odd how lambert chucked him on to chase a game

I tend to agree with Quirk - i think Lambert s already experimenting with next season in mind. But then why didn't he expriment with Ronan? Hmmm...

Dull game, neither team deserved to win. Doubly unfortunate with their goal but while generally we often get plenty of soft, unimportant decisions, for some reason critical ones regularly go against us.
To some extent you can organise poorer defenders to be an adequate unit (as PL seems to have done) but we lack any appearance of a forward line at the moment. Really critical to fix this for next season.
Just want us to get a couple of wins in the next couple of weeks to banish that horrible, lingering fear of being dragged in to the relegation fight.

Three of our next four home league games are against Wigan (anchored in the bottom three all season), Blues (since Zola came in I'd be very surprised if more than one or two teams in the entire country had worse form across that period) and Rotherham (worst team I've seen at this level since Stockport in 01/02), if we don't get points there then it'll be time to worry.

Problem is as you've pointed out recently, we're not a very good team and don't just turn up and beat the lower placed teams. Wigan and Rotherham have already beaten and drawn against us respectively. Plus playing at home against teams who could easily just sit back is obviously an issue for us at the minute.

Back