• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Tottenham: Verdict Thread

I like Sa (penalty aside) much more energetic and keen to push us forward - that might be on Bruno though.
Sa has to come out there or else its a free shot on goal. The gamble is though, you get the timing out by a fraction and its going to be a penalty.
I loved Rui but he would be a disaster in how Bruno wants to play. For all our chat on downgrading, Mendes links etc Sa looks the business. His positioning is good, his speed off the line is rapid and like that his first action when getting the ball is looking for an option to get us going forward quickly.

Excellent performance today, shame about the result but that was so one sided its untrue. Spurs are very very lucky to be heading home with the points, they didn't even deserve a draw.

If this is how Bruno is going to have us playing he has my full support, that was far more exciting and encouraging than anything we saw from Nuno in a long time and I was a big fan of Nuno.

Traore was fantastic today, unplayable but again he should have scored. Either dink or take it around Lloris instead of blasting it at him.

Kilman too was immense, that tackle on Son in the second half was a bit like the Bennett one at Chelsea a couple of years ago (well getting there anyway).

Spurs offered very little and we theashed them 0-1! But for the penalty they offered little else. Their wanking over Kane was amusing, you could see Kane was only biding his time until City come calling.

I hope we get this tricky month over and at the end of ot Neves and Traore are still here plus a couple of additions and things will be looking up, especially when Raul gets more game time in his legs.

Great to be back, great performance and gave the lads a standing ovation despite the defeat.

It's in our eyes, don't worry about that. The scoring problem with Nuno was we didn't try to get forward enough.

Maybe they didn't have practice for 2 years under Nuno..lol.

We need a Lukaku or Vardy..

I know Jimenez's goal record isn't as good as the above two, but it isn't terrible....So I'm not sure that's the way forward, unless changing to two up front. Providing Jimenez returns to scoring similarly to before his injury.

The big difference between Wolves and 5th place, for example, over the last 2 years, has been an inability to find a goalscorer(s) to help Jimenez in the team.
Last season Wolves scored 32 goals less than 5th, and the season before that, finished 16 goals behind 5th.
Obviously Jimenez scoring an extra 13 goals, the season before, closed the gap a bit, but it's still a big margin behind.

As much of a miss Neto is, for example, he's still yet to prove he's a regular goalscorer, despite being an exciting player. He only scores around 1 in 7/8, and Traore is...Well...Inconsistent in his finishing, which is putting it kindly.

I still think there's not enough threat, going forward, in the middle of the pitch to help Jimenez, besides a Neves strike from 25 yards.

The appreciation of those in our pack who lost there fight against COVID at halftime was a great tribute by the club, applauded by many thousands including many Spurs fans.
We will all feel robbed tonight following the result but perhaps all the footballing community won today. It was a classy touch
On the game, Some great points made and we did deserve more.
Only two points; I sincerely don’t think Sa is a down grade on Patricio, in fact he adds something extra that Rui never gave us in his quick distribution and anticipation off his line
Secondly, love him or hate him, but Adama is the only player who genuinely gets everyone’s arse of their seat and that’s the entertainment we want to see, hopefully Bruno can add goal scoring composure to his game
Overall positive
MoM Kilman for me

As much as I'm desperate for some signings at the same time when they play that well it's hard to think of who shouldn't be in the side.

I think PuntsWolf suggestion is probably the best in getting the players in to play with a back 4 then we can incorporate MGW. It's obvious Lage is a good coach with how well he's got them playing in such a short time. It's actually quite mouth watering thinking of that extra attacking player with our new style if we manage to get the signings we need.

I know Jimenez's goal record isn't as good as the above two, but it isn't terrible....So I'm not sure that's the way forward, unless changing to two up front. Providing Jimenez returns to scoring similarly to before his injury.

The big difference between Wolves and 5th place, for example, over the last 2 years, has been an inability to find a goalscorer(s) to help Jimenez in the team.
Last season Wolves scored 32 goals less than 5th, and the season before that, finished 16 goals behind 5th.
Obviously Jimenez scoring an extra 13 goals, the season before, closed the gap a bit, but it's still a big margin behind.

As much of a miss Neto is, for example, he's still yet to prove he's a regular goalscorer, despite being an exciting player. He only scores around 1 in 7/8, and Traore is...Well...Inconsistent in his finishing, which is putting it kindly.

I still think there's not enough threat, going forward, in the middle of the pitch to help Jimenez, besides a Neves strike from 25 yards.
Agree that the Jimenez we knew wasn't shabby at all. Obviously he isn't up to speed yet this season.
From what i have seen we will get there IF we get a couple of players in. The midfielder who can score and go box to box, and win tackles is vital (is there one?) and a goal scorer.
In fairness you have it pretty much nailed on. You seem to know more about us than your own team..LOL.

No shit Sherlock! 🤣

Raul is currently on 34 Prem goals, tied 201st all time with Charlie Austin, Mikael Forssell, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Marcus Gayle, Muzzy Izzet, Robert Lee, Aaron Lennon, Peter Ndlovu and Dennis Wise.

I always make the point to people scoring in the Prem is hard, and there are some names there you could consider 'goal scorers' and I think most would be surprised 'only' made it to 34 goals.

Hoping after a few more rounds of this new reffing style of not giving a free kick for the slightest touch will see an end to players going down like they have been shot every fookin time (looking at you Son and Deli Alli*).
Must be a difficult time in the Grealish household though as tries to work out how he will now get cheap free kicks every 2 mins.

*The one where Neves played a thunderous 1-2 with your bollocks is fair game to go down like that though

Took him a while to recover from it. Probably had the physio try and dig them back out at FT
The point at which the ref went over to him and Ali telling him where it hurt made me laugh as the ref patted him on the back as if to say there's nothing anybody can do about that.

Adama Traore with all the coaching in the world won't start scoring goals consistently just as Henri Camara didn't.

He'll still score eye catching goals and have days where he's out of this world but we can't and shouldn't rely on him for a source of goals, rather take any he does score as a bonus.

We seem to be universally agreed that we need better defenders to iron out these stupid defensive errors that lead to goals but not at the other end, there's this blind faith that players will suddenly start finishing.
They won't.

Defensively today you cant mitigate for Neves passing to Spurs, just as you can't for Jimenez hypothetically missing an open goal because its an aberration when they're ordinarily consistent but nobody can tell me that they had confidence in Traore going through one on one and it leading to a goal.

This theme of "if only we didn't make a stupid mistake/if only we took our chances" will linger under Bruno just as it did under Nuno without new signings and backing from the executive lot.

Until then we'll spite ourselves drawing games we ought to win and losing games we should draw.

I agree with you Lincs on Adama. Neto finishes all of those 1v1's and for all he was exciting today he is part of the problem.

If we play 3 up top we need all 3 to score goals as all successful teams who have 3 up top do.

Watching Tuchel's 3-4-3 you can also see both wing backs final ball is threatening and neither Semedo nor Marçal have that right now.

Our movement is good and it is exhilarating to watch but 3-4-3 with the current players and system isn't going to work unless we get goals.

If that means a change in system I'm not sure the players are ready for that either.

Proper Catch22 but I trust Bruno to get something from these players.

This theme of "if only we didn't make a stupid mistake/if only we took our chances" will linger under Bruno just as it did under Nuno without new signings and backing from the executive lot.

Until then we'll spite ourselves drawing games we ought to win and losing games we should draw.
So if we get new signings the mistakes will stop ?

Back