• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Arsenal: Verdict Thread

Thought we were in for a mauling pre kick off. Great team performance/spirit. Doc, oh dear. Sa`s distribution, Oh dear. I would rather he lumped it up field rather than play potential hospital passes. OK, we`d lose possession but I would rather lose possession in the opposition`s half than send my blood pressure soaring to new heights and put our outfield players under unnecessary pressure.

Not sure what was wrong with Sa's distribution tonight?

If it makes you nervous then that's your fault, saying you'd prefer us to lump it to no one and lose possession rather than attempting to work it forward is ridiculous.

"Gerrit forwud"

To be fair they're one of the 3 best teams in the country and we were seriously understrength tonight. I was expecting far worse
I was expecting 5 or 6 tonight. Thought they battled really well, lack of quality up top, never really cut them open.

It's annoying that when the players work so hard they don't get the support from match officials.

Though GON, handled the questions really well, better than. I would have of done, given the shit ref.

If it makes you nervous then that's your fault, saying you'd prefer us to lump it to no one and lose possession rather than attempting to work it forward is ridiculous.

"Gerrit forwud"

I mean he did just pass it straight out of play at least twice but I price it in with him.

He's very poor on the second goal, not that it mattered.

"Gerrit forwud"

Phrase is a “time and place” first 15 minutes of the second half Arsenal were pressing us high up the field which caused 3 losses of possession in our own third from playing out from the back. Problem is we regularly play about 3-4 passes at the back then launch it anyway so it’s a bit of a waste of time.

Arsenal didn't get out of 1st gear

Boubacar MotM for me, thought he competed very well across the middle and had very little help from Doyle who I thought ran around a lot but just isn't a defensive midfielder.

Gomes and RAN out of position was just another bizarre GoN thing.

Doc is an appalling footballer, but most of us knew that already Bueno and Gones literally checked back rather than pass him the ball.

The side put out tonight gets relegated 10 times out of 10

The South Bank was a fun place to be tonight.

Last edited:
I mean he did just pass it straight out of play at least twice but I price it in with him.

A few times he had the ball, the director in Bein, cut to a replay, then we cut back and Arsenal had the ball around our box I said to my pal Sa may have lost the ball

Regardless, the idea of just lumping it forward instead is proper old school/Sunday league! Especially when we have no one remotely likely to win an aerial duel.

Agree on their second, lost his bearings badly, typically he'd made an outstanding save from Martinelli (?) a minute before.

Matheus Cunha on my mind and he's scoring all the time...
There majority round by me struggled with that one. Probably due to being in the pub since noon for starters.

Doc was summed up in the first half when a flicked on free kick fell to him in their box a simple of control and he could’ve shot or put a good cross but instead the ball bounced of him and possession was just about retained.

Regardless, the idea of just lumping it forward instead is proper old school/Sunday league! Especially when we have no one remotely likely to win an aerial duel.

Agree on their second, lost his bearings badly, typically he'd made an outstanding save from Martinelli (?) a minute before.

It’s extreme high risk though especially against a side like Arsenal. Knocking it long isn’t always aimless nor is it going back to a primitive version of Graham Taylor tactics. When sides press you high you often need to by-pass it.

Running past the Albion
Scoring number 2
Looks good (looks good)
Looks fine (looks fine)
Matheus Cunha on my mind
And he's scoring all the time
I couldn’t possibly want this to catch on any harder

It’s extreme high risk though especially against a side like Arsenal. Knocking it long isn’t always aimless nor is it going back to a primitive version of Graham Taylor tactics. When sides press you high you often need to by-pass it.
I thought we largely dealt with the press well tonight. Our problem was there was no attacking outlet once Hwang had gone off.

Chirewa was neat and tidy but not threatening like Sarabia can be, and that's understandable, but it's very easy to defend against

I thought we largely dealt with the press well tonight. Our problem was there was no attacking outlet once Hwang had gone off.

Chirewa was neat and tidy but not threatening like Sarabia can be, and that's understandable, but it's very easy to defend against

As I said time and place, first half it was fine but early on second half it wasn’t working and we gave up possession at least 3 times in our last 3rd.

I think you need to read the post I was initially responding to.

But anyway, it's high risk just delivering the ball back to their CBs as soon as our keeper gets it, which it seems quite a few fans would be happy with. For decades I've heard the following at Molineux.

"Don't piss about with it"
"Just gerit forward"

Then
"You've lost it just whacking it forward!"
"You've given it them back!"

If you don't try and at least maintain possession for even short periods of time you'll just face wave after wave of attacks and possession.

I think you need to read the post I was initially responding to.

But anyway, it's high risk just delivering the ball back to their CBs as soon as our keeper gets it, which it seems quite a few fans would be happy with. For decades I've heard the following at Molineux.

"Don't piss about with it"
"Just gerit forward"

Then
"You've lost it just whacking it forward!"
"You've given it them back!"

If you don't try and at least maintain possession for even short periods of time you'll just face wave after wave of attacks and possession.

Again I’ve not advocated aimlessly launching the ball, I’ve said giving the ball to Hugo when he’s 6 yards from the bar line and being pressed it’s not a good option. Also we often pass it around at the back then knock it long anyway.
If you’ve got the right personnel then fine but we don’t at times.

Just seen the goals. Picking on Doherty for the first is unfair, I'm not a fan, but if you are calling him out for that then it's agenda driven. For the second which didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things Sa didn't have a clue where his near post was which is a bit shit

Back