• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Arsenal: Verdict Thread

Was funny how the crowd went mad at Paul Tierney for every call against Wolves, PL refs are crap but tonight wasn’t a game where the performance of the officials needs to be questioned.

Just seen the goals. Picking on Doherty for the first is unfair, I'm not a fan, but if you are calling him out for that then it's agenda driven. For the second which didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things Sa didn't have a clue where his near post was which is a bit shit

Doherty is weak there, no doubt about it. He's the only one that can do anything to prevent the goal and he doesn't.

In general he just doesn't belong, he's a very poor footballer.

Doherty is weak there, no doubt about it. He's the only one that can do anything to prevent the goal and he doesn't.

In general he just doesn't belong, he's a very poor footballer.

Looked very clumsy challenge on Jesus once he'd lost the initial header too, pretty much dragged him to the ground.

I get the criticism of Sa on the 2nd goal, but I feel like after he flung himself down to make the initial save he kind of lost his bearings and left his near post exposed. Mistake, yeah, but not aggregious in the circumstances IMO.

Was funny how the crowd went mad at Paul Tierney for every call against Wolves, PL refs are crap but tonight wasn’t a game where the performance of the officials needs to be questioned.
Disagree. Tierney was shit for both sides but time and time again he blew for an Arsenal foul because their bloke fell to the floor holding some part of his body. To be fair, he gave a couple of fouls against them that weren't but the vast majority were in their favour. Tierney wasn't the reason we lost but he influenced the game greatly with several shit decisions. Fortunately, none of them really impacted the two important moments in the game. But it was still as shit a performance I have seen from a ref this season. Par for the course for him. Modern day Clive Thomas.

I get the criticism of Sa on the 2nd goal, but I feel like after he flung himself down to make the initial save he kind of lost his bearings and left his near post exposed. Mistake, yeah, but not aggregious in the circumstances IMO.
Careful now. Some folks like to ignore the numerous times he has saved us from a goal in favour of slating him for every single thing.

Disagree. Tierney was shit for both sides but time and time again he blew for an Arsenal foul because their bloke fell to the floor holding some part of his body. To be fair, he gave a couple of fouls against them that weren't but the vast majority were in their favour. Tierney wasn't the reason we lost but he influenced the game greatly with several shit decisions. Fortunately, none of them really impacted the two important moments in the game. But it was still as shit a performance I have seen from a ref this season. Par for the course for him. Modern day Clive Thomas.

Nah how can he influence the game greatly without it influencing the result. I thought most his calls were fair some 50/50 but could see his logic in them certainly no WTF moments.

Nah how can he influence the game greatly without it influencing the result. I thought most his calls were fair some 50/50 but could see his logic in them certainly no WTF moments.
For one, he stopped play when we won the ball and were looking to move forward. Two, he broke up play far too often with needless calls that stopped the flow of the game. It influences the game but Arsenal were the better team and the result was the right one. C'mon man, put the gold tinted glasses on. ;)

Thought we were superb given the circumstances. I expected a mauling, so there were quite a few positives to take from that.

Didn’t expect anything from this game and after seeing the team sheet expected a mauling, but I was surprisingly pleased with the effort, some of our ball control and commitment.

With our situation and run of games added to the injuries, I can’t blame GON for trying to protect the players with the limited rotational options we have. Bournemouth and Luton are the bigger prize for points.

On the game probably 0-2 was a fair result as Arsenal were clearly the better side, but the manner of the goals which were a bit flukey we could also argue that it flattered them. Sa did make a couple of excellent instinctive saves that kept the score respectable.

Doc has probably had his day now and we need to replace with Bueno given the opportunity in the last few game to gain experience.

MOM for me was Doyle followed by Bouba and Gomes.

Last word on the officiating was summed up in the first minute when White clearly headed the ball out for a throw from our kick off and the lino gave it to Arsenal. That set the standard of bias for the rest of the game where any 50/50 balls we won because we were stronger in the challenge resulted in a free kick to the Arse!

Enough said, we move on

Overall quite enjoyed the day and match, perhaps because rather than despite my expectations being lowered spectacularly in the build up. Crowd were good and the effort from the team can’t be faulted. Bueno H was alright enough to make Doherty’s regular selection above him a continued puzzle and GON question mark. Enjoyed Traore’s performance, including how he often starts running like a cartoon character stepping on hot coals. Slightly surprised at Doyle’s selection as one of the better players as he badly mishit several passes and missed a couple of obvious forward runs in the second half - his forte - while continuing to get bypassed or outrun too easily at times. I’m aware that I might be guilty of viewing Doyle as emblematic of a concern about our horizons being lowered rather than reviewing him objectively. Basically he seems likely to be a decent championship / lower top tier player and I guess I should be resigning myself to that being the best we can aspire to in the current Fosun era. That kind of mood (like others I find it hard not to compare the approach last night to recent years when I went with genuine hope of beating Arsenal) is offset by the happiness in the effort and spirit, so I’m looking forward to the week ahead.

I find it hard not to compare the approach last night to recent years when I went with genuine hope of beating Arsenal) is offset by the happiness in the effort and spirit, so I’m looking forward to the week ahead.
If we had Neto, Cunha and a fully fit Ait-Nouri available I would have had a genuine hope of beating them last night. We beat City earlier this season

Last edited:
Surely Doyle is ideal as back up and an alternative when required, good squad player especially given his cost?
Ability wise yes, stylistically I'd prefer someone with attributes closer to the players they'd be replacing if we are going to continue to play a midfield 2 when everyone is fit. As I said yesterday if we were genuinely looking to build a squad I'd sign him and flip him for profit.

Surely Doyle is ideal as back up and an alternative when required, good squad player especially given his cost?
A few have made their mind up on Doyle already & as history shows, their opinions will now not change.

He's a good squad option for a club of our level. The price we're due to pay for him is extremely smart business. Yesterday he moved the ball well, he broke up play, he got his head down on at least three occasions in the second half when he picked the ball up on the edge of our box & got us up the field. Sure, there were times where he missed a pass forward, or miss-hit a pass - but that could be said of anyone in a Wolves shirt. Some get an easier ride than others. He's completely fine as an option. One thing we should absolutely not be doing is "flipping him like Afobe" (unless someone offers us a stupid amount, which they won't) - because it's highly unlikely we'd replace him & that's how you end up with no squad depth.

Everyone was fine yesterday, bar Doherty who looked out of his depth & was an attacking vacuum.

Ability wise yes, stylistically I'd prefer someone with attributes closer to the players they'd be replacing if we are going to continue to play a midfield 2 when everyone is fit. As I said yesterday if we were genuinely looking to build a squad I'd sign him and flip him for profit.
I think that's fair enough but I was thinking of him as an option if we need to change our style mid game or for specific oppositions.

Slightly surprised at Doyle’s selection as one of the better players as he badly mishit several passes and missed a couple of obvious forward runs in the second half - his forte - while continuing to get bypassed or outrun too easily at times.
I'd agree with this, as the game wore on he definitely started to misplace passes and he's far to easy to bypass. He's ok as a squad player and I think he'll get better as he develops but he wasn't great last night.

Shout out to Doc for absolutely stinking the place out last night, I'm his "proper" position as well. Thought Bueno had a poor first half, lost his man a few times, he had a much better second half though.

For a 2-0 loss it was quite an enjoyable game!

Is it just lack of game time and sharpness that's affecting Hugos performances? I see no reason why he shouldn't play every game till the end of the season, then we'd know if he has a chance of making it.

Reactions: b3h
Is it just lack of game time and sharpness that's affecting Hugos performances? I see no reason why he shouldn't play every game till the end of the season, then we'd know if he has a chance of making it.
RAN being fit would be a reason.

Back