• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Arsenal: Verdict Thread

Doyle did ok yesterday but he is struggles with the physicality of the role. At one point he trailed in Rice’s wake like a kid chasing their dad. In fairness he won’t be facing players like Rice too often and Rice showed what a superb player he is yesterday, he’s got the lot. His strength and tackling is well known but some of his first time passing around our box was outstanding.

Should also say, I thought Chirewa had a pretty good game. Few nice touches, rarely gave the ball away and some nice play with Hwang in the first half.
Funny old game, I thought he looked completely out of his depth. The majority of the time he got the ball all he wanted to do was give it another Wolves player as soon as he could, usually going backwards.

Funny old game, I thought he looked completely out of his depth. The majority of the time he got the ball all he wanted to do was give it another Wolves player as soon as he could, usually going backwards.
I'd rather he gave it to another Wolves player rather than the Doc method of passing to an Arsenal shirt 🤣

Chirewa is clearly playing several levels above where he should be at this point in his career but for a kid I thought he did fairly well against a very good team.

Really enjoyed yesterday evening.
Atmosphere superb! Do feel that helped the players tbh. Impressed it lasted the entire game.
Thought almost everyone did well tbh, except the 2 wing backs being the weak links. As @Aikiwolf identifies, Hugo repeatedly didn't track runners. Doc was doc.
Arsenal scored the first at a key time (both goals at the end of each half). Had we got to ht at 0-0, who knows how the atmosphere could have developed.
Arteta teams are whinging whining cunts, in his style. Hope they win fuck all.

Tidy enough in a three and worth £5m, but he's got less mobility/physicality than Neves. Watching him track his man is embarrassing tbh, like being pressed by a toddler, and hes got no idea when to just give somebody a kick and take the yellow in transition

Seems to me it’d take some years of unbelievably astute recruitment to end up in a place where we can play just two CMs against the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, etc.

If JWP can make a good career at this level, so can Doyle, IMV.

Reactions: b3h
Tidy enough in a three and worth £5m, but he's got less mobility/physicality than Neves. Watching him track his man is embarrassing tbh, like being pressed by a toddler, and hes got no idea when to just give somebody a kick and take the yellow in transition

I'd say less physical than Neves but I'd say they're about par on mobility. Doyle looks more exposed because he's not bound by the conservative system than Neves played in but he seems to cover more ground in and out of possession than Neves did, which again could be partially down to styles of play at the time.

I think he's a good little footballer, better eye for a pass than any of the current alternatives which is useful when you're seeing more of the ball against an organized defence but you do notice the drop off in dynamism compared to Gomes, Lemina and even Traore when he's in there. Solid squad member and a useful option, for £5m it's a no brainer.

Last edited:
I disagree, Neves used to regularly bust a gut tracking and defending runners to get back and tackle on the edge of his own area. Always used to pop up on the edge of the opponents box for a shot too given the space.

Seems to me it’d take some years of unbelievably astute recruitment to end up in a place where we can play just two CMs against the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, etc.

But there’s a big difference in that, although a trundler, JWP possesses one outstanding attribute in a part of the game which can decide it. That means he can be carried (debatably) by various teams who can afford or gamble on the luxury. It’s not picking on Doyle to point out that most decent professionals aren’t so lucky.

Aware I won’t be able to escaping painting myself as doing exactly this, but I don’t dislike Doyle. Im just offering a counterpoint to what seems to be pretty overwhelming positivity (fine) and the equivalence with midfielders we’ve lost who were genuinely top class (which seems crackers to me). Perhaps it’s also a worry that rather than us signing him to be a squad option it might be the future archetype of our first XI signings.

We beat Man City with 2 this year

We beat Man City with 2 this year
Not really sustainable though is it. Just like we beat City off a brace from Adama, but that didn't suddenly make Adama City's kryptonite in the future.

Back