• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - 2 Brentford: "That Familiar Sinking Feeling" Verdict Thread

Rampant negativity when it isn't really justified isn't great, and starts to look like a willy-waving contest of seeing who can moan the loudest. This isn't happening at the moment though. The misgivings are totally justified, as has been outlined in the comments of the posters who attended that truly mind-boggingly awful performance last night.

Blind optimism that it will all be better soon without any evidence that there is a plan to make that happen is just as bad.

In the cold light of day, I still feel that was one of the worst performances from a Wolves side that I can remember being present for (I was in Oz for the Peterborough and Ipswich matches during Stale's time so I can't judge the two most likely comparators). Hoddle-ball was a dire drudge that left you with no enthusiasm for attending, but at least you felt a draw would be on the cards. From the moment Brentford scored last night you could predict there was no way back as we simply had nothing to threaten them with. At least with that buffoon Saunders in charge you knew he was going to be shown the door sooner rather than later and there was a turnaround on the way at that point. KJ isn't likely to be dispensed with while the ownership is in limbo, unless we go on a long run of rubbish like last night that threatens our divisional status. So it looks like we are going to bumble along and hope he can find some improvement. Great prospect at the moment.

As that is the case, we simply must go 4-2-3-1 with McDonald at the point of a midfield triangle and Coady and Price defensively behind him is the only way to go. Two defensive midfielders helps shore up the very shaky defence, and provides a couple of outballs to avoid the hoooooof of last night. Plus KMac has the chance to be creative without defensive duties. PLAY SOME BLOODY WINGERS. It means dropping one of Afobe and ALF but we absolutely have to do that. Our midfield is getting cut to ribbons.

Ok, finished with fans comments and will make a concerted effort in future to keep it that way.

Right, given that i don't really do tactics, style of play, formations etc, and given that the Manager is not going to be sacked, what needs to be done to get us performing again?

As someone has posted elsewhere, we've been pretty crap all season.

------------------------AFOBE / ALF

-HENRY / OJO------------KMAC-------------------BYRNE / RVLP

------------------COADY----------PRICE

The defence picks itself due to lack of suitable alternatives. On Saturday Doherty will be in for Iorfa due to his suspension and that may last a little longer dependent on whether his knee knock is anything serious.

Rampant negativity when it isn't really justified isn't great, and starts to look like a willy-waving contest of seeing who can moan the loudest. This isn't happening at the moment though. The misgivings are totally justified, as has been outlined in the comments of the posters who attended that truly mind-boggingly awful performance last night.

Blind optimism that it will all be better soon without any evidence that there is a plan to make that happen is just as bad.

In the cold light of day, I still feel that was one of the worst performances from a Wolves side that I can remember being present for (I was in Oz for the Peterborough and Ipswich matches during Stale's time so I can't judge the two most likely comparators). Hoddle-ball was a dire drudge that left you with no enthusiasm for attending, but at least you felt a draw would be on the cards. From the moment Brentford scored last night you could predict there was no way back as we simply had nothing to threaten them with. At least with that buffoon Saunders in charge you knew he was going to be shown the door sooner rather than later and there was a turnaround on the way at that point. KJ isn't likely to be dispensed with while the ownership is in limbo, unless we go on a long run of rubbish like last night that threatens our divisional status. So it looks like we are going to bumble along and hope he can find some improvement. Great prospect at the moment.

As that is the case, we simply must go 4-2-3-1 with McDonald at the point of a midfield triangle and Coady and Price defensively behind him is the only way to go. Two defensive midfielders helps shore up the very shaky defence, and provides a couple of outballs to avoid the hoooooof of last night. Plus KMac has the chance to be creative without defensive duties. PLAY SOME BLOODY WINGERS. It means dropping one of Afobe and ALF but we absolutely have to do that. Our midfield is getting cut to ribbons.

McDonald at the point of a midfield triangle and Coady and Price .

I agree with that, we have to start passing the ball higher up the pitch with a far higher level of quality which enables chance creation into Benik Afobe.

McDonald at the point of a midfield triangle and Coady and Price .

I agree with that, we have to start passing the ball higher up the pitch with a far higher level of quality which enables chance creation into Benik Afobe.

We both know that it will more than likely be Edwards...

Sadly, all this season is doing is showing how integral to our team's success Dicko actually is. I also fear Afobe will be off in January at this rate.

I said last night that when we went 4-3-3 it was like Coady had been asked to play like a less effective Dave Edwards.

A sentence I never thought I would hear myself say!

Edwards at #10 has never been and never will be the answer to our problems.

Stick Price in front of the back four and allow Coady and McDonald more attacking license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The amount of times we were in a decent attacking position last night only for Afobe to be 20-30 yards away from the action was criminal. I really thought we would come out for the second half with Afobe on the last defender and maybe try Wallace in the no.10 position - it couldn't have been any worse. ALF has two qualities, he runs the channels and he scores goals. Without any decent service his goal scoring qualities are ineffective. Hit the ball at him and more often than not it is going to come straight back at us. Hit the balls into the channels with nobody in the middle, the ball is going to come straight back at us.

The three up front we finished with had Afobe out of position, VLP out of position - we could have tried the same formation with Ojo and Henry on the pitch and moved Afobe to the middle, the change in formation may have made sense but not the personnel. It smacked of desperation rather than a calculated move.

Coady had a good season with Huddersfield last time out - nothing much for us so far. He reminds me of Gerrard but without the ability, the impact or the leadership qualities - so actually nothing like Gerrard.

Quietly confident for Saturday.

I'd like to see what Wallace can do as a #10 and Byrne on the wing I'd go:
Obvious back 5
Price
McDonald
Wallace
Henry
Byrne
Afobe

Middlesbrough have gone on a poor run so not all hope is lost, but I also fear another performance like last night, and they are a LOT better than Brentford. We could get thumped.

I think Paddy and Jolemai have got it right between them. We'll play 4-2-3-1 against Boro but he'll try and cram Edwards in there somewhere.

The former encourages me, the latter fills me with despair. I seriously doubt KJ's judgement when he prefers mediocrity like Edwards over Jack Price who, while no world-beater, is clearly part of our best team.

Last night is as bad as I can remember under Jackett. We’ve put in some lacklustre performances before but the lack of any ideas, focus or real effort form the team was apparent. Defensively we played like a team who had just shipped four goals in their previous game and they had little to no protection from the rest of the team. Martinez was reluctant to come off his line leading to a couple of misunderstandings with defenders leaving the ball for him, but him not actually being there. Baath was as bad as I can recall seeing him. Iorfa was as on Sunday, sloppy in possession and caught out several times defensively and looked shot of confidence. Golbourne is no longer the player he was and is probably not helped by a complete lack of competition for his place in the team. Hause is struggling like Iorfa, but was probably the pick of the back four (not exactly saying a lot). Doherty when he came on had one good run which forced a corner, but defensively he’s worse than anyone else we have and he couldn’t even be bothered to attempt to get back for the second goal. Awful footballer who we will have to play on Saturday, if Boro stick Adomah on him we’ll be slaughtered.

Midfield were even worse than the defence. We cannot afford to keep playing two in there especially if one of them is McDonald. Price was again dropped after one poor performance and was our best player when he came on. It got so bad at one point in the first half I actually said to myself we’re missing Dave Edwards at least he’d put some effort in. The lack of pressing outside of our final third was non-existent, Coady is generally a booking waiting to happen. He also rivals Edwards for the lack of any technical ability whatsoever. Ojo was a complete waste of a shirt, he spends more time on his backside than anything else. I’ll give Henry a pass last night as he’s probably been our most consistent threat this season. Although his delivery last night was nothing short of shocking at every opportunity. Van La Parra at least showed a willingness to run at his opponent but as usual no end product. The other perplexing thing is of course we spent a million on Byrne, yet he finds himself rooted to the bench. It’s inexplicable to me that we would rather play a player we don’t own (who has been next to useless 90% of the time) and a player we were actively trying to get rid of less than a month ago rather than give Byrne a chance.

Afobe had one good run from deep in the first half and then missed a presentable opportunity in the second. Other than that he’s virtually never in the penalty area unless it’s from a set piece. He needs to be played up top or not at all, he’s not a trequartista and someone needs to tell him that. Play him on the shoulder of the defence where he is effective and causes problems. The Afobe situation was of course compounded further when we went 433 and proceeded to shove him down the right wing in a manoeuvre worthy of Hoddle and Carl Cort. Le Fondre is not a lone forward and never will be. He is neither strong enough nor quick enough to operate in that position and desperately requires support and decent service if he is to thrive. Personally I think we’re going nowhere, on our day we can give most teams in this league a game, but for the rest we’re mid table at best and I can’t see that changing any time soon.

Totally outplayed by a team that's been struggling. I'm actually surprised they are were they are in the table.

Batth's having a mare at the moment. Coady offers nothing. Afobe looks like he has no interest without his mates.

Jackett has looked out of his depth this season and I think a lot of our failings are down to him.

Indeed, that's exactly what we were missing, a headless chicken. Edwards is not the answer, if we replace Coady then it has to be with Wallace rather than Edwards.

Yep that's exactly what I've said.

Oh I forgot certain members of this forum doesn't allow any praise of Edwards. Silly me.

Back to not posting as a punishment!!

Not aimed specifically at you Johnny.

Back