• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 Watford 2; The back down to earth with a bump, Verdict Thread

Just give him 45-60 mins though..if it doesnt work bring on Costa

He’s not at the point tactically where it’s right for him to start just yet. He will need more minutes eventually but with the good start we have had with others who understand the system better too. A bit like Dendoncker, he’ll get an opportunity when the time is right

Defensively he is improving but apart from a couple of games where he looked like he was getting it he has gone backwards with his movement. Imagine how dangerous he could be making runs in behind as wel as coming deep or receiving it in tight situations.

Defence and GK should be the same as long as they can though..more important

Defence and GK should be the same as long as they can though..more important

Why though Fred?

Nuno didn't think so yesterday as he hooked Jonny off early. Personally I'd drop Doc for Jonny on the right and put Vinny on the left against Brighton. Id like to see Cav involved, probably for Jota but Jota played much better with Vinagre than without.

Why though Fred?

Nuno didn't think so yesterday as he hooked Jonny off early. Personally I'd drop Doc for Jonny on the right and put Vinny on the left against Brighton. Id like to see Cav involved, probably for Jota but Jota played much better with Vinagre than without.
Because in a defence you play better when you know how others play and act in different situations..thats all..Vinagre had a good game but Jonny and Doc has been good all season..think he took them off was for playing international games

Doherty has done really well so far, but Vinagre on the left and Jonny on the right could be exciting stuff.

I'd be amazed after one 'poor' game if Nuno changes the defence, they've been pretty much rock solid up till now, possibly bring Dendoncker onto the bench (if he doesn't fancy Saiss) to shore up the midfield if we're being overrun. I can see possibly changes up front if he thinks we're a bit jaded i.e. Cav to start inplace of Jota/Jiminez/Costa, don't think he'll start Traore yet, probably still sees him as an impact sub

Because in a defence you play better when you know how others play and act in different situations..thats all..Vinagre had a good game but Jonny and Doc has been good all season..think he took them off was for playing international games

I don't think anybody expected the Jonny sub, certainly didn't look jaded and it was midfield we were losing the ball not out wide. However having made the change we immediately looked good and it provided more width.

Your first sentence has no basis in fact, especially given Watford's back four was substantially different from the previous week.

I'd be amazed after one 'poor' game if Nuno changes the defence, they've been pretty much rock solid up till now, possibly bring Dendoncker onto the bench (if he doesn't fancy Saiss) to shore up the midfield if we're being overrun. I can see possibly changes up front if he thinks we're a bit jaded i.e. Cav to start inplace of Jota/Jiminez/Costa, don't think he'll start Traore yet, probably still sees him as an impact sub

I would rather have Dendoncker on the bench ahead of Hause or Saiss. He's a better footballer than both, if we bring him on in midfield then he's more likely to have an impact than Romain (who is ok for closing out a game when you're in front, but otherwise why would you bring him on if there's not an injury).

I don't think anybody expected the Jonny sub, certainly didn't look jaded and it was midfield we were losing the ball not out wide. However having made the change we immediately looked good and it provided more width.

Your first sentence has no basis in fact, especially given Watford's back four was substantially different from the previous week.
Well i thought it was well known in football..no science here and my own philosophy, but if you can back up your idea of changing the defence all the time make things better, be my guest

I would rather have Dendoncker on the bench ahead of Hause or Saiss. He's a better footballer than both, if we bring him on in midfield then he's more likely to have an impact than Romain (who is ok for closing out a game when you're in front, but otherwise why would you bring him on if there's not an injury).
Agree with that

Maybe Watford changed their backfour because Kabasele got a red card and they lost 0-4 at home to Bournemouth..?

Well i thought it was well known in football..no science here and my own philosophy, but if you can back up your idea of changing the defence all the time make things better, be my guest

Nobody's saying you should change the defence all the time, but saying it shouldn't be changed is equally isn't true. Klopp has changed his defence plenty this season and Pep does it lots too.

Good managers play their best players for that game regardless.

Not if it is cracking totally, no..IMO

As Johnny points out, Liverpool were going along just fine with a back four of Robertson, Gomez, van Dijk, Alexander-Arnold. Conceded three league goals all season. But Klopp has judged that this is the right time for Lovren to come back in, two games played, 0 conceded.

The best managers are proactive, not reactive. Don't wait for the team to lose a game or leak a load of goals before you change it if you spot that there's a weakness growing.

That said I would not swap out any of the centre halves at this stage, Coady and Boly were good yesterday and while Bennett wasn't very good on the day, he's done enough for us to retain faith in him for now. Although in the long term that side of the pitch still needs looking at if we want to get where the club say we want to go.

Edit: Remember we dropped Batth and Miranda after QPR last season and neither ever really got their place back. You'd be hard stretched to say our defence was looking like a serious weak point at that time, we'd let in 15 goals in 14 games which is just fine. Fulham and Boro both finished in the top five with that kind of goals against record.

As Johnny points out, Liverpool were going along just fine with a back four of Robertson, Gomez, van Dijk, Alexander-Arnold. Conceded three league goals all season. But Klopp has judged that this is the right time for Lovren to come back in, two games played, 0 conceded.

The best managers are proactive, not reactive. Don't wait for the team to lose a game or leak a load of goals before you change it if you spot that there's a weakness growing.

That said I would not swap out any of the centre halves at this stage, Coady and Boly were good yesterday and while Bennett wasn't very good on the day, he's done enough for us to retain faith in him for now. Although in the long term that side of the pitch still needs looking at if we want to get where the club say we want to go.
Why change a defence that doesn't concede though? To have better attacking play, or can you have both ways(that is the best of course)? The manager decides which route to go of course and which players that will play

Agree on Bennett, old fashioned defender but has done the job so far

Why change a defence that doesn't concede though? To have better attacking play, or can you have both ways(that is the best of course)? The manager decides which route to go of course and which players that will play

I would say both Klopp and Pep change because certain players will do certain jobs depending on what they want to achieve with their tactics and thinking.

You can also factor in form and fitness into it too. Our medical staff keep our players in top notch condition which is part of why our defence is unchanged.

I would say both Klopp and Pep change because certain players will do certain jobs depending on what they want to achieve with their tactics and thinking.

You can also factor in form and fitness into it too. Our medical staff keep our players in top notch condition which is part of why our defence is unchanged.
They have European cups..that demands bigger squads + they have more equal quality of their players

Back