• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 Watford 2; The back down to earth with a bump, Verdict Thread

Bennett has done well so far, but of the back 3 he is the first one that needs an upgrade if we are to progress (Though he is hampered a bit by the LH side with Jonny & Boly being defensively more secure that him playing with Matt on the right)

I am in the lovely position of having seen every minute of wolves in the premier League for the first time ever! On the whole we are making a damn good fist of it, far better than our last visit to this hallowed league!

But.....

It's far from perfect. There are some areas that at the moment are a concern but if they continue could develop into a problem.

1. We don't score enough goals with our starting front 3.

That's a completely different issue to the we don't create any chances which was my whinge five years ago. We create plenty. We convert about 1 in 5 or 6 . That's not enough for Jota Costa and Raul combined.They need to score more.

2.Jonnys great but he is so right footed.

How many left foot crosses have come in? Vinagre gave us something extra. The problem is Jonny brings plenty of other things to the team and is too good to drop.

3. Traore is an impact sub full stop.

At the moment that's his role in this shape and it suits him and the team. The wing back experiment failed yesterday.

4. Moutinho gives possession too cheaply too often.

Really harsh I know. He is some player but he loses it too often and others have to commit fouls to cover often costing a yellow. Moutinho will also be the first player to get suspended under totting up along with Neves. Ruben picked up a card covering yesterday?

Now a reality check and just to make sure you get where I am coming from. My expectations bare far higher now than our last visit to this league because we as a club have set them higher through the actions of Fosuns ,vthe investment and the quality of the squad all backed by significantly better coaching. So while it may seem like I am being harsh it's because I am judging us as a wannabe top 10 side or better.

Diogo Naylor has four yellows now, he is most likely to get banned first.

Diogo Naylor has four yellows now, he is most likely to get banned first.

True

I think Cav will be in for him soon. Silly petulant yellow yesterday and his body language is a concern for me. Shoulders drop a lot when things don't go right and not much has for him this season so far. He is a better player and a better goalscorer than he has shown so far this season.

I was saying to Quirk on Sat that if we want to be in the top 10 consistently we need to upgrade all the front 3. Plus the Doc/Bennett combo down that side.

I was saying to Quirk on Sat that if we want to be in the top 10 consistently we need to upgrade all the front 3. Plus the Doc/Bennett combo down that side.

Can’t disagree with this. Pereyra and Deulofeu were streets ahead of Jota and Costa.

We will finish in the top ten this season with that front three. And this squad in general. If we want to threaten the top six of course we will have to improve but we’ve lost our first game for six and suddenly five of our starting eleven aren’t good enough - talk about over-reaction.

We will finish in the top ten this season with that front three. And this squad in general. If we want to threaten the top six of course we will have to improve but we’ve lost our first game for six and suddenly five of our starting eleven aren’t good enough - talk about over-reaction.

Jota and Costa have so far failed to match the standards they set last year. They will get some stick or criticism until they do. Raul has missed 7 big chances according to premier League stats in 9 games. He needs to up his finishing. Be more clinical.

Bennet is fine for me but he was poor Saturday ,so just cause he has over performed so for doesn't mean he can't get some criticism. Doherty has his limitations but has done fine and was generally ok yesterday.

I don't see that as over reaction.

Does that 7 include the ones where the keeper has made a great save from Raul? (Hart and McCarthy....and does it include the rebound from the Hart save)

From my memory the only ones where he should have scored was v Burnley where he hit it over ( still say that he was fouled though as he hit it) and West Ham where he tackled himself.

Sometimes it's hard to believe we've all watched the same match.

Sometimes it's hard to believe we've all watched the same match.
The beauty of the game. Be a dull place if we all agreed with every point.

The beauty of the game. Be a dull place if we all agreed with every point.

Aye, but man do we ever land in some wildly varying places.

Sometimes! But probably not if you're me and think Jota was bad again.

Does that 7 include the ones where the keeper has made a great save from Raul? (Hart and McCarthy....and does it include the rebound from the Hart save)

From my memory the only ones where he should have scored was v Burnley where he hit it over ( still say that he was fouled though as he hit it) and West Ham where he tackled himself.

Good save by Hennessey too (but I think he should have scored).

Think the Everton one is far worse than the Palace one, at least Hennessey had to work to keep it out whereas Pickford just needed to stand up and it would hit him.

Sometimes! But probably not if you're me and think Jota was bad again.

He was. I struggle to understand how people think he was better than Costa. Costa almost made something happen, can’t honestly remember Jota doing anything useful, albeit I’m in the north bank so can’t see down the end we are attacking in second half as well.

If you make the keeper work it's all good for me. It's the chances like West Ham that would worry me if happening a lot

To be honest I would need to know the definition of big miss that they use on the site. The fact he has 7 and the rest of the entire team don't have that between them says enough for me. He is great at link up but needs to improve his finishing. Simples

Back