• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Forest: Verdict Thread

was It really as bad as people are making out ?
The first half was 'okay', with some decent passing, good possession and a couple of half chances without really looking especially dangerous. The 2nd half I thought we were pretty terrible and other than the penalty never looked remotely like scoring. Towards the end the complete lack of composure we always show in front of goal bled over onto every part of the pitch and if we had been playing a remotely competent team I doubt we would have won.

Thing is, and not making excuses for some of the dross in the 2nd half, kilmans chance isn’t a half chance, he should be scoring that. That could change the game as forest were that bad.

Also RAN decent chance puts it wide. Surely there will come a time when we actually take some of the few chances we create.

Yes, we played the worst team in the division by a mile and had our first shot on target (a penalty) in the 56th minute.

What we currently have is Lage's football but without players being ridiculously out of position, unsettling arm waving on the touchline, taking 10 minutes for a sub to go from being on the touchline to actually coming on, or absolute gabbling horseshit after the game. So it's very slightly better but not by much.
Dan, it was by no means as bad as your making out, a distinct lack of decisión making in the and around the box also a lack of composure especially in the first half where we played some lovely football, got into great positions only for our players to snatch, Neves cross into the keeper rather than take a touch. The only time we actually took a touch steadied and played a good ball in Killman was 2 inches from a goal, hitting the inside of the post.

The players are bereft of confidence especially in and around the box looking on TV yesterday they are simple trying toó hard, when the opportunities are created we tighten up and snatch, Adamas Shot, Ait Nouri's header and shot just wide we created lots of decent chances just lacked the confidence and instead of picking their spot they just tried to smash it.
The prime example was Costas miss, he was offside yet the reality was Adama should have taken the ball another 3 - 4 yards and pinged the ball accross.

I dont know the answer if I did I would be a millionaire not a Bar Owner, all the training in the world can help, but getting into positions and having the composure to get it right when it means so much, cannot be replicated in training.
They need to relax around the goal much easier said than done when we are in our Position.

Second half when we were 1 up the sheer panic and lack of confidence nearly cost us a game we should have been 3 or 4 up sin.

Thing is, and not making excuses for some of the dross in the 2nd half, kilmans chance isn’t a half chance, he should be scoring that. That could change the game as forest were that bad.

Also RAN decent chance puts it wide. Surely there will come a time when we actually take some of the few chances we create.
Kilman, Ait-Nouri and Traore had our best chances yesterday (penalty aside) - until we have a forward player who looks like they can score a goal we are having to rely on players for whom goal scoring isn’t their forte

We haven't for 3 seasons and actually were still wasteful in the good years. I don't see it changing just because...

Moutinho seems undroppable, while he is we won't see the best of Nunes. Him and Neves as a 2 with a 10 in front of them seem made for each at least on paper. We've yet to see it.
I was having this conversation yesterday where the consensus was he should be used in a double pivot with Neves as often as possible.

I think he might be good in a 4-3-3 in the Jordan Henderson role with B Traore doing the same on the other side of the 3.

That's AVB tactics though.

Really need flying wingers to make that work.

The frustration of Costa and Nunes to Traore's 'movement' was tangible (1/10 for Wilf and WH) and replacing him with Semedo was just stupid.

On the other side I thought Pod and RAN had struck up a real understanding and worked some lovely opportunities in the first half.

Back to Moutinho, when he went off it was good to see him coaching from the sideline and RAN was receptive to his changes.

We do overrate our chances a bit though. Neither of RANs chances are good chances. Work the keeper absolutely but I wouldn’t be expecting Marcos Alonso to score those either.

Traore is Traore. He’s only at this level for his physical attributes and that is why he works chances. He then messes things up because he’s technically miles off it. Guedes may have much better technique but doesn’t work the chances so doesn’t miss them. You can’t have it both ways with Adama. You’ve just got to hope that something comes off 1/10.

The Kilman one is a good chance. Tough technique but as soon as he gets there first and gets the direction on it you hope it goes in. Men in the box though. If there only one or two in there it doesn’t happen.

We do overrate our chances a bit though. Neither of RANs chances are good chances. Work the keeper absolutely but I wouldn’t be expecting Marcos Alonso to score those either.

Traore is Traore. He’s only at this level for his physical attributes and that is why he works chances. He then messes things up because he’s technically miles off it. Guedes may have much better technique but doesn’t work the chances so doesn’t miss them. You can’t have it both ways with Adama. You’ve just got to hope that something comes off 1/10.

The Kilman one is a good chance. Tough technique but as soon as he gets there first and gets the direction on it you hope it goes in. Men in the box though. If there only one or two in there it doesn’t happen.
If say the one RAN chance is a decent chance. Either way, he should be doing better than he does with it.

As TT has said, we do and have always appeared wasteful.

People keep saying about this illusive striker…. Irrelevant when none of our main chances fall to the striker. Our style of play basically needs abit of an overhaul

If say the one RAN chance is a decent chance. Either way, he should be doing better than he does with it.

As TT has said, we do and have always appeared wasteful.

People keep saying about this illusive striker…. Irrelevant when none of our main chances fall to the striker. Our style of play basically needs abit of an overhaul
I’m assuming you mean the shot rather than the header? He should be hitting the target with that shot for sure but it’s got to be special (or a howler) to beat the keeper from there. Stats don’t tell the full story but it had a xG of 0.07 for example.

I’m assuming you mean the shot rather than the header? He should be hitting the target with that shot for sure but it’s got to be special (or a howler) to beat the keeper from there. Stats don’t tell the full story but it had a xG of 0.07 for example.
Yeah, the shot. If he scores the header then fair do’s but I don’t begrudge him that.

Never really pay attention to xG as I’d say there’s more than a 7% chance of scoring.

I guess my point is, we never seem to talk these half chances. He should be making the keeper work IMO.

Kilman should score.

However, that’s 2 chances, with 1 being very good, against that forest team. Hardly compelling stuff

When I asked were we really that bad it’s because although I’m not an expert pundit
I enjoyed the first half as we looked a lot livelier than we have for a long time.

1st half Nunes was good second half anonymous for the most part.
Jonny wtf is going on with him he gave the ball away so often.
I thought Ait Nori was very good.
I usually berate Podence but I’d give him a 7 yesterday for his back heels.
Adama although I’m not a fan I think he played a bit better, its always hit and miss (or miss and miss again)
he won’t improve that’s proven but keep the chalk on his boots and he is at least a threat.
Costa looks about as good as we could expect makes good runs knows what he’s doing, as his
fitness improves I hope to see end product.
Toti!! well apart from a couple of Coadyesque diagonals scares the shit out of me.

but the lowest score 3/10 was the crowd, decent chanting but the panic in the crowd towards the end must have impact on the players making them even more shakire.

the truth is though we were horrendous towards the end couldn’t get out as a lot have pointed out against the worst team in the division.

Like I say I ain’t an expert but I enjoyed most of it but not scoring from open play again is worrying.

Yeah the singing/atmos but the oooh ahh panicking at the end is what I allude to
I blame the players for that. We panicked pretty much the second we scored, look at the farce that lead to the corner we conceded the penalty from. That spread to the stands.

We didn't play well in the first half imo - we had a go. I think that was such a contrast from the rest of the season that people confuse it with playing well

I blame the players for that. We panicked pretty much the second we scored, look at the farce that lead to the corner we conceded the penalty from. That spread to the stands.

We didn't play well in the first half imo - we had a go. I think that was such a contrast from the rest of the season that people confuse it with playing well
Aye, Saunders vs Blackburn syndrome.

"Oh, we got forward more than we did under Solbakken, miles better"

Well, we hoofed it into the channels all game and lumped it into the box when we could. That's sort of getting forward. It's not playing well though.

I thought the crowd was the best it'd been all season yesterday. 🤷‍♂️
Shame we've not revised the "Ruben Neves" chant yet. We need words nondescript of a manager.

Any Nuno chants yesterday?

Back