• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Leeds: Verdict Thread

So we are two points off where we were at this time last season. Football is weird.

Much improved.

Semedo's best game for us I think, and the midfield two were absolutely fantastic. Notably higher up the pitch, Neves rarely (if ever) ran to Coady to take to ball off his toes today, and even got in the box in open play once or twice!

It was a good, even game, though Leeds probably edged it on chances created for me, particularly with some top quality set pieces.

From a game management perspective, I've no problem with us taking an age over throw ins etc after 70odd, and we didn't sit as deep as we have done when protecting a lead this season. That corner can fuck off that early though!

Jose can sometimes hold the ball up and lay it off to feet, but when Adama and Neto are driving in field he really needs to make a run to give them space and/or an option. I'm not a fan at all tbh, and I'd rather us see more of Fabio, even if it's half each rather than 80:10.

We played well, but we've got to be real and acknowledge we were probably lucky to come away with three points - but at least you could actually see what we're trying to do. A bit more movement up top and some better decision making by the front 3 and we can go into next season confident of getting back up the right end of the table
I hate time wasting from either side.

Helder costa should have equalised and then had a chance to run at Coady in the box but basically cleared it. Absolute coward. Don’t know what happened to him. Was unplayable that first year.

How would Traore/Neto look playing inverted in a 4-2-3-1 though with an AM just behind the striker too? I'd like to see personally.
maybe Pod behind the striker..would be interesting to see with the inverted wingers playing tighter

Shit man, I wouldn’t know how to find it 😂

definitely said, possibly by Robert (apologies if you didn’t say it Rob) but don’t know how I’d dig it out
Ok in which case I retract it Mel Evo. I thought your post was directed towards me as it happened you mentioned this twice after my posts. My mistake.

Well, that win has made it a perfect birthday for me. And we seem to be getting more VAR descicions go our way this season. I still dont like VAR though. But hey! lets savour this win. Super Rui.

Ok in which case I retract it Mel Evo. I thought your post was directed towards me as it happened you mentioned this twice after my posts. My mistake.
No it wasn't you, and I like your posts (its good to have alternative viewpoints). Look, I'm absolutely delighted we won tonight and I'm also pleased Rui had a decent game given some of the stick he's been getting (justified, but only to a degree). UTW.

Rui was great tonight but they're saves I'd expect him to make. It was as much poor finishing as it was great goalkeeping.

He was good all round though. Did everything very confidently and commanded his box.

Rui had some easy saves, but it's really unfair to say he didn't make any good ones. There were several shots that he saved with feet or from close rage. Had the type of game you expect from a top class keeper-- makes all the saves you expect, and a few you may not.

I might be an outlier but I thought Donck was not that good. Did some good things but equally had more than 1 instance where he sent us backwards instead of passing progressively, lost his man at least once for their set piece chances, and almost allowed Costa (of all people) in to score.

He's also got to - GOT TO - take a yellow and pull his man back to stop the counter Bamford nearly scored from. It's really, really basic stuff and it was a few cm away from costing us.

That said

Generally pretty good. Should've created a bit more/clearer chances (square it Pedro, goodness me) but the general play and buildup were a lot better and we looked more fluid - result of time honing on the training ground, I have to assume. Moutinho and Neves got through a huge amount of work, and Jonny looks very close to being back to his old self. If we can get him properly match fit it'll be a huge boon.

And yeah Rui didn't necessarily make the greatest saves but he did what he needed to well, and that corner claim at the end more or less sealed the game.

Still think top half is as much as we can hope for but considering the run we were on the recovery starting to take shape is pleasing.

Helder costa should have equalised and then had a chance to run at Coady in the box but basically cleared it. Absolute coward. Don’t know what happened to him. Was unplayable that first year.
He is a coward, and has no character, that’s why he’s never got back to his first seasons form.

bloody glad he missed too!

Amazing how much more positive things are compared to 8 days ago after the cup defeat.
Suddenly 7th place doesn’t look a million miles away. Played some sharp stuff first half and were dogged second.
Donck looks far more comfortable in a back three.
Semedo keeps improving. Johnny really does bring a calming effect to the side.
Rui top draw again and won the game for us.

Rui had some easy saves, but it's really unfair to say he didn't make any good ones. There were several shots that he saved with feet or from close rage. Had the type of game you expect from a top class keeper-- makes all the saves you expect, and a few you may not.
They may well have been saves a keeper of international class should make but he made them and he claimed crossed and was quick off his line and gave good distribution. This version of Rui is what I want please. It gives the whole team a lift.
And we scored first!

and this run coincided with Jonnys return. Is there anything in that? I think so

Back