• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Aston Villa: Verdict Thread

If you are a fan of these things his xg is 1.2, Cunha's 2. At least according to FotMob. Although that doesn't feel right as he's not scoring worldies
His first two were pretty low probability chances once went through a load of bodies and the other was off his shoulder I think?

From there he’s scored from pretty decent locations (Liverpool one was a slightly odd one too now I think of though)

He’s very unlikely to get 15-20 let’s just say that ha

Agree with everything @sycophantia says and GON has managed to play him in a way that accentuates his strengths and limits his weaknesses.

Our lack of options though is a real problem though. I don’t want either Sarabia or Fabio playing instead of him or even coming on the pitch at all and we know he’s going to get injured soon/ can’t complete the 90/would like rotation

Agree with everything @sycophantia says and GON has managed to play him in a way that accentuates his strengths and limits his weaknesses.

Our lack of options though is a real problem though. I don’t want either Sarabia or Fabio playing instead of him or even coming on the pitch at all and we know he’s going to get injured soon/ can’t complete the 90/would like rotation

Yeah, Hwang picks up injuries fairly easily (or has in the past) and there are zero viable options to replace him at the moment. That’s the biggest concern.

The only potential fix would be shunting Cunha out there and playing Sasa once he’s fit, but I’m not sure that would work.

For all O’Neil’s faults (of which there are many, many) he does have a knack of making bang average players look alright so far. He did the same with Billing and Solanke.

Noticed that Hwang grabbed and threw into the stands the bloody rag from his nose when he scored. Which was both disgusting and hilarious

When the front players are gassed, I'd be sending Sarabia on rather than Fabio, not enough goals/assists from him but he does press well from the front and his dead ball delivery is excellent.

When the front players are gassed, I'd be sending Sarabia on rather than Fabio, not enough goals/assists from him but he does press well from the front and his dead ball delivery is excellent.
Agreed.

To be fair to GON Silva came on before the red card and I can see why he brought him on, but in hindsight Sarabia would have been the better sub, and once Lemina went Doyle would have been even better.

Would have been negative to bring on Doyle pre red card though!

Agreed.

To be fair to GON Silva came on before the red card and I can see why he brought him on, but in hindsight Sarabia would have been the better sub, and once Lemina went Doyle would have been even better.

Would have been negative to bring on Doyle pre red card though!
Yep hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Fabio was wank, but apart from one errant pass he was grand v City. Did his job perfectly

Fabio was wank, but apart from one errant pass he was grand v City. Did his job perfectly
His body language was a disgrace yesterday.

A petulant child whose first action was to point at Doc to not throw the ball in his direction. He then hid for his remaining time. Complete wanker.

The total opposite of Hwang (I'm with Del, and that feels really grubby to say)

They’re fortunate positions to score from, but the fact he’s in them is quite reassuring I think?
For all his technical faults (and he does have them, as much as I think they get exaggerated at times), IMO he has always shown a good understanding of where an attacking move will end up going and where he needs to be in order to take advantage.

Which is to say, his knack for being "in the right place at the right time" is at least as much a practiced skill as it is luck, at least in my opinion (which is obviously shaded).

Back