• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Middlesbrough 0 - Verdict thread

sounded like a competent performance, looking forward to watching the delayed broadcast. Most neutrals would have picked that as a 'Boro win, and we contained them comfortably for the most part with their chances sounding like they came from individual mistakes. Neves sounded superb, Bonatini put his chance away, Ruddy made a match winning save and we won an opening fixture. It's a good day to be a Wolves fan

I know there is more to come..dont like that tactocal thing to bring on a defensive player and try to sit off the time..hopefully survive..many managers like that though

It's all psychological, Fred...

If you happened to get an early goal against a strong team try to implement a counter attacking style. You probably shocked the opposing team a little bit and now they are under pressure to get an equalizer. They are going to start attacking you from all angles and they will be vulnerable to the counter attack. If you can defend well and force the opposing team to hit shots from distance they will begin to get frustrated. They will get frustrated with themselves and also with their teammates. I’ve seen it a hundred times. Soon they will start fighting with themselves and when you see this happen, you have already won.

That's anecdotal, but it belies the strategy of maintaining your defensive shape. Just as possessing the ball can physically wear down the opposition, so too can stout defending mentally wear down the opposition.

Are you trying to teach me football?

Football is a neverending progress like all sports

Are you trying to teach me football?

If the shoe fits.

I'm trying to help you understand that defending a lead is not inherently flawed tactics.

If the shoe fits.

I'm trying to help you understand that defending a lead is not inherently flawed tactics.
You can do that in better ways than just sitting back..subbing a 10th def on or whatever

How did Joselu do?

giphy.gif

You can do that in better ways than just sitting back..subbing a 10th def on or whatever

Not every manager can ask Samuel Eto'o to play as a wingback (and have it work, to boot).

Anyway...

What on earth are you on about Fred?

Anyway - my MOTM was Saiss I think. I've been hoping he can step up his oerformances and I thought he was great next toNeves. His passing is really underrated!

I don't think anyone had a bad game though

Not every manager can ask Samuel Eto'o to play as a wingback (and have it work, to boot).

Anyway...
Like for like..graham for bright not samuel eto'o ffs

What on earth are you on about Fred?

Anyway - my MOTM was Saiss I think. I've been hoping he can step up his oerformances and I thought he was great next toNeves. His passing is really underrated!

I don't think anyone had a bad game though

Saw someone online (not here) talking about Saiss being just a version of Edwards who runs around less! I about lost my shit.

Yeah, if only Bonatini had come off for Dicko, or Graham came on for Jota...

Ok, no point going on anymore..i will leave this discussion now..saiss, our saviour

I really hope Saiss can continue the form he showed today, if he can then we've got a hell of a central pairing. He needs to be more consistent.

Really impressed by the way Nuno wants to play, clear plan and the players (mostly) stuck to it.

Neves and Saiss did really well together, I’d rather we had Price on the bench than Edwards - think that would have helped us more at the end.

MotM Boly for me, closely followed by Bright.

I really hope Saiss can continue the form he showed today, if he can then we've got a hell of a central pairing. He needs to be more consistent.

He's finally got a partner at Wolves that he can rely on to do their job like he could with Cheikh N'Doye at Angers two years ago. That freedom will do him a world of good.

EDIT: N'Doye and Neves are very different players, to be clear, but both very good.

Some very quick points before losing signal heading into Birmingham New street:
Dicko was dreadful and imo caused us to loose momentum and hand Boro control.
Saiss was very good
Boly was very good, Miranda was shaky
Overall we played well but not the finished article, some lovely touches and we will get better.

Wont be the last time you will see Nuno pulling a Trapattoni's...

On his defense he rarely loses a lead. His main issue was always getting one.

Back