• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Luton: Verdict Thread

Some of the same old issues, but we actually controlled central midfield which was as pleasant as it was shocking.

Last win of the season for us and we just about got over the line against an utterly abject Luton. No way they are staying up now.
Traore probably our best player as he had some energy but looks cumbersome at times. Something there to work with though. About the only highlight as we wasted several good chances to make the game comfortable. This is Wolves though and we never do things the easy way.

Other highlights of the day... Birmingham have to win next week to stand a chance of staying up and Albion could blow their play off hopes yet!

Traore MOTM - I don’t want us to loan him out next season. He deserves to stay here.

Should have been 3 up if Nelson just squares it to Hwang for a tap in, but after their inevitable goal, there was no real onslaught, which was surprising.

Just watching the highlights, that’s a super header from Toti for our 2nd.

Agree with everyone saying Traore had a good game. Those saying he's not ready and needs loaning out next season are completely wrong IMO. He can play at this level when given the opportunity. We played better in the 2nd half, but it was not great. Deserved the 3 points though.

Traore MOTM.

Should have put the game to bed earlier. The usual 2-0 up and they score to give them impetus. Sarabia was a poor substitution. Hwang managed the full 90+. Still don`t rate him as a footballer but his nuisance value is a bonus up top. Would have subbed him for Chirewa for the last 10 minutes. Hopefully, the Ait-Nouri sub was just a precaution. Nice to see us playing some decent football albeit against a poor side.

I like Traore, get Sako vibes everytime he shoots, can't wait until one gooes in. Comfortable win against a terrible Luton side, we had chances to be out of sight before they scored but kept fluffing our lines, their goal made the final few minutes slightly more uncomfortable than necessary. That cross/shot/pass across from right to left in the build up to their goal was one of the flukiest things I've seen! 3 points, no VAR controversy, Coote still a cunt

Merited in the end against a poor team who didn't go for it nearly as much as I thought they would. You need to win lads and we've been rubbish for weeks. Not my problem though.

Bouba definitely the pick of the lot on the day and the break for our first goal was decent. We need the season to end and get some more bodies in, but it was important we got something on the board - can't be going months without a win.

If that was the Rob Edwards audition then unfortunately he did a Joey Tribbiani of it.

We never looked truly comfortable until we went 2-0 up. But after that we controlled the game pretty well other than a 5 min spell after their goal.

On their goal, was the guy who received it back at the corner flag from Woodrow's spannered volley not offside? Couldn't tell from my position in the Steve Bull.

Traore was excellent, snapping and busting a gut to win the ball back. Those three in midfield looked very good together tbf.

I thought Hwang had a reasonable game. He was always out muscled by Mengi but had him beaten for pace every time. It's nice to have a forward who can play off the shoulder in the team again.

RAN and Cunha didn't look properly fit to me. They were very subdued and only came into the game once Luton started pushing higher up in the second half and they found more space. Cunha was properly blowing out of his arse when he came off and hardly wanted to run any more.

The right hand side was very effective today with Doc, Semedo, Gomes and Hwang all linking up well to various degrees. Nelson and Joao in particular were very good drifting around.

Yes we also wasted two or three good chances in that second half and we should have scored more but we controlled the game and saw out the win which we badly needed.

Last edited:
Merited in the end against a poor team who didn't go for it nearly as much as I thought they would. You need to win lads and we've been rubbish for weeks. Not my problem though.

Bouba definitely the pick of the lot on the day and the break for our first goal was decent. We need the season to end and get some more bodies in, but it was important we got something on the board - can't be going months without a win.

If that was the Rob Edwards audition then unfortunately he did a Joey Tribbiani of it.
More like Spud from Trainspotting

We never looked truly comfortable until we went 2-0 up. But after that we controlled the game pretty well other than a 5 min spell after their goal.

On their goal, was the guy who received it back at the corner flag from Woodrow's spannered volley not offside? Couldn't tell from my position in the Steve Bull.

Traore was excellent, snapping and busting a gut to win the ball back. Those three in midfield looked very good together tbf.

I thought Hwang had a reasonable game. He was always out muscled by Mengi but had him beaten for pace every time. It's nice to have a forward who can play off the shoulder in the team again.

RAN and Cunha didn't look properly fit to me. They were very subdued and only came into the game once Luton started pushing higher up in the second half and they found more space. Cunha was properly blowing out of his arse when he came off and hardly wanted to run any more.

The right hand side was very effective today with Doc, Semedo, Gomes and Hwang all linking up well to various degrees. Nelson and Semedo in particular were very good drifting around.

Yes we also wasted two or three good chances in that second half and we should have scored more but we controlled the game and saw out the win which we badly needed.
Nelson and Semedo :)

I really like Traore, thought he changed the match in Wednesday and was easily our best player today. Looks ungainly but it’s very effective, nice pass on him too.

The difference between our left hand side and right was very stark. If we had an actual striker the game would have been much more comfortable too.

End of season affair against a hard working, lacking in quality Championship side. Traore played well and was MOTM, I think people are losing sight of the fact it was in a formation the manager would rather not play though. I'd still not trust him in a 2, prefer his energy in a 3 to Doyle's passing though. Hwang with a very Hwang performance, terrible control, slow to react, but always offered the option and scored a goal. Doherty mainly fine until we'd conceded and started letting men run off him with little effort, Gomes looks leggy. Everyone else fine.

Awful goal to concede, not seen it back, but to switch off from the initial slice is awful. Number of decent positions with nobody in the box to convert, oh for a number 9.

Victory made even sweeter by the fact that a Mr Yaxley-Lennon was in the away end by all accounts.

Back