• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Man City: Verdict Thread

His finish was very calm yesterday too, I know it was an "easy" finish, but even so, he looked assured.
As @Lycan has said earlier today, his drag back first half to leave Akanji on his arse was superb. Just ended up being good defending to close him out. He's pretty good in front of goal, look at his goal in the World Cup. We had a huge issue with him in Lage's ridiculous system where we'd have three forwards out there but they'd all be 40 yards away from each other at any given time. In that situation he is no use at all.

Hot take: by the end of the season, Hwang and Cunha will be starting as a pair up front.
^This from early March and pissing my pants are my crowning achievements on the forum.

(Yes I know this isn't exactly how it's gone, let me have my moment of clairvoyance)

Late to the Cunha discussion here, but I must be watching a different player to a lot of others. I think the blokes brilliant. He's vital to how we play. Strong, athletic, quick, powerful and all those other words. He's so important in getting us up the pitch and he pulls defenders all over the place, opening up space for others. Because of all the other stuff that he brings to the team, his actual goalscoring record can potentially be overlooked (unlike Fabio), although I think it's obvious we'll expect more goals from him eventually. For me, he's one of the first names on the teamsheet. Plus he seems like a top bloke in the dressing room and the others seem to love him.

That front three of Cunha, Hwang & Neto is quite dynamic and has the ability to scare a lot of opposing teams - especially on the break. At the start of the season I think most of us wanted a proper number 9 (Sasa?) ahead of them, but given how we played against City and how solid we looked adding an additional defender in to the side, I think I'd be happy with that shape moving forward (with the ability to add Bellegarde in there for the additional defender against teams sitting in against us) with the hope that we can regularly get points on the board.

Don't think many are questioning Cunhas ability, he just needs to up his goals/assists, the miss against Liverpool was a real low point. The amount he cost will always be used as a stick to beat him with till we get a few more goal involvements. I think it will happen and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Don't think many are questioning Cunhas ability, he just needs to up his goals/assists, the miss against Liverpool was a real low point. The amount he cost will always be used as a stick to beat him with till we get a few more goal involvements. I think it will happen and hopefully sooner rather than later.
I think it's a fair "stick to beat him with" if he wasn't offering anything else - I used the Fabio example above and I think that's more accurate. We all want Cunha to score more goals (and clearly he should have scored v Liverpool and when a player misses a gilt-edged chance like that it will correctly get spoken about), but I also think back to some of the other rubbish we've had to put up with watching over the years and I find it baffling that people are singling out Matheus for criticism. He brings so much to this team.

I think it's a fair "stick to beat him with" if he wasn't offering anything else - I used the Fabio example above and I think that's more accurate. We all want Cunha to score more goals (and clearly he should have scored v Liverpool and when a player misses a gilt-edged chance like that it will correctly get spoken about), but I also think back to some of the other rubbish we've had to put up with watching over the years and I find it baffling that people are singling out Matheus for criticism. He brings so much to this team.
Must admit I haven't noticed that much criticism of him, nothing compared to Sa, Kilmam, Semedo, Sarabia, Doc, Fabio and in fact Hwang up till recently.

I'd give more criticism to Foden and his half arsed 'sod that' attitude to chasing Neto back for our opener

I'm not sure we'll see many goals from Cunha . He doesn't play close to the goal at all when given the choice . He constantly drops deep to look for ball to carry and take lads on .
I'm not convinced that he would have scored had Diaz not scored the OG .

With Neto and Hwang able to score he'll be happy to offload it to either of them .
His pass to Hwang for the winner has as much to do with him not having the confidence to turn and strike as it did with his composure to think that way and look for Hwang - who was confidently roaring for the pass anyway .
Let Cunha drop deep and collect - he has pace and loves carrying it , and as such puts panic into the opposition .

I'm not sure we'll see many goals from Cunha . He doesn't play close to the goal at all when given the choice . He constantly drops deep to look for ball to carry and take lads on .
I'm not convinced that he would have scored had Diaz not scored the OG .

With Neto and Hwang able to score he'll be happy to offload it to either of them .
His pass to Hwang for the winner has as much to do with him not having the confidence to turn and strike as it did with his composure to think that way and look for Hwang - who was confidently roaring for the pass anyway .
Let Cunha drop deep and collect - he has pace and loves carrying it , and as such puts panic into the opposition .
I think that's extremely harsh. Cunha clearly noted that Hwang was in a better position to score and passed it accordingly. Don't think there was any sort of confidence issue going on there at all. It was just a good piece of football.

I think that's extremely harsh. Cunha clearly noted that Hwang was in a better position to score and passed it accordingly. Don't think there was any sort of confidence issue going on there at all. It was just a good piece of football.
Yeah you've got to give credit where it's due - just good link up play between Cunha and Hwang.

Bloody hell, there’s no winning with some people if Cunha’s assist is being looked at as a negative indicator!
Don't stop there, you can also bag him for missing a clear chance that never happened as the ball went in the net first. 'kin waster!

Don't stop there, you can also bag him for missing a clear chance that never happened as the ball went in the net first. 'kin waster!
I'm just happy VAR didn't call for a foul as he slid in and took out a City player as the ball hit the net

Maybe a bit harsh alright , but I just can't see him scoring too many based on all evidence to date . He's not a natural finisher at all .

Maybe a bit harsh alright , but I just can't see him scoring too many based on all evidence to date . He's not a natural finisher at all .
Doubt he'll ever be the fabled 20 goals a season man but I'd like to think he could be capable of getting near double figures.

20 goals is a Armand Duplantis-sized bar in the Premier League.

Anything 10+ for a mid-table or lower club is good, 15+ is excellent. Raul got 13 and 17 for us in his two pre-injury seasons in the league.

Hwang has already matched our top scorers from 2020/21 in all competitions (Neto and Neves with 5 each) and he's only one off matching 2021/22 (Raul and Podence, 6 each) and 2022/23 (Neves and Podence, 6 each).

20 goals is a Armand Duplantis-sized bar in the Premier League.

Anything 10+ for a mid-table or lower club is good, 15+ is excellent. Raul got 13 and 17 for us in his two pre-injury seasons in the league.

Hwang has already matched our top scorers from 2020/21 in all competitions (Neto and Neves with 5 each) and he's only one off matching 2021/22 (Raul and Podence, 6 each) and 2022/23 (Neves and Podence, 6 each).
Yeah sorry the '20 goals a season' was intended to be tongue in cheek. If he can add 8-10 goals and some assists to his all round play we'll have a superstar on our hands

Back