• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Man City: Verdict Thread

Good job Semedo picked up from there too, would've been a long old afternoon if he'd maintained that level of marking.
If you watch the full clip back, he's marking Doku for the majority of the sequence. It's not clear to me when Doku should have stopped being Nelson's responsibility and Nunes should have become it.

20 goals is a Armand Duplantis-sized bar in the Premier League.

Anything 10+ for a mid-table or lower club is good, 15+ is excellent. Raul got 13 and 17 for us in his two pre-injury seasons in the league.

Hwang has already matched our top scorers from 2020/21 in all competitions (Neto and Neves with 5 each) and he's only one off matching 2021/22 (Raul and Podence, 6 each) and 2022/23 (Neves and Podence, 6 each).

Raul pretty much contributed to the majority of our goals before he got injured. We saw the issue that brings when he did get injured.

If we could get 6-10 from each of our front 3 it would be an excellent return & would protect from a huge drop off if one of them is banned/injured for a few games.

If you watch the full clip back, he's marking Doku for the majority of the sequence. It's not clear to me when Doku should have stopped being Nelson's responsibility and Nunes should have become it.

Doku is miles away ages before that pass comes in, Semedo is stood next to Nunes who's literally pointing where to play it and he's still in Dreamland until the ball is played. It's not like he's chasing Doku out and has to change direction in a split second to cover the pass in behind.

Doku is miles away ages before that pass comes in, Semedo is stood next to Nunes who's literally pointing where to play it and he's still in Dreamland until the ball is played. It's not like he's chasing Doku out and has to change direction in a split second to cover the pass in behind.
"Ages" is an exaggeration in my opinion. It looks pretty clear to me that he's not daydreaming, he's trying to analyze Doku and Nunes' positions to figure out who he needs to mark.

Ultimately the decision is made for him, and that puts him a step away from where he needs to be. Not excusing it as such but he's hardly sipping on a martini when the pass is played.

"Ages" is an exaggeration in my opinion. It looks pretty clear to me that he's not daydreaming, he's trying to analyze Doku and Nunes' positions to figure out who he needs to mark.

Ultimately the decision is made for him, and that puts him a step away from where he needs to be. Not excusing it as such but he's hardly sipping on a martini when the pass is played.
Nunes is already the closest man to him before the ball goes to Dias, at which point Doku is ambling away from goal and Nunes is pointing in behind. There is no decision to be made, it's school boy stuff and the delay from Semedo is amateur, which is why City get such an easy opportunity that Dawson manages to dig out

Yeah sorry the '20 goals a season' was intended to be tongue in cheek. If he can add 8-10 goals and some assists to his all round play we'll have a superstar on our hands
When played as a '9' he's more Bobby Firmino than Erland Haaland. Deeper he's more Joelinton than Maddison. I don't think he'll ever be prolific, but then neither was/is Firmino or Joelinton but their contribution is highly recognised by many, especially by their teammates

I think he's a great player and will only get better. We have overpaid [again] but in reality if he was a 10-15 goal player [along with his other attributes] he wouldn't have signed for us in January.

Nunes is already the closest man to him before the ball goes to Dias, at which point Doku is ambling away from goal and Nunes is pointing in behind. There is no decision to be made, it's school boy stuff and the delay from Semedo is amateur, which is why City get such an easy opportunity that Dawson manages to dig out
I dunno man, this seems awfully nitpicky (not to mention OTT... "amateur", really?) to me.

Clearly we ain't convincing each other so fair enough I guess.

I dunno man, this seems awfully nitpicky (not to mention OTT... "amateur", really?) to me.

Clearly we ain't convincing each other so fair enough I guess.
Yes, amateur, I'd be pissed off if my mate did that playing 5 a side on Thursday night never mind an experienced defender who's played at the highest level.

Sure, man. I just don't see it that way.

He's got him:

Semedo3.png

He's lost him:

Semedo4.png

It's pretty rubbish defending for sure but if you want real amateur hour stuff I could show you a hell of a lot of Kilman "highlights" from the last 18 months :D

Aye, I'm less trying to say Nelson didn't make a mistake, just that it was more down to slow recognition of the move (I genuinely think he's caught in two minds since as Doku drifts back wide nobody really goes out to him, which is fair as basically everyone in frame is already marking someone else) more than completely switching off. It's the sort of overload City do for fun, and I think the pace and skill they bring to the table makes things look a lot simpler than they are.

Unless, hey, maybe I've been mis-defining what "switching off" means for the last decade. That's a very distinct possibility.

He's got him:

View attachment 8475

He's lost him:

View attachment 8476

It's pretty rubbish defending for sure but if you want real amateur hour stuff I could show you a hell of a lot of Kilman "highlights" from the last 18 months :D
He doesn’t really have him though as he’s in cloud cuckoo land and his body shape is all wrong.
Aye, I'm less trying to say Nelson didn't make a mistake, just that it was more down to slow recognition of the move.
Slow recognition is switching off, no?
(I genuinely think he's caught in two minds since as Doku drifts back wide nobody really goes out to him, which is fair as basically everyone in frame is already marking someone else) more than completely switching off.

Unless, hey, maybe I've been mis-defining what "switching off" means for the last decade. That's a very distinct possibility.
Doku is an irrelevance here. Going out to him really would be sub amateur stuff. He had a good game otherwise from what I managed to see, but this was a pretty poor bit of play which could have made the afternoon different. Fortunately we got away with it and then didn’t really give them a sniff after

Slow recognition is switching off, no?
That's not how I would define it, no.

IMO Nelson is processing the play, he just takes too long. "Switching off" would be that he's clearly lost track of both, and that didn't look to be the case to me. He simply had a moment of indecision and City are excellent at taking advantage of such split-second lapses.

It's still a mistake on his part, that's not arguable.

Last edited:
When played as a '9' he's more Bobby Firmino than Erland Haaland. Deeper he's more Joelinton than Maddison. I don't think he'll ever be prolific, but then neither was/is Firmino or Joelinton but their contribution is highly recognised by many, especially by their teammates
Controversial opinion of mine, firmino got carried by mane and Salah.

Well yes. We should have four more points from a United draw and a Luton win. Instead we have PGMOL apologies.
I know it'll never happen, but for the sake of the sentiment, PGMOL are making such a serious mess of working VAR and generally making shit decisions, that a lot of international credibility is being seriously eroded. They should be getting some group of people in, someone who know nothing about football rules and they should write the guidelines on how to operate VAR. Then if and when a stupid decision is made by a ref on the pitch that has a significant bearing on the game, so much so that a public apology is required, then 1 point is awarded to that team at the final whistle.
Why these cunts aren't held to be more transparent shows that, 'OO no!, we can't let the public know what we're saying or discussing behind the scenes, Oh no!!!.... got to keep this shit secret!'
I mean if a team gets relegated at the end of the season, and looking back, they have been CHEATED or SWINDLED out of 4 points, yet..... have 5 public apologies from Howard Webb, whose gonna make up the massive drop in income for that/those teams?
It's not a Wednesday afternoon league for retired and Try Harders. There are millions of pounds at stake and these fuckers are skewing it.

Then if and when a stupid decision is made by a ref on the pitch that has a significant bearing on the game, so much so that a public apology is required, then 1 point is awarded to that team at the final whistle.
That wouldn't work though would it.

What if the Onana/Sasa incident happens as it played out, but it's after 10 minutes at 0-0 rather than 90, and we later go 3-0 down? We get a point? Or do you only get an apology if it's a one goal margin at full time? How can you say what would have panned out if we'd gone 1-0 up?

There's no system you could implement that would solve that issue.

Quite right you are!
But rather than suggesting a system that must be put in place, it's more of something has to be done to punish ineptitude and carelessness and the whole fucking thing of , "I've made a balls of this but I can't lose face, so press on..."
They clearly cant run the fucking thing themselves, so someone from outside should be brought in.
Tell me Dan or anyone, how do they do VAR in Germany, or France or Spain etc?
Anyone know?

Back