• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Everton: Verdict Thread

A slight reality check for us - a few seemed at times to playing in Championship mode

The right side of Bennett & Doc will not give enough at this level. Vinagre gave us impetus when he came on (albeit against 10 men). Can see him taking over on the left & Jonny moving to the right.

MGW made some really intelligent runs when he came on - not always spotted.

Doubt that Nuno is ecstatic with that - so expect a hard week for the squad. Not a bad start, but we will need to speed up our game.

OMG has anyone else heard the bit where McManaman says "I don't like Wolves" he thought mic was off biased twat.

Yeah. He was a wanker the whole game. As for the game, I thought Raul and Bennett were our best players. Neves scored a great goal and put in a brilliant cross for the Raul goal but I actually thought his passing radar was off quite a lot today and he was nowhere near as good as he can be. Jota was infuriating because he showed so much potential but with little end product. Costa and Boly were as poor as I've seen them in a Wolves shirt and were easily our 2 poorest players today. Moutinho was tidy but unspectacular. Bonatini was ok when he came on I thought, as were Vinny and MGW. Overall, we earned the point but the performance was nowhere near as good as it needs to be in this division, but I'm confident we will improve.

Yeah. He was a wanker the whole game. As for the game, I thought Raul and Bennett were our best players. Neves scored a great goal and put in a brilliant cross for the Raul goal but I actually thought his passing radar was off quite a lot today and he was nowhere near as good as he can be. Jota was infuriating because he showed so much potential but with little end product. Costa and Boly were as poor as I've seen them in a Wolves shirt and were easily our 2 poorest players today. Moutinho was tidy but unspectacular. Bonatini was ok when he came on I thought, as were Vinny and MGW. Overall, we earned the point but the performance was nowhere near as good as it needs to be in this division, but I'm confident we will improve.
A fair assessment.

I’m guessing McManaman is an Everton fan too? Is he usually like that with their opposition when he commentates?

I’m guessing McManaman is an Everton fan too? Is he usually like that with their opposition when he commentates?

I always thought he was a liverpool fan... still a bias prick though

I'm in the positivity camp.

Was happy with the performance, yeah there were mistakes but what do we expect of mainly young players making the step up? The main thing for me was that we didn't look out of our depth at all. Everton are a good PL side, we showed great character in coming back from a goal down twice.

I really really liked Jimenez. He ran, chased, got into good positions and had efforts plus his goal from open play, a good header. He was also geeing the crowd up a lot, seems a character with bags of enthusiasm.

Ruben and Moutinho showed real class. Ruben's free kick was very good and a great weapon for us to have.

Jonny looked decent on the left but for me Doc (on this showing) not good enough for this level.

Boly showed the same levels of complacency at times that he showed last season but in the Championship it looks like he is taking the piss but at this level he/we will get punished.

Cav and Traore will certainly be useful additions to what we saw today.

Vinaigre was keen and skillful when he came on. One particularly nice piece of footwork on the edge of the box beat his man before running into a cul-de-sac.

Rui Patricio also did well at times especially when being dropped in it by his defence.

Coady had a good game in front of the watching Gareth Southgate.

A good game with plenty of incident and one I feel we should feel happy with this evening.

Welcome to the Prem!

Last edited:
Vulnerable down the right but not a surprise considering the last few years. Decent point in the end against a well organised Everton side with only one new player in their team. Had Raul stuck that one in at 1-1 we may have won it, but a point probably a fair enough result.

Neves is a footballing God...

First time I’ve seen the red card and I’m in no doubt it was red after seeing it. The comment he went for the ball or it’s not malicious is just rubbish it’s out of control and he rolls Jota’s ankle.
If he’d broke his ankle I’m certain everyone would have said it was red.

Pretty happy with that overall tbh, we played ok but lots of room for improvement, passing was poor in general and Boly/Costa had terrible games but there were lots of positive signs. 2 good goals and a point against a good team - I was impressed with Everton’s work rate in particular. We probably would have lost without the red but on another day Jiminez scores at 1-1 and we win it. Bennett and Jiminez were the standouts for me.

Silva is deluded saying it wasn't even a foul never mind a red.

I saw him say the same about decisions a few times last season though.

Yep think he should be more annoyed at Jagielka control that led to the incident.

A slightly shaky start, we looked a bit rusty to be fair. Almost every through ball overhit, a few too many needless ball losses, some nervous defending. Not too worried though, there is clearly a plan in place and enough skill in this team, we will be fine.

Jimenez looks impressive. Neves will have a cracking season. Boly and Coady looked a bit nervous, Costa was poor. Disagree with the Doc bashing here, he played better than Jonny today, a couple of slightly overhit crosses but he was hardly the only one, and a constant outlet down the right. Not the most gifted of players but did not look any more put of place than he did last season.

Everton are a solid team, though most of us are oribably slightly disappointed (and/or drunk) right now, a point is a decent start to the season.

I think the problem with Doc (who was by no means terrible today) is that so much of our play went through him (until the introduction of Vinagre) in the second half. He's simply not good enough in the final third (let alone his defensive short comings) to be relied upon to create enough opportunities with the amount of possession he gets. His touch was a little poor at times and we all know this coupled with his poor crossing can be problematic with the way we play (Jonny didn't do anything better from an attacking perspective) especially when he sees so much of the ball. I think this is the one big oversight from our summer business as he really should have been the first player in any position to be replaced.

Would’ve taken a point to begin with as think everton will be in the top half . A bit disappointed at how we approached the game . Felt we were very defensive especially when they went down to 10 men. Jota and costa were non existent which suprised me. Hopefully that’s bolts bad game out of his system.

Seemed a lack of plan B. Aware it’s early days and all. But thought we’d see more tonight

Somewhat comforting that we're the only promoted side to get any points (or even score any goals) today, and against probably the strongest team any of the three played.

Some early nerves coupled with Boly and Costa not having very good games didn't help. But for me thats a grand start and such an exciting game.
I think a lot of the criticism is OTT. Special mentions for Bennett and Jiminez who was just brilliant, off the mark too can only be good. They are a good team and even with 10 players if you think we are going to play em off the park your wrong.
all in all 6.5/10

Just passed the 15th minute watching the game back and have to say I wouldn't guess we only draw this as we've dominated the early stages. Bit rusty but overall very, very good.

Richarlison has just had his first goal now and for my money it's totally against the run of play. Unfortunate header by Boly.

Back