• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Everton: Verdict Thread

Learning experience for us and the players. We got away with this one and on another day Everton would have beaten us - they wasted three massive chances.

First ten/fifteen minutes we were good. Passing was a bit off (and was throughout the game) but we looked dangerous and the better side. Boly made an error but Coleman shot straight at Patricio.

Things changed with their goal. Someone made a poor pass across the pitch and Doc made the foul which they score from. No idea what happened or who was at fault from where I was sitting.

Everton on top from there for the most part, we kept giving the ball away and making the wrong decision. Jiminez looked dangerous and had one chance which unfortunately got away from him.

I'll have to see the Jagielka tackle again. On the first viewing I was calling for a foul and yellow but from my angle just saw him go through Jota not whether his studs were up or not. FK was brilliant by Neves.

Thought we would kick on from there with Everton down to 10 but you wouldn't have known that they were missing a man - if anyone looked like it, it was us. We just couldn't get going. One good chance when Jiminez made a good run and Bennett sent him through forcing Pickford into a good save. But at no point did I feel like we made the man advantage count.

You could tell the goal was coming as we started to go really off our game. There was a spell before and after Everton's second goal where we simply could not keep the ball and were constantly giving it away as soon as we won it. There was a mixup at the back where Walcott should have scored and then Tosun wasted a great chance when he shot instead of playing Walcott through - Patricio made a good save.

With the goal it is a good finish but Bennett got much too tight on Tosun, you could see straight away he was going to roll it into the path of Richarlison. Doherty needed to track the run and Coady needs to be closer so he can try and get a block in when the pass happens.

Subs were positive and helped us get back into the game. Costa was very poor and Bonatini added some movement up top and brought others into the game which Helder had failed to do all match. I had seriously hoped we were finally about to ditch Doherty and bring Jonny to the right with Vinagre left but of course it wasn't to be. Still, I thought we had a bit more zip down our left which was our much stronger side by this stage. We could have done with Cav on the bench in this game, shame he was injured as he would have made a real impact I think.

Fantastic cross by Neves who has, as we all expected, proved his quality in the Prem from day one. Nice header by Jiminez also. But despite there being 10 mins to go with them a man down I never felt like we were going to win, we lacked something although I can't identify what. There was also time for that other Everton chance they wasted when Coleman and Niasse broke two-on-one but the former totally fucked up his centre which should have been a simple tap-in.

Pleased with the point but there's still some disappointment, particularly as we played a whole half against 10 men but could never tell. Neves was brilliant. Really impressed by Jiminez, runs a lot and is much quicker than he looks - seems to have more of a striker's instinct than Bonatini but was still able to bring others into the game just as well. He ran at Pickford frequently and put him under lot of pressure. As we all know from England Pickford can get the ball out very far but when closed down like Raul did his passing was very poor and this nullified one way Everton had of getting the ball forwards quickly. Bennett made an error but otherwise was good, he made a superb tackle when Richarlison burst forwards. Moutinho was solid, would give him a 7/10. He isn't adding a new element to our game but is instead a straight improvement on Saiss I feel. Boly had a stinker, Doherty as we know cannot cross and kills our attacks with his rubbish crossing and habit of turning back to give it to Bennett. Costa was poor and never in the game while Jota was slightly better but too selfish.

Lots of positives to see then and lets hope we kick on from here. I think we will improve as we go as our new signings become accustomed to how we play. Dendocker will come in for Bennett should improve us playing out from the back that side. But what we need, badly, is to ditch Doherty. He's shit and Everton knew it, all the play come down our right as they were aware we wouldn't be able to handle Richarlison. I was in the BW close to the NB and from where I was sitting could see Doc had his arms around Richarlison constantly, always trying to pull him down or sneakily shove him in the back as it was the only way he could try and stop him.

I'm happy with our signings in the transfer window but we have a major failing - a RWB. A lot of people, myself included, thought this was our weakest position by a mile last year and needed to be our #1 target to improve on. Yes, we looked and tried with Cancelo and then Zinchenko to move Jonny on the right, and I cannot criticise the recruitment for being turned down by Cancelo as he had a much better offer, but we needed to keep looking and not just wait on Zinchenko as we badly needed an improvement on Doc. I really, really want to see Vinagre at LWB and Jonny RWB next game, should improve us massively.

Everton fans should be fuming this morning. Right up until their 2nd goal they played it smart, their possession play was superb you just wouldn't have thought they were down to 10 but the 5 or so mins leading up to our 2nd goal they suddenly put everyone back and just started to hoof it clear as if it was the 95th minute or Big Sam had been put back in charge. That change in mentality cost them the 3 points.

On the red, it was given for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, not for being reckless

One thing I did like about BT sport was the ref on hand to explain decisions, was great when he shut Mcmanaman up. He also said at the end that either interpretation would be acceptable in this instance and that denying a goal scoring opportunity is the lesser of the evils (Carries a 1 match ban) so Everton might be best to keep their trap shut.

The 2on1 that Everton missed - I thought bennett defended that brilliantly, made it really hard for Coleman to get a straightforward ball to niassw

I'm not disagreeing that Jota and Costa didn't have good games, Costa especially. However, what do you mean by continue to struggle scoring, you do realise we scored twice?
"Struggle breaking teams down" probably would have been a better choice of words.

On the red, it was given for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, not for being reckless
On BT last night they confirmed from the ref he gave it for recklessness/excessive force. So he looking at a 3 match ban target than the 1.

"Struggle breaking teams down" probably would have been a better choice of words.

Top scorers last season and scored two against a top half side in our first Premier League game. Where do you get this idea from?

Learning experience for us and the players. We got away with this one and on another day Everton would have beaten us - they wasted three massive chances.

First ten/fifteen minutes we were good. Passing was a bit off (and was throughout the game) but we looked dangerous and the better side. Boly made an error but Coleman shot straight at Patricio.

Things changed with their goal. Someone made a poor pass across the pitch and Doc made the foul which they score from. No idea what happened or who was at fault from where I was sitting.

Everton on top from there for the most part, we kept giving the ball away and making the wrong decision. Jiminez looked dangerous and had one chance which unfortunately got away from him.

I'll have to see the Jagielka tackle again. On the first viewing I was calling for a foul and yellow but from my angle just saw him go through Jota not whether his studs were up or not. FK was brilliant by Neves.

Thought we would kick on from there with Everton down to 10 but you wouldn't have known that they were missing a man - if anyone looked like it, it was us. We just couldn't get going. One good chance when Jiminez made a good run and Bennett sent him through forcing Pickford into a good save. But at no point did I feel like we made the man advantage count.

You could tell the goal was coming as we started to go really off our game. There was a spell before and after Everton's second goal where we simply could not keep the ball and were constantly giving it away as soon as we won it. There was a mixup at the back where Walcott should have scored and then Tosun wasted a great chance when he shot instead of playing Walcott through - Patricio made a good save.

With the goal it is a good finish but Bennett got much too tight on Tosun, you could see straight away he was going to roll it into the path of Richarlison. Doherty needed to track the run and Coady needs to be closer so he can try and get a block in when the pass happens.

Subs were positive and helped us get back into the game. Costa was very poor and Bonatini added some movement up top and brought others into the game which Helder had failed to do all match. I had seriously hoped we were finally about to ditch Doherty and bring Jonny to the right with Vinagre left but of course it wasn't to be. Still, I thought we had a bit more zip down our left which was our much stronger side by this stage. We could have done with Cav on the bench in this game, shame he was injured as he would have made a real impact I think.

Fantastic cross by Neves who has, as we all expected, proved his quality in the Prem from day one. Nice header by Jiminez also. But despite there being 10 mins to go with them a man down I never felt like we were going to win, we lacked something although I can't identify what. There was also time for that other Everton chance they wasted when Coleman and Niasse broke two-on-one but the former totally fucked up his centre which should have been a simple tap-in.

Pleased with the point but there's still some disappointment, particularly as we played a whole half against 10 men but could never tell. Neves was brilliant. Really impressed by Jiminez, runs a lot and is much quicker than he looks - seems to have more of a striker's instinct than Bonatini but was still able to bring others into the game just as well. He ran at Pickford frequently and put him under lot of pressure. As we all know from England Pickford can get the ball out very far but when closed down like Raul did his passing was very poor and this nullified one way Everton had of getting the ball forwards quickly. Bennett made an error but otherwise was good, he made a superb tackle when Richarlison burst forwards. Moutinho was solid, would give him a 7/10. He isn't adding a new element to our game but is instead a straight improvement on Saiss I feel. Boly had a stinker, Doherty as we know cannot cross and kills our attacks with his rubbish crossing and habit of turning back to give it to Bennett. Costa was poor and never in the game while Jota was slightly better but too selfish.

Lots of positives to see then and lets hope we kick on from here. I think we will improve as we go as our new signings become accustomed to how we play. Dendocker will come in for Bennett should improve us playing out from the back that side. But what we need, badly, is to ditch Doherty. He's shit and Everton knew it, all the play come down our right as they were aware we wouldn't be able to handle Richarlison. I was in the BW close to the NB and from where I was sitting could see Doc had his arms around Richarlison constantly, always trying to pull him down or sneakily shove him in the back as it was the only way he could try and stop him.

I'm happy with our signings in the transfer window but we have a major failing - a RWB. A lot of people, myself included, thought this was our weakest position by a mile last year and needed to be our #1 target to improve on. Yes, we looked and tried with Cancelo and then Zinchenko to move Jonny on the right, and I cannot criticise the recruitment for being turned down by Cancelo as he had a much better offer, but we needed to keep looking and not just wait on Zinchenko as we badly needed an improvement on Doc. I really, really want to see Vinagre at LWB and Jonny RWB next game, should improve us massively.

pretty much spot on though didn't think Boly had a stinker but got caught a couple of times with complacency - he got away with it last season but won't this. weak link in the team is Doherty and should have been addressed during the summer.

Top scorers last season and scored two against a top half side in our first Premier League game. Where do you get this idea from?
We didn't create too many chances from open play tbf.

The goal obviously, Raúlito's 1v1, his volley from Doherty's cross and a low cross from Jota that Pickford stopped. Can't remember any more than that?

Last season is irrelevant. We only created one good chance other than the goals, we were pretty toothless and easy to defend against

Pretty similar to our start last season. We didn't create a fat lot v Boro and they assisted on the winner

Last season is irrelevant. We only created one good chance other than the goals, we were pretty toothless and easy to defend against

So after one game we're struggling to break teams down?

We didn't create too many chances from open play tbf.

The goal obviously, Raúlito's 1v1, his volley from Doherty's cross and a low cross from Jota that Pickford stopped. Can't remember any more than that?

we had a glorious break second half 2 v 1 in their box - man at back unmarked and Doherty pinged way over his head for a throw in.

I'd forgotten how bitter, snide and generally joyless a ton of Everton fans are

We scored 2 goals, and a great chance for a third with Raul's one on one. We aren't going to tearing teams apart in this league, especially a side that is established in the Top 8 of the league.

11 shots yesterday, 4 on target and 2 goals. Nearly every member of the side was playing their first Premier League game. They will improve, and get better. Comments that we are toothless and struggle to create are a little OTT for me.

So after one game we're struggling to break teams down?

If we play like that we will, yeah. We were too slow and unadventurous on the ball. I can't believe that Nuno won't have recognised that so I'm sure he'll instruct the players accordingly.

Yeah we had eleven shots but most of those were pot shots from outside the area, rather than genuine chances tbf.

I'm not being a pant wetter, we saw two top half teams yesterday - but we'll face organisationally sound sides all season, and need to up the pace a bit to break teams down properly, it was all a bit obvious and Costa/jota weren't near good enough yesterday

If we play like that we will, yeah. We were too slow and unadventurous on the ball. I can't believe that Nuno won't have recognised that so I'm sure he'll instruct the players accordingly

So we're not struggling to break teams down but we may if we play like yesterday. How the fuck people can say we're struggling to break teams down after one game is beyond me.

We've just played a game of football, in which we struggled to break a team down. If we play like that again, we'll struggle again. I think we'll make the required improvements.

We've only played one game, so that's pretty much all we can talk about tbf

If we play like that we will, yeah. We were too slow and unadventurous on the ball. I can't believe that Nuno won't have recognised that so I'm sure he'll instruct the players accordingly.

Yeah we had eleven shots but most of those were pot shots from outside the area, rather than genuine chances tbf.

I'm not being a pant wetter, we saw two top half teams yesterday - but we'll face organisationally sound sides all season, and need to up the pace a bit to break teams down properly, it was all a bit obvious and Costa/jota weren't near good enough yesterday

We saw a top half team, and a newly promoted side with ambitions of the top 10. Our side on show yesterday had 63 PL appearances between them, 61 of them for Ryan Bennett. A lot of our team are young and will learn at this level. We've scored twice against Everton ffs and got a good point. They will improve.

Back