• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 Leeds: Verdict Thread

A red was always likely the way Friend was handling the game. My lad put a tenner on it at halftime so it was not a case of being wise after the event either. Friend booked Boly early then let three equally clumsy challengers by Leeds players go. Generally even when a ref is poor you get a few decisions going for you but not tonight. His atrocious performance was summed up when he booked one of the Leeds subs for running onto the pitch. Surely it is all four of them, I suspect he won't have a clue which of the four he booked and he should be made to explain why only one. The decision not to give a foul on Chiquinho in the dying seconds was so bad it was comical, nearly up there with Saiss's second half performance.
The rugby tackle on Chiquinho was right in front me, Friend even laughed and patted the Leeds player on the back after giving it the other way seconds later.

I think the dumbest thing here is this fucking post..
He does have form for being sent off for very little. Almost like he almost ended a player’s career? Or was that an Arsenal player almost ending his?

Oh and that Chiquinho challenge, you're absolutely right. There are no words. Then of course seconds later he gives them a free kick.
It was right in front of us and as blatant a foul as you'll ever see. Leeds got fouls all night for far less. I forgot to mention the throw in the first half that deflected yards off a Leeds player, the Ref and linesman must have been the only two people in the ground who thought it was a Leeds throw.

Disappointing end to what started off as a good performance.

First half was as good as that team have played against a press in a long long time. Players with the ball were composed, people around them provided passing options and they generally made their way around Leeds without resorting to panicky lumps up field we've seen too often lately.

Always going to be hard to play against such an energetic team with a man less but until the first Leeds goal it wasn't too bad. Terrible mistake by RAN there though and fuck knows what Saiss was doing with the rebound instead of just poking it out for a corner. Capitulation after that. Ended up with a weird lopsided formation where Podence seemed to come central to fill for Jimenez but everything else stayed as it was. Not that it directly influenced any of the goals against though, just amateur hour defending on all three.

The 2nd booking for Jimenez could be considered harsh but it's a definite foul in today's game. It is invariably a foul against whoever doesn't quite get to the ball in those type of situations. Being hypercritical of Jimenez it's a challenge he doesn't really need to make in the grand scheme of things, 2 goals to the good, not like the opponent is going to hurt you from there and already on a booking. Keepers a long way from goals and he's just going to smash it up the park, chalk that up as a win and let it go, it wasn't life of death to try and knick it away there.

Hopefully not a flash in the pan from Trincao, looked far more purposeful tonight and finally some end product to go with it. Similar the composure and interplay from the first half, hopefully becomes the norm going forwards instead of the overly negative, slow, directionless stuff that's been all too present this season. Would hope Fabio gets a chance to deputise for a few games now, applied himself well lately and looks to have a bit more presence about him now too, good footballer in there too that would fit well with the football from the first half.

He does have form for being sent off for very little. Almost like he almost ended a player’s career? Or was that an Arsenal player almost ending his?
Yeah lets hook off our striker just before half time because he may get sent off in the second half. Mate is fucking nuts logic.

Bruno made it worse - physio told him straight away to take him off but he sent him back on.
It seemed like Neves made the decision to go back on, the physio signalled for a sub but he didn't seem to be having any of it, so not Bruno for me. Fingers crossed it's not serious

They go in for a challenge and only one of them wins the ball, 99 times out of 100 the player that gets there late is penalized these days. Thats the modern game.
The keeper was the one who went in hard, reckless and out of control, Raul didn't so much as extend a leg, arm, head or anything, it was Raul that was clattered by Meslier after he'd played the ball, not the other way around.

The rugby tackle on Chiquinho was right in front me, Friend even laughed and patted the Leeds player on the back after giving it the other way seconds later.

This was the final straw for me to think that someone had paid the ref. Chiquinho gets mauled and no foul, Leeds player then gets breathed on it’s a FK. Shambolic refereeing performance

Walking away from the game and will post more later, but I have never seen such a fundamental failure to grasp the most basic of tactical decisions from a Wolves manager ever. Pathetic. I wouldn't sack him for it, but it's sackable
OK, now home and stand by every word of this. Not seen the second yellow back, the first was at the NB end and was definitely one. Whether it was or wasn't doesn't really matter when it comes to the way the manager reacted or didn't. Everybody in the ground knew we had to get either Podence or Trincao off and put someone on to hold the ball up. I wouldn't say that's a strength of either Fabio or Hwang, but it's more their game than it is the other 2. There were 10 minutes between their first goal and the sending off, for that entire time they camped in our half with us belting the ball away and it coming straight back again and he did nothing, then another 3 between that and the second...Still nothing. Atrocious management. Blame Raul, blame Friend, but Bruno did fuck all to mitigate either.

RAN made Luke Ayling look like Reese James, awful defending and still fails to commit his full back, Boly ropey all game and Saiss equally sloppy.

Would be remiss to not point out that for 30 mins Trincao was very good and not his fault he wasn't a factor in the second half.

They go in for a challenge and only one of them wins the ball, 99 times out of 100 the player that gets there late is penalized these days. Thats the modern game.
And no, actually quite often a player will be penalised if he wins the ball BUT goes in recklessly too. Precisely what Meslier did.

And please don't patronise with the "that's the modern game" nonsense, the "modern game" has brought in the law that you can still be reckless when winning the ball!

And no, actually quite often a player will be penalised if he wins the ball BUT goes in recklessly too. Precisely what Meslier did.

And please don't patronise with the "that's the modern game" nonsense, the "modern game" has brought in the law that you can still be reckless when winning the ball!
You beat me too it!

Disappointing end to what started off as a good performance.

First half was as good as that team have played against a press in a long long time. Players with the ball were composed, people around them provided passing options and they generally made their way around Leeds without resorting to panicky lumps up field we've seen too often lately.

Always going to be hard to play against such an energetic team with a man less but until the first Leeds goal it wasn't too bad. Terrible mistake by RAN there though and fuck knows what Saiss was doing with the rebound instead of just poking it out for a corner. Capitulation after that. Ended up with a weird lopsided formation where Podence seemed to come central to fill for Jimenez but everything else stayed as it was. Not that it directly influenced any of the goals against though, just amateur hour defending on all three.

The 2nd booking for Jimenez could be considered harsh but it's a definite foul in today's game. It is invariably a foul against whoever doesn't quite get to the ball in those type of situations. Being hypercritical of Jimenez it's a challenge he doesn't really need to make in the grand scheme of things, 2 goals to the good, not like the opponent is going to hurt you from there and already on a booking. Keepers a long way from goals and he's just going to smash it up the park, chalk that up as a win and let it go, it wasn't life of death to try and knick it away there.

Hopefully not a flash in the pan from Trincao, looked far more purposeful tonight and finally some end product to go with it. Similar the composure and interplay from the first half, hopefully becomes the norm going forwards instead of the overly negative, slow, directionless stuff that's been all too present this season. Would hope Fabio gets a chance to deputise for a few games now, applied himself well lately and looks to have a bit more presence about him now too, good footballer in there too that would fit well with the football from the first half.
Play Silva from the start & you win the game.

Maybe - one day - you will agree with something I post. It is not that difficult.
Welcome to my world. Even when I am right, I am wrong 🤣. Still, I have found bourbon numbs the pain and it’s doing it’s job tonight 🥃🥃

Back