• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 Leeds: Verdict Thread

Who gets there first is irrelevant. What matters is if someone is careless, reckless or if there is excessive force. Sliding out at speed like that is careless, reckless and there was excessive force. Winning the ball is no mitigation for endangering another player.

First 5 minutes and he tried to take a touch.
Just hit it!
Whereas Jonny hit it first time and scored. Sadly the events that followed somewhat overshadowed that and Trincao actually looking like he cares. I wonder if the commenets aimed at Hoever which mentioned other young players were partly aimed at Trincao given the difference in his attitude.

It’s been widely acknowledged keepers get more protection but last night and the Brighton game (Sanchez flying out against Liverpool) showed they can also get away with flying out recklessly and take opponents out with challenges that would see any outfield player get a red for excessive force.

From where we were sat in the heavens we were thinking it would be Meslier sent off if anything, when Raul walked off we assumed it was for treatment after being injured in the collision. Having seen the replay above several times I still don't think it was right. As a Wolves fan on the radio said, would Salah or his ilk have been sent off there? Would he fuck?

We fell apart after that though, Leeds were dirty fuckers and offered nothing when it was 11 vs 11, Friend (how inappropriate is that name?) was absolutely diabolical throughout.

A mad game with 4 subs in the first half and 8/9 minutes injury time each half and even one of those 'Stop The Oil' cunts involved, I hope one of these cunts gets the shit kicked out of them if the keep this up.

What a complete pisser of a game that was and worrying that we are potentially facing Villa without Neves and Raul now.

A bad night

Waited to post before seeing the Raul challenge

Two players committed to getting to the ball for me, I’d be pretty disappointed if my striker didn’t go for that and likewise my keeper. With the ball moving towards the keeper the odds were also going to be in his favour and momentarily prior to the point of contact you visibly see Raul start to pull out, there was always going to be a collision, it’s inevitable.

Thats not a justification to decide that it’s a foul, a booking or a red. Both players were not out of control, not endangering the other or reckless, just committed

No booking for me, but it changed the games momentum towards leeeeedzzz who after 50 mins were blowing out their arse and it was only going to be a matter of time before we put the game to bed.

Sadly, we only have ourselves to blame after that, comical defending, shocking capitulation against an awful team of thugs and gypos on speed, but Sky love em.

Heyho fuck it, not interested in football for two weeks……

Forgot about the protester. If our defence had been as alert as the stewards were we’d all be a lot happier this morning. Loved the one steward high fiving as he returned to his position.

If you showed someone who hadn't seen the game this picture and said one of them was sent off, there's a good chance they'd say it was the goalkeeper.

Just look at the body language. Raul trying to back out of it and Meslier with both feet off the floor to make the challenge.
Not to mention his right arm ploughing straight into Jimenez's ribs.

And he's miles out of his box there too and as such travelling at a higher speed than Jimenez.

IMG_20220319_091237.jpg

Just makes the decision even more horrendous. At worst it's a foul, at best it's a booking for Meslier. If a defender makes that challenge its a certain booking.

Obviously the main fault lies with Friend, if he doesn't make that (poor ) decision we don't completely lose the plot.
I think it's happened a few times, when things go against us, we seem to panic. Our experienced guys have to look at themselves there, we should not be capitulating , Coady, Boly, Saiss and Moutinho are seasoned pros,cthey have to control themselves and their younger team mates.
Lage has to manage that game better, I'm still 50/50 on him, at times he's been excellent but sometimes he makes very weird selections and subs

If you showed someone who hadn't seen the game this picture and said one of them was sent off, there's a good chance they'd say it was the goalkeeper.

Just look at the body language. Raul trying to back out of it and Meslier with both feet off the floor to make the challenge.
Not to mention his right arm ploughing straight into Jimenez's ribs.

And he's miles out of his box there too and as such travelling at a higher speed than Jimenez.

View attachment 5173

Just makes the decision even more horrendous. At worst it's a foul, at best it's a booking for Meslier. If a defender makes that challenge its a certain booking.
"with both feet off the floor" - eh?

I almost said "practically off the floor".

His right foot isn't on the ground it's dragging behind him with the studs facing the camera. His boot might be technically touching the floor but it's not connected to it.

I thought i'd leave it till this morning to post till i've calmed down. I haven't to be fair. That defeat is 100% on the officiating. Without that we cruise that game. The challenge was 2 players going for a ball that was winnable by both. No player was going to avoid each other due to the speed both were travelling. Referee had his cards out before he'd even looked at anything tells you all you need to know.
The players (and Bruno's) heads just went for 20 mins after that. It's understandable as decisions like that affect you mentally.
Can't blame Leeds for going all out for the win. They are desperate for the points, and they are probably the fittest team in the league. At 2-2 i could see only one outcome..

You can say tactics this and players that, but that decision, along with others the officials made got into the players and managers heads, and that caused 90% of the issues that lost us the game. Of course they should have ridden the storm, but sometimes a decision can rile you that much you lose focus. Just watching and reading their interviews tells me that. The worst thing is Kevin Friend just walks away with his money with no comeback.

On a positive i'm glad for Trincao. He had a great game. Sa was up there congratulating him on the goal, so the players know the stick he's been getting.
Europe will be really difficult now imo, although a draw between WH and Spurs, or Spurs win might keep them still within range,

But, not making Europe could even mean Neves doesn't sign. One bad decision can make that much difference....

If the players let that get to them then they are mentally weak. As pointed out by others we had a lot of experience still on that pitch If the manager was in a state of shock then he's not fit for purpose. He did absolutely nothing, didn't even move Trincao or Podence centrally. For 10 minutes until the 1st goal, the ball kept coming back, we'd get it away and it's just come back again. Yet nothing was done.

Undoubtedly we win that game without the sending off, equally it's not a yellow card, but to just blame the referee only tells half the story.

I almost said "practically off the floor".

His right foot isn't on the ground it's dragging behind him with the studs facing the camera. His boot might be technically touching the floor but it's not connected to it.
Erm....you actually (not "practically") wrote this: "and Meslier with both feet off the floor to make the challenge" with an image that suggests that is not correct.

Of course there are other factors, but 100% it was started by that shockingly bad refereeing decision.

My take on last night. Its not a great decision by Friend but its not the worst decision I've seen, its not even the worst decision this season!

However, I feel the blame for this loss is 100% on Lage. He had ages to make tactical changes before Raul was officially sent off and decided that a front two of Trincão (who had his best game for us) and Podence would work, unsurprisingly it didn't.

Lage should have taken both off and brought on Cundle and Fabio, told everyone to sit in and frustrate and Fabio to just chase every long ball.

For me, the lack of game management lost us the game.

Can't say I agree with that, because even with 10 men we were still able to cause them problems. The problem was that key defenders lost their fucking minds for no reason. Saiss was terrible and should be dropped for that performance. There is no doubt with 11 men we would have gone on to win that comfortably. The decision by the ref was terrible and stupidly got in the heads of players who should know better. The sending off turned the game completely and when you watch the challenge it is never ever a yellow card for Raul. If anything the foul was by Meslier as he came charging out of his area completely out of control.

"If anything the foul was by Meslier as he came charging out of his area completely out of control." - he connected with the ball, with a trailing foot on the ground. Raul connected only with Meslier. Please explain your reasoning.

"If anything the foul was by Meslier as he came charging out of his area completely out of control." - he connected with the ball, with a trailing foot on the ground. Raul connected only with Meslier. Please explain your reasoning.
Because Raul actually tried to stop and Meslier just followed through on him as he was completely out of control.

"Because Raul actually tried to stop and Meslier just followed through on him as he was completely out of control." Meslier connected with the ball and made a perfect tackle. Same question, why do you think Meslier made a foul? I am more annoyed that Raul, on a yellow, 2-0 up, got himself sent off.

How is Leeds this morning?

Back