• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 West Brom: Verdict Thread

Disappointing but not surprising to see the majority consensus has settled into 'it wasn't that bad', 'Fabio will be amazing in three years time', 'In Nuno We Trust' and 'FFS Adama'

Absolutely, I’ve defended Adama to the hilt on here, but he should have passed or wellied it clear.
He should have done, but he was the last in a long line of players who should have known better than him and failed to clear it.

The morning after the day before.
I dont know what hurts more my head or the defeat.
Yes we have had worse performances and lost since being back.
That is 2 wins in 9, like it or not we are in a relegation scrap, one of the worst teams to play in the prem have just scored 3 against us.

We have complained about Refs and Var all season yes we were fucked over by useless again, but we need to stop giving them decisions.

More worrying for me is the way Nuno looked just before Full time and in his press Conference after, all is not well in the camp looking at Nuno.

I am still pissed of that Boly could find anything to be happy about at the final whistle, to be fist pumping them smiling tells you everything thats wrong at the moment.

This season is down to a two things
Injuries
Nuno
You cannot stop injuries they are part and parcel of football.
Some of them are a result of a 13 month season and no close season.

If Nuno wanted to change the system then do it after a full pre season of working on it not after the shortest close season in history.

We need reinforcements especially up top.
If you dont want to buy then loan but FFS do something.

The only plus point in yesterdays debacle was young Fabio Silva for me he was our MOTM, his goal was an excellent finish as was his battling and hold up play, just a shame he did not connect properly with the cross from Adama.

Not one person in that team left everything out on the pitch.

Disappointing but not surprising to see the majority consensus has settled into 'it wasn't that bad', 'Fabio will be amazing in three years time', 'In Nuno We Trust' and 'FFS Adama'
I don’t think that is what it has turned into one bit

Last season and to an extent the season before, at 2-1 at HT I'd have been more than comfortable that we'd win against poor opposition. Yesterday I knew we'd need another goal at least. Therein lies the difference.

As I mentioned yesterday we aren't even playing that badly which if anything is more frustrating. If you're getting bossed all the time then at least it's easy to pinpoint where you can improve. Here it boils down to "stop making mistakes" which is akin to saying "don't get run over when you cross the road". Well, duh.

For us to make the same mistake on both penalties - however soft they might be, and the first one isn't a penalty anyway, but it got given - is just ridiculous.
I think thats down to two things.. bad confidence and fear for making a mistake yet again. Mentally the players are not in a good place atm, we need to reset and get the spirit of the wolves back again..of course one of our main assets last season was the crowd that actually made us 12 vs 11 players on the pitch many games..another thing, changing formations and defenders for each game is always a bad sign, consistency is key in a good defence.

Last edited:
1) It wasn't (albeit all the goals against were appalling on at least some level)
2) He might be, don't think that's the argument, he did play well anyway for most of the game and scored a really good goal
3) Well, we have to trust in him, a) because of what he's done for us and b) the alternative doesn't bear thinking about
4) He does have to share in the blame for the first goal because that's crap. He was alright in parts though
5) Don't know where you're getting all this from anyway because none of that has been the tone

Wasn't a good pass from Coady to him, but he shouldn't be trying to beat four players there and then he did his "sit on his arse" act after he lost the ball which meant he was nowhere near the runner.
offensive third yes, defensive third no..for me

we should benefit greatly by a big player upfront that can head the ball though

Last season and to an extent the season before, at 2-1 at HT I'd have been more than comfortable that we'd win against poor opposition. Yesterday I knew we'd need another goal at least. Therein lies the difference.m

As I mentioned yesterday we aren't even playing that badly which if anything is more frustrating. If you're getting bossed all the time then at least it's easy to pinpoint where you can improve. Here it boils down to "stop making mistakes" which is akin to saying "don't get run over when you cross the road". Well, duh.

For us to make the same mistake on both penalties - however soft they might be, and the first one isn't a penalty anyway, but it got given - is just ridiculous.

Silly me for thinking we had the game won!

The second point is the biggest annoyance, we aren’t really giving up chances to any team of any level in open play. Rui isn’t having to make saves to win games (one yesterday straight at him from Robinson where he shut it down well).

But this is it
I feel like we’re too deep - we’ve had some shit penalties against us this year, but a primary cause is that we have to defend runners in our box, whereas we get defended at least five yards outside the box, so we get free kicks where the opposition get penalties.

Said similar yesterday. We’ve always been too deep which was fine when we effectively had 9 outfield players in the box. But now we don’t defend in numbers, are still to deep and don’t press. So shit teams get a free ride to the final third. Then meaning that when bad or unlucky things happen (from us or the officials), it can lead to goals. Particularly in a season where there are so many pens.

The morning after the day before.
I dont know what hurts more my head or the defeat.
Yes we have had worse performances and lost since being back.
That is 2 wins in 9, like it or not we are in a relegation scrap, one of the worst teams to play in the prem have just scored 3 against us.

We have complained about Refs and Var all season yes we were fucked over by useless again, but we need to stop giving them decisions.

More worrying for me is the way Nuno looked just before Full time and in his press Conference after, all is not well in the camp looking at Nuno.

I am still pissed of that Boly could find anything to be happy about at the final whistle, to be fist pumping them smiling tells you everything thats wrong at the moment.

This season is down to a two things
Injuries
Nuno
You cannot stop injuries they are part and parcel of football.
Some of them are a result of a 13 month season and no close season.

If Nuno wanted to change the system then do it after a full pre season of working on it not after the shortest close season in history.

We need reinforcements especially up top.
If you dont want to buy then loan but FFS do something.

The only plus point in yesterdays debacle was young Fabio Silva for me he was our MOTM, his goal was an excellent finish as was his battling and hold up play, just a shame he did not connect properly with the cross from Adama.

Not one person in that team left everything out on the pitch.
We are not in a relegation scrap, a cursory look at the table will tell you that we aren't. Are Fulham about to rocket up the table? Seems unlikely to me as they haven't won since November.

And I think knocking the effort yesterday is disrespectful, that wasn't the issue. It was out of order when it got brought up immediately post-match and it's out of order now.

Silly me for thinking we had the game won!

The second point is the biggest annoyance, we aren’t really giving up chances to any team of any level in open play. Rui isn’t having to make saves to win games (one yesterday straight at him from Robinson where he shut it down well).

But this is it

Said similar yesterday. We’ve always been too deep which was fine when we effectively had 9 outfield players in the box. But now we don’t defend in numbers, are still to deep and don’t press. So shit teams get a free ride to the final third. Then meaning that when bad or unlucky things happen (from us or the officials), it can lead to goals. Particularly in a season where there are so many pens.
agree regarding pressing, we really should be pressing higher up the pitch and regaining control of the ball higher up, easier to create chances and you dont allow pressure and those mistakes in our box

I think it was that bad tbh. You can point to other games over a 3 year period which have been worse but West Brom had 8 points and 1 win until yesterday and on top of that were without Gallagher, Johnstone and Diangana. So with all that in mind you would expect us to have decent spells of control in the game but that's not really the barometer - if you can't find a way to beat a team who are that bad and have their better players missing on top of that the alarm bells should be ringing.

I know. I wish some people would be a little more objective and realistic. Yes , we played better than games like Forest , Sunderland, West Ham and Burnley. We managed to score two goals against the divisions worst defence and the second was mostly down to their awful defending. We conceded three very preventable goals. We have given 7 penalties. If you really look at it about 50 percent of goals conceded this season are either penalties or errors by our defenders. I don’t understand how some can post that it wasn’t that bad. It was. Collectively in defence that was Sunday afternoon pub team defending as was Burnley as was the second half at Brighton at times. The lack of real creativity in our midfield is staggering. The output this year is worse than the sum of its parts. It is seriously underperforming at times and yesterday was one of them. There is a seriously strong argument in my book to leave both Neves and Moutinho out. I don’t think we will be relegated but head in the sand happy clapping and dismissive posts saying that we are negative or the usual crew are talking shite is just myopic nonsense. There is a lot that really needs to improve and quickly. And that should include anew signing or two.

I don’t understand what they think Fabio did well yesterday. He was better than he was before and scored a well taken goal.

His hold up play was fairly poor, he lacks physical presence and he’s fairly pedestrian in pace. His link play was good outside the box and I’m impressed by his little touches and passes. But as a striker, no.

For the rest of the game he was better than he was before but at no point did I ever think he was getting on the end of a cross or going to make the keeper work and first and foremost that’s what I want from my centre forward.

He’s still a long way from being near ready.

1) It wasn't (albeit all the goals against were appalling on at least some level)
2) He might be, don't think that's the argument, he did play well anyway for most of the game and scored a really good goal
3) Well, we have to trust in him, a) because of what he's done for us and b) the alternative doesn't bear thinking about
4) He does have to share in the blame for the first goal because that's crap. He was alright in parts though
5) Don't know where you're getting all this from anyway because none of that has been the tone
I'm not going to volley a list back at you, but I've re read the thread since last night and I think I got the tone pretty well. You don't have to agree with me, of course!

We are not in a relegation scrap, a cursory look at the table will tell you that we aren't. Are Fulham about to rocket up the table? Seems unlikely to me as they haven't won since November.

And I think knocking the effort yesterday is disrespectful, that wasn't the issue. It was out of order when it got brought up immediately post-match and it's out of order now.

Another 7 defeats in 9 for us
2 or 3 wins for Albion and Or Fulham
It would not be the first time we lost 11 point lead over them.
We need to win a few games and rather quickly before we get dragged down.
As for knocking the effort it takes effort to attack a long throw, it takes effort to match them.
We did neither

I know. I wish some people would be a little more objective and realistic. Yes , we played better than games like Forest , Sunderland, West Ham and Burnley. We managed to score two goals against the divisions worst defence and the second was mostly down to their awful defending. We conceded three very preventable goals. We have given 7 penalties. If you really look at it about 50 percent of goals conceded this season are either penalties or errors by our defenders. I don’t understand how some can post that it wasn’t that bad. It was. Collectively in defence that was Sunday afternoon pub team defending as was Burnley as was the second half at Brighton at times. The lack of real creativity in our midfield is staggering. The output this year is worse than the sum of its parts. It is seriously underperforming at times and yesterday was one of them. There is a seriously strong argument in my book to leave both Neves and Moutinho out. I don’t think we will be relegated but head in the sand happy clapping and dismissive posts saying that we are negative or the usual crew are talking shite is just myopic nonsense. There is a lot that really needs to improve and quickly. And that should include anew signing or two.

There is no need for this, because people don’t agree with you doesn’t mean they aren’t being objective or realistic.

They just don’t agree with you.

You make the odd good point but starting with that sentence just gets people’s backs up and there’s no need.

Another 7 defeats in 9 for us
2 or 3 wins for Albion and Or Fulham
It would not be the first time we lost 11 point lead over them.
We need to win a few games and rather quickly before we get dragged down.
As for knocking the effort it takes effort to attack a long throw, it takes effort to match them.
We did neither

We won’t lose the next 7 games and if we don’t win in the next 6 games Nuno will be gone as no manager can survive 1 win in 15.

Neves has been excellent recently (though not yesterday), so saying to leave him out is just knee jerk nonsense.

I do agree with the lack of creativity in midfield though, it’s a massive concern. We need someone who can carry the ball centrally and has the technique to pick a pass or shoot on target when in the opposition third.

personally, I’d like to see MGW have a go in that role if we stick with three in midfield, he’s the only one we have who can do it.

so Neves, one of Donk or Moutinho, and MGW, then the three up top. I’m fine if we solidify with both the other central midfielders not attacking much to cover the wing backs too, if we have that breaking midfielder.

Back