• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 West Brom: Verdict Thread

Another 7 defeats in 9 for us
2 or 3 wins for Albion and Or Fulham
It would not be the first time we lost 11 point lead over them.
We need to win a few games and rather quickly before we get dragged down.
I don't think we have a realistic chance of getting drawn into a relegation battle, but mainly because there are too many other poor teams at the bottom.

We do have some relegation characteristics though; a manager with a haunted look who seems confused and unable to affect anything positively, a porous defence and a toothless attack.

Not the kind of evolution anyone associated with the club wanted to see, and I'll feel a lot better after our next three points (which will probably come when we don't expect it)

Another 7 defeats in 9 for us
2 or 3 wins for Albion and Or Fulham

If the above all happened, in 9 games time we would still be in front of both Albion and Fulham, although the gap will be much reduced. So currently no, we are not in a relegation scrap but may be in 9 games time if that all happens

We won’t lose the next 7 games and if we don’t win in the next 6 games Nuno will be gone as no manager can survive 1 win in 15.
really hope that wont happen, Nuno has a lot of qualities..but, he has some areas he has to develop in, as all of us people..attacking and pressing, faster passing game..a bit less possession sideways/backwards and a bit more attacking mindset for me

Lots of calls for a back 3 again but would 3 at the back actually have prevented any of the goals today? The goals being sloppy penalties from relatively well placed centre backs and a flicked on header from a corner that all of our usual back 3 were defending anyway?

Reluctant to go back to scoring a goal every two games. It seems more like our defenders are just horribly out of form.
You can only speculate without certainty, but with them playing only playing one up front then it's unlikely that it's Coady picking him up in a 3

Neto is our diamond atm, let him take all corners and freekicks, no short corners, just get the ball in the box and anything can happen

maybe Neves close to the goal

West Broms next 6 games

West Ham (a)
Man City (h)
Fulham (h)
Sheff U (a)
Tottenham (a)
Man Utd (h)

They aren't picking up anywhere near enough points anytime soon to get near us

really hope that wont happen, Nuno has a lot of qualities..but, he has some areas he has to develop in, as all of us people..attacking and pressing, faster passing game..a bit less possession sideways/backwards and a bit more attacking mindset for me
This is the thing though. When a manager attempts to drastically change something, and ask players to do new things - it's quite often bad before it gets good. Usually though it's with a new manager. Everyone is making mistakes, finding it hard to get out of previous habits and getting caught inbetween. We have to take the pain before it becomes good again - and hopefully that will make us stronger.

we wont be in a relegation scrap, no need to address that

This is the thing though. When a manager attempts to drastically change something, and ask players to do new things - it's quite often bad before it gets good. Usually though it's with a new manager. Everyone is making mistakes, finding it hard to get out of previous habits and getting caught inbetween. We have to take the pain before it becomes good again - and hopefully that will make us stronger.
Yeah, good point YW agree with that

the only thing im worried about, Nuno has just a short space of time making that transition happen..he is under pressure so should he go back to basics or contitue the transition, thats the question..I really wish he succeeds and love him at wolves

Cyber - weren’t you the guy that was slating our performances post lockdown saying we needed to create more chances, have more shots and how predictable we had become. Now we are doing those things you’re complaining we’re crap elsewhere. You’re the guy who complained we were beating top sides and not bottom sides and then complained when it was the other way round. You’re the guy that said it was the worst performance Under Nuno, now you’re not. You change you’re opinion to see the negative at all times.
I’d say the thread has been realistic. We weren’t great first half, crap second, have too many mistakes in the defence need to turn round our form. I think everyone is singing from a similar song sheet.

Again raises the question why this was the season to attempt it, especially when most of the incomings were rookies. We didn't make a single signing that could take this evolution by the scruff of the neck, and our existing senior players still seem periodically perplexed by it, even half a season on.

Aside from that, I agree with the thrust of your argument, I've said previously that it's the final third of the season (at the latest) when I'd want to see definite green shoots of progress. I thought a few games ago we were starting to see the first of them, but we seem to have regressed in the past couple of games.

Cyber - weren’t you the guy that was slating our performances post lockdown saying we needed to create more chances, have more shots and how predictable we had become. Now we are doing those things you’re complaining we’re crap elsewhere. You’re the guy who complained we were beating top sides and not bottom sides and then complained when it was the other way round. You’re the guy that said it was the worst performance Under Nuno, now you’re not. You change you’re opinion to see the negative at all times.
I’d say the thread has been realistic. We weren’t great first half, crap second, have too many mistakes in the defence need to turn round our form. I think everyone is singing from a similar song sheet.
Mate, after Headwobblegate I'd refrain from too much finger-pointing if I were you ;)

I'm going to offer my most objective view here and say we need to stop doing stupid things in defence and to coin a phrase "play the percentages more" & "get the fundamentals right".

We get that right and we start giving ourselves a much better chance in games.

Didn't post yesterday as wanted to think about everything, heading into the game I was surprised by the confidence in the build up thread, and am slightly unnerved by the people saying we won't be in the relegation consideration. Their are issues that need to be addressed before I personally feel better about that. Currently we have just conceded 8 to a make shift Everton and then what look limited quality Brighton and WBA, that is very worrying.

Thoughts on the team in general - we have had fairly bad luck but it wasn't against the realms of possibility that we would have injuries at a higher rate than previously, I see the plan with signing potential, but when that is now so heavily relied on then it's an issue as we are currently seeing. We seem so unsavvy, needless fouls and although teams to get cheap set pieces etc and waste time when they are winning. Our bench doesn't seem to have the answers as it's all young, unproven players. For me we have hit the phase Bournemouth did last year when it was early after the restart and people felt they would be okay, but their defence and keeper in particular looked substandard.

The defence is currently playing at the level of a side you would expect to not win many and to be down the bottom of the table, for me we must go back to the 3 at the back and more focused shape and mindset that we aim for 0-0 at the half, and then take it from there. The defenders seem to have regressed and none of them seem capable enough to play one-on-one versus the forwards of this league, at least at the moment. Time to get the sweeper/cover back in place.

Calls for Rui to be dropped are strange, he is not playing to his previous standards but the defence needs stability, not Ruddy who is a worse keeper but shouts loudly. People saying his position on the goal wasn't good enough, I can't blame him for that as we hadn't been dealing with those long throws at all and Rui wasn't the issue there.

WB - need to go back to being an outlet that stretches teams would be my thinking.

Mid - the 3 in the middle doesn't work when Dendocker is pushed on, he is 80percent there with being effective in that advanced role, but he is missing the most vital part which is the finishing or working the keeper.

Silva - took his goal well but he is still way off what is needed despite a better performance yesterday. This is a real issue as I didn't think Cutrone's recall was the answer either, we need to address this and its worrying for me to hear the talk that apparently we won't. The best option we have hasn't been good enough against poor sides, so that is a real worry for me.

All in all its been a miserable few weeks.

Mate, after Headwobblegate I'd refrain from too much finger-pointing if I were you ;)
I stand by my point at half time, Cyber has already admitted that it wasn’t our worst performance, many agreed we weren’t shit and we were winning. What happened in the second half doesn’t make my comment earlier wrong even if I do admit that it allowed you all to to take this piss afterwards 😉.

Well I refrained from looking at the forum till this morning, glad I did. Some of the posts were shocking, hysterical, way over the top.
Having said that, this performance was hitting the bottom of a frustrating season. No excuses, we were really poor, can't use the defence of injuries this time, even Raul as I thought Silva had a decent game, much more energy, put himself about and took his goal well. The only highlight really.
Really concerned about Nuno, looks like he's really struggling mentally atm.
Not sure where we go from here in the short term, 3 or 4 at the back? not sure it makes much difference defensively. It seems to me that 3 in midfield makes us worse, don't think Neves Moutinho and Donk works.

Back