• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 West Brom: Verdict Thread

I think the younger players is what has affected our game management too. Not their fault, but their heads just drop - and that's when you need the pros to stand up and be counted, not giving away silly penalties.

Worried about Nuno mental health at the moment he looks like he’s carrying the world on his shoulders and struggling massively with the current situation. Reality is I think he’s very home sick with not being able to see his family.

I think that most would agree that Coady was a poor midfielder, a terrible full back but has developed as a good sweeper. In which case why have him in a back 4 ?? No sense at all. Lets get back to what was successful for 3 seasons before its too late. We need to buy a striker as both Fbio and Cutrone aren't the answer. I get the feeling that Nuno has been told 'No money for transfers' which is why he's been handed back Cutrone and MGW which has probably pissed him off. Lets hope he doesn't decide to throw the towel in and leave. We have enough talent to salvage the season before regrouping next year.
I don`t think he`ll throw the towel in while there are no flights home.

I don`t think he`ll throw the towel in while there are no flights home.
The removal of the option of a return home probably makes things even worse in terms of his mental health.

The rules are the same the game is entirely different and the two aren't remotely comparable.

Dave Jones used to pick players and say stuff like 'get out there and do it', 'keep it tight' and other such rubbish.

Today's managers and coaches are a different breed, you only need to look at Klopp and Pep who do not value defence but attack more and more to put the other team under pressure. They are exceptional of course but it shows how different mindsets are prevalent in the game and why Sunday League is fun and not to be taken seriously.
Yes, all relevant, but still basic game skills include not conceding early to your opponents. Because all that does is fire them up to beat you. I keep seeing that happening here.
When you play football as a team at any level that basic premise is mandatory. I can bet you Klopp and Pep don't tell their teams to go out there and concede early. Nuno for sure would tell his team every match the same. It worked for 3 years as we were solid as fuck. Now, the local nursery would grab a goal early in the halves as we are just not solid in any way. If we don't go back to that (solid) mantra we will as sure as apples are apples be dragged into that bottom 3 fight.
You cannot give your opponents soft goals when your strike force consists of an 18yr old. It shows that giving the shit 3 goals fucked us. How many more times do we need to have that happen?

Apologies that this is quite a negative post.
Yes , It's not like your normal Henry IV rousing the troops type posts is it?

My worry is we are playing with a fear, whether its a fear of conceding possession making a mistake or whatever it's stifling creativity and this pedestrian approach allowing oppositions to set themselves is bewildering

The removal of the option of a return home probably makes things even worse in terms of his mental health.
Yea, like he's stuck in a prison. The best thing to happen would be have a break from it all, but it's impossible right now.

Yes, all relevant, but still basic game skills include not conceding early to your opponents. Because all that does is fire them up to beat you. I keep seeing that happening here.
When you play football as a team at any level that basic premise is mandatory. I can bet you Klopp and Pep don't tell their teams to go out there and concede early. Nuno for sure would tell his team every match the same. It worked for 3 years as we were solid as fuck. Now, the local nursery would grab a goal early in the halves as we are just not solid in any way. If we don't go back to that (solid) mantra we will as sure as apples are apples be dragged into that bottom 3 fight.
You cannot give your opponents soft goals when your strike force consists of an 18yr old. It shows that giving the shit 3 goals fucked us. How many more times do we need to have that happen?
I don't think any premier League manager says 'keep it tight'.

They're not Sunday League.

And of course conceding goals is bad, at any time.

I think the big difference between this season and last - and Leander summed it up in a soundbite about winning mentality - is we don't have the faith we will still win when we go behind. That was obvious against Brighton and today. Our game management used to be our best asset and it isn't currently.
Yes. Remember when we watched games till the last whistle because we had faith they would always get back into the game? For me now if we are behind 10 mins from the end i have no faith in them scoring. And if we are in front i always feel sure the first cross that comes in will be a goal for the other side.

Last edited:
The rules are the same the game is entirely different and the two aren't remotely comparable.

Dave Jones used to pick players and say stuff like 'get out there and do it', 'keep it tight' and other such rubbish.

Today's managers and coaches are a different breed, you only need to look at Klopp and Pep who do not value defence but attack more and more to put the other team under pressure. They are exceptional of course but it shows how different mindsets are prevalent in the game and why Sunday League is fun and not to be taken seriously.
Yet ironically we’ve just been beaten by an extremely poor side, managed by Big Fat Sam, who probably said those exact things you’ve quoted above to his players before they walked out on to the pitch today.

I don't think any premier League manager says 'keep it tight'.

They're not Sunday League.

And of course conceding goals is bad, at any time.
What are they saying then? Don't worry lads, just let them score? Genuinely would like to know. Maybe the manager doesn't say it directly, but surely the team, particularly the defence know they need to do it?
You say football is different between the leagues. As far as i'm aware if you score more you win the game, whatever league it is. Them scoring more than us, and all those other teams doing it have fucked us. Conceding goals early for us is fucking us. There is no arguing that fact.

Yet ironically we’ve just been beaten by an extremely poor side, managed by Big Fat Sam, who probably said those exact things you’ve quoted above to his players before they walked out on to the pitch today.
Because they must be a Sunday League team... :rolleyes:

Said I wasn't coming back for 24 hrs after that - have caved in.

Not read the thread as that would no doubt be dispiriting.

There is a need to go back to what we know with 3 (5) at the back and just eke out enough points to get through this season then try and recover in the summer - there are some green shoots , Silva was more effective today and could be effective in where we want to go, but we are not going to challenge at the top so just make sure that we are there next season.

Making the changes we did with a late finish last year and no pre season may not have been the best idea we have had & then losing critical players was a factor, but that has to be dealt with.

In some ways am glad that we can't be there at the moment, though am missing meeting friends.

We have had 3 yrs of massive improvement & there was always a possibility of a backward season - this is it.

It was not a good watch, poor start, then two goals to make fans think that they had turned it around, then two soft second half goals. A number of first team players are underperforming at the moment and confidence is very low. I am hoping for a cup run.

Stick around, more than happy for fans of other clubs to come on here and discuss our current issues!. As others have said, lots of frustration with today's result won't make it look the most welcoming of places at the moment.
I realised that, from experience, I’m an expert on knowing what it’s like to lose a derby!

I don't think even he says such trite rubbish.

It's stuff like your final sentence why you get a bad rep in other posters eyes. I dont think anyone is being positive today, nothing to gain from your last sentence.
Sorry mate, but the last line is needed. Otherwise if I don’t clarify, I get told I’m not a fan or that I enjoy watching us lose.

It works both ways.

Let's not going down the route of almost discounting the penalties. They came because they were attacking and we can't defend, and were both fouls.
Yes we lost yes it fucking hurts, yes I want to smack a few heads.

There was no contact with the 2nd thats a disgraceful.decisio all round

Back