• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

100 mile ride in support of Ikeme

If it's a 9 speed,have a look at 11-34 or 12-36t cassettes,if your rear mech can take it,got the latter on my hybrid and its made a hell of a difference in hilly mid Wales

Good thread bump machin - will pop my donation over this evening. Stuff getting in the way! Bah!

As an aside, I'm not far from Frankley, so let me know when the full route is published. I might try seeing if I can pop along the route.

If it's a 9 speed,have a look at 11-34 or 12-36t cassettes,if your rear mech can take it,got the latter on my hybrid and its made a hell of a difference in hilly mid Wales
11 speed, so I think my options are fairly limited. If I want to keep within the Shimano 105 groupset then 11-32 is as big as I can go. Aside from that I'd have to look outside of standard cassettes for my setup - which scares me a touch!
11-34 would be great as it would give me a 1:1 gear ratio on the easiest gearing.

Good thread bump machin - will pop my donation over this evening. Stuff getting in the way! Bah!
Top man. Much appreciated.

Also just to say cheers to the others guys from here who have donated recently. T-Dog, Penk, Spartacus, Darlo and anyone else I've forgotten!

As an aside, I'm not far from Frankley, so let me know when the full route is published. I might try seeing if I can pop along the route.
I'm getting a bit annoyed that they've not released the full route yet, tbh. I'd like to scope out some of the roads local to me if possible. I think a lot of it is on major A-Roads as they'll be closed to traffic.

11 speed, so I think my options are fairly limited. If I want to keep within the Shimano 105 groupset then 11-32 is as big as I can go. Aside from that I'd have to look outside of standard cassettes for my setup - which scares me a touch!
11-34 would be great as it would give me a 1:1 gear ratio on the easiest gearing.

Aah,11 speeds way too technical for me,I'm old school 9 speed on my hybrid,and 8 speed on my tourer(easier to get bits for in the middle of nowhere) I'd say go for the 11-32 if nothing else it's easier on the knees

Will - very well done on reaching your initial cash target - good luck for the day itself

(an update on my son's 100m ride at the weekend the team as a whole - him & 3 other workmates - have so far raised £1810 + £387.50 in gift aid plus any donations by other work colleagues will be matched £ for £ by the firm. Just over half of that raised by my son, but it is more personal to him & his wife's wider families so a lot from those sources. Not responded to my texts as to how he got on, probably still recovering, but a picture on one of the team mates fundraising page seems to be after & they are all still standing up!)

I'm getting a bit annoyed that they've not released the full route yet, tbh. I'd like to scope out some of the roads local to me if possible. I think a lot of it is on major A-Roads as they'll be closed to traffic.

I know I've had leaflets confirming there will be road closures very close to me. The jist of those leaflets was as you say - major(ish) a-roads. I didn't keep them as there weren't specific details, but I'll keep an eye out.
I'd expect that you'll be coming down the main A38 from frankley, through northfield, towards selly oak and the city centre. I'm a 10 min cycle to northfield, hence trying to pop to the route.

Sorry for the delay in donating, Will. Done now. Hope the training is going well, mate!

Sorry for the delay in donating, Will. Done now. Hope the training is going well, mate!
Cheers mate. Down in Devon at the moment so not much opportunity to get on the bike. I did do an 11 mile ride around Torbay on Saturday morning. Not many flat roads round these parts, that's for sure!

Just spoken to my eldest - completed the full course of the Ride London (inc. Box Hill & Leith Hill) in a fraction over 7 hrs

Just spoken to my eldest - completed the full course of the Ride London (inc. Box Hill & Leith Hill) in a fraction over 7 hrs
Good time that. I'll be delighted with anything near 7 hours.

Apparently there is a special medal he can get if you complete the 3 events of Ride London 100 mile cycle, London Marathon & the Serpentine Swim event - says he is thinking about the Marathon next.

Think that that might be more challenging

You know you're in for a tough climb when you see this sign at the side of the road...

b05c070dbe4be8a656bb6ad4e2975b74.jpg

I did! I had tried, and failed, previously on the Round The Wrekin sportive, so was determined not to bail this time!

Well done.

Drove to Buildwas the other week and thought bloody hell that would be some Hill to climb. I'll have to have a go at some point.

I think I know the one you mean. Kicks up to about 24% right at the end as you get to the roundabout. Looks savage.

Back