• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Andreas Weimann - Welcome to Molineux

I think we all got a bit sucked in by the (in hindsight) ridiculous rumors flying around in the summer. We were linked with Bernardo Silva FFS!

Frank, I would urge you to rewatch Zenga's first press conference. Both he and Shi stressed that this would be a process. One that might not bear immediate results.

All Fosun promised was diligence, persistence, and the funds to make the most of those traits. Thus far, they have delivered on all counts. There have been bumps in the road, but we were warned of this. The hype train was our own creation, not Fosun's.

Spot on, Alan. Fosun didn't promise anything extravagant when they came in, just laid out their long-term ambitions for the club which seemed eminently reasonable given their resources. The issue lies with people who expected them to sprinkle fairy dust over Molineux and turn us into Man City overnight.

Thing is he's not really been amazing yet or shown his full potential so it might not be as easy for him to find a bigger club to go to this summer. If it was Costa who we'd bought I'd expect someone to come in with a big offer to take him away, I'm not sure that would happen with Cav.
If he and/or Mendes want him out, Mendes will get him out. As was explained by our Benfica supporting friends after the takeover, the money just moves around between the clubs in his network, so Besiktas, Zenit or whoever will pay what they are told to pay and we'll get our money back.

If he and/or Mendes want him out, Mendes will get him out. As was explained by our Benfica supporting friends after the takeover, the money just moves around between the clubs in his network, so Besiktas, Zenit or whoever will pay what they are told to pay and we'll get our money back.

Yeah this is a fair point, still less chance if he's not setting the world alight here though, I kinda want him to be mediocre this season so he stays and then really kick off next year

Anyone who expected it to be a smooth transition was kidding themselves, really. We were an absolute mess at the start of this season. Look at the team that finished the game in our final friendly this pre-season against Swansea.

Ikeme

Odoffin
Doherty
Hause
O'Hanlon

Coady
Edwards
Saville

Henry
Collins
Byrne

That is what was left following Morgan and Jackett's reign.. We would have been bottom three material had Fosun not taken over. For that reason, I can accept a season of working it out and making some mistakes. We aren't in danger of going down and we have already rectified the error of bringing in Zenga plus in the process of getting our house in order following the influx of players signing in the summer.

Thats bottom 3 of League 1, never mind champ

Fosun don't sign players, Kevin Thelwell does. If you want a pop at somebody I suggest you turn your ire in that direction.

I do wonder what our owners have done to you as you clearly do not like them, why is this?

being a force for promotion doesnt happen overnight, it will come im sure of it, our new owners are learning quickly how to do business in the championship throwing money at it isnt the answer imo, its about getting the balance of the team right which fosun learnt very quickly in the summer when bring in 12 players who dont have english football experience and most of whom wont be at our club very long.

You asked questions and I answered them. Just because you disagree does not make you right.

The owners made mistakes last summer, and in my opinion they have made a mistake in appointing Lambert. But of course only time will tell.

I was in two minds whether to reply, because I wouldn't want you to think I'm "having a go". But the last bit of your comment above just stinks of a 'I can't wait to tell you I told you so' attitude.

Talking to you about the new owners and essentially everything else is like talking to a brick wall, so I won't try. But as DW eloquently put a page or two back, I just don't understand your stance and you've done little to explain it since.

KJ wasn't the right man to take us forward. Zenga could have been, maybe, but he had an impossible task mixing 15 of the original squad with 10 new overseas signings. Now, Lambert has restored some order and focus. And good football. I'm absolutely delighted with Lambert so far.

I was in two minds whether to reply, because I wouldn't want you to think I'm "having a go". But the last bit of your comment above just stinks of a 'I can't wait to tell you I told you so' attitude.

Talking to you about the new owners and essentially everything else is like talking to a brick wall, so I won't try. But as DW eloquently put a page or two back, I just don't understand your stance and you've done little to explain it since.

You are entitled to your opinion, but so am I. And I would be delighted to be proved wrong about Lambert. He wouldn't have been my first choice, but he is, so I wish him every success here

I don't think Lambert was number 1 of many fans lists tbh Frankster.

being a force for promotion doesnt happen overnight, it will come im sure of it, our new owners are learning quickly how to do business in the championship throwing money at it isnt the answer imo, its about getting the balance of the team right which fosun learnt very quickly in the summer when bring in 12 players who dont have english football experience and most of whom wont be at our club very long.

Yet our 2 best players don't have a minutes Championship experience before this season.

It. Is. A. Myth.

Yet our 2 best players don't have a minutes Championship experience before this season.

It. Is. A. Myth.

Exactly. I am fed up with hearing how we should only sign players with "Championship experience", we had a squad full of them last season and watching them was like stabbing yourself in the eyes at every match.
A good footballer is a good footballer whether they play in the Premier League, the Championship or the Portuguese/French League.
Our better players this season have been Costa, Cavaliero, Bodvarsson and, when I've seen him, Saiss, none of whom have the fabled "Championship experience"

If anything how well Costa, Cav and co have performed with no Championship experience should really magnify how poor Doherty, Batth, Lonergan, Saville and Wallace et al have been either at times or continue to be. What experience did Sako have of English football?

This isnt a hard league in which to aclimatise. It genuinely staggers me how receptive people are to to this regressive thinking. There is no difference at all in scouting poor foreign players and poor british players. I give you Paul Gladon and Andy Lonergan.

We have for the most part been appalling at recruiting foreign talent for 25 years but thats a damning judgement on the process and diligence of the club.

That's a challenge, a best foreign (ie non-UK/Ire) Wolves lineup.

Hahnemann

Stuart
Pollet
De Wolf
Elokobi

Costa
Gomez
Milijas
Sako

Camara
Ganea

Even that's cheating a bit as Hahnemann and Muscat were already playing in England when we bought them.

Edit: And now Big George too. But it's slim pickings if we rule them out...

Edit x 2: We found a way to get rid of Muscat :D

Last edited:
Who was that spanish fella we had in the late 90's? Bald mid 30's. To me it seemed he was a couple of steps ahead of the rest of the team so not much he tried came off.

Where is Gued, Dan?? Still in the prem... ;)

Who was that spanish fella we had in the late 90's? Bald mid 30's. To me it seemed he was a couple of steps ahead of the rest of the team so not much he tried came off.

Fernando Gomez. Quality footballer but sadly by then had the athletic ability of Robert Taylor crossed with Lawrie Madden.

Back