• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Slaters we’re always a little more real ale than craft ale anyway I’d say. Their micro pub in Stafford was really good, I’m just not really that fond of their beer. Haka was ok.

Round here I think they were just outspent (on pubs, marketing and beer) by Titanic.
I always found their bar in Stafford disappointing. The staff seemed to think it was an inconvenience to serve you as they’d have to interrupt their chat with their mates and the beer was often below the standard you’d expect. On one occasion we went there after drinking Top Totty in The Market Vaults where it was excellent yet in their own bar it was slightly musty.

I also found it disappointing that the bottled beer direct from the brewery cost more than you could buy it elsewhere. Surely if you’ve cut the middle man out you can sell it for less.

Despite the above I’m saddened to see them close.

I always found their bar in Stafford disappointing. The staff seemed to think it was an inconvenience to serve you as they’d have to interrupt their chat with their mates and the beer was often below the standard you’d expect. On one occasion we went there after drinking Top Totty in The Market Vaults where it was excellent yet in their own bar it was slightly musty.

I also found it disappointing that the bottled beer direct from the brewery cost more than you could buy it elsewhere. Surely if you’ve cut the middle man out you can sell it for less.

Despite the above I’m saddened to see them close.
Similar I guess, though I always found the bar quite welcoming. Not been for ages though - that end of the town is awful.

I’ll take a trip up to the brewery for old times sake and pretend I didn’t just get a delivery of 48 beers from Tiny Rebel.

Similar I guess, though I always found the bar quite welcoming. Not been for ages though - that end of the town is awful.

I’ll take a trip up to the brewery for old times sake and pretend I didn’t just get a delivery of 48 beers from Tiny Rebel.
The only thing missing north of Craberry Street is Tumbleweed!

Shock! Horror!!
Had a chat with the store manager of Tesco this afternoon and he told me that Scotland and Wales have already implemented the Unit price of Alcohol law but the UK and Northern Ireland haven't... yet! But they will and it's coming!!
Now I can buy a bottle of standard Scotch whisky for €23. A litre will come in at around €32, so if I bomb up to Tesco in Banbridge (NI) i can buy a litre of Grouse for £19. Which is about €21.50 The saving alone covers the cost of petrol getting up there, about an hours drive.
Now this guy said they'll be catching up pretty soon and so it'll all be the same. More or less. He said there will be a bit of wiggle room, they can mess about with alcohol content and bottle sizes but this unit price of alcohol will come in soon.
So fuck it!
Do you guys see it making much of a difference where you are?
Do we have anyone living north of the border on here?

Pretty sure that Scotland and NI are in the UK.

According to Mr Tesco, the UK and N Ire are the only bits that haven't adopted Unit pricing. Yet. But they will.
Was it a bit of a shock or nothing much to worry about?
I know it was introduced to stop Off licences and stores selling Cider for a pound a litre and kids getting pissed, so ordinary drinkers will just pay more now. Bastards! It'll be like Norway...

You mean England and Northern Ireland. Not the UK. The UK is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Also it won't happen any time soon as it requires an Act of Parliament and there's no way they'll prioritise it. Whatever the manager of Tesco says.

That's good news Dan!!
I'll find out where you live if it happens next month...

It's not on the current legislative program
The next King's Speech isn't until at least September
The devolved Northern Irish Parliament isn't sitting at the moment, so they can't do it unilaterally

So it won't happen.

Mr Tesco could lie that it has happened though and put his prices up, as his customers believe whatever he says :)

Backyard gone to the wall.
52 Degrees Brewing has now bought the Backyard Brewhouse assets, brand, beers and recipes.

This seems to be where it went wrong

"In January 2022, the business was sold in its entirety to an entrepreneurial company that were new to the brewing industry. They took the business as a going concern with the desire to drive things forward.”

I agree with her, 15 crates of Carlsberg served at a wedding would ruin the whole thing.

"Carlsberg has conceded that the beer came from a dodgy batch but has so far given her nothing more than a £15 voucher...........because the product provided is better quality"

“I was about four cans in and I thought something was up - it didn’t taste right.

4 cans in!! It took 4 cans to realise "hey this isn't Carlsberg its some pissy water" (I know the punch line to this one...)

Back