• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

A recent visit to Edinburgh and I spotted a pub on Leith Street, sideways to the castle called Innis & Gunn Taproom
It had their own excellent beer on tap plus 6 other variants of their own making plus 20 other draught beers on tap!
If you find it anywhere, I strongly recommend Innis & Gunn 'Gunnpowder' Remarkable stuff.
I could have stayed in there for several hours...
My wife for the first time ever tried their own lager thought it lovely and had a pint of the stuff!

I'm not a fan of Innis & Gunn tbh.

Gunnpowder is/was available in Tesco and M&S.

I'm not a fan of Innis & Gunn tbh.

Gunnpowder is/was available in Tesco and M&S.
Oh! What is it that you're not keen on? I like the structure of the flavour, as an ale it's got a good depth to it, sort of makes you move half the pint at first taste then you're immediately at, "Wow that was good! I must have another!" Rather than the more simple red ales you get over here. Mind you it's harder for the smaller breweries to break into Tesco and pubs have no chance when Diageo have the leisure drinks industry by the throat. If it's not under our umbrella, you're not stocking it!

Oh! What is it that you're not keen on? I like the structure of the flavour, as an ale it's got a good depth to it, sort of makes you move half the pint at first taste then you're immediately at, "Wow that was good! I must have another!" Rather than the more simple red ales you get over here. Mind you it's harder for the smaller breweries to break into Tesco and pubs have no chance when Diageo have the leisure drinks industry by the throat. If it's not under our umbrella, you're not stocking it!
I just think that they make pretty average beers. Quite a few 'small' independent breweries have their beers for sale in the supermarkets over here for example;
Thornbridge
Buxton
Northern Monk
Magic Rock
*Brewdog
Salt
North Brewing
Innis & Gunn
Siren

Hmm, when I lived in Alfreton, I used to go into the local CO-OP and was surprised at the number of 'interesting' breweries they stocked, so yes there was loads of choice and it pissed me right off when I moved over here. There are some inroads being made Like Porterhouse and some other breweries but the Government have cracked down on kids drinking cheap cider and Polish lager, so you can't get any offers like 4 for €10 (our equivalent of your 4 for £6), so most bottles that Tesco stock are €3.50 each but their buying is shite and there will be 3 or 4 ales and 33 or 34 versions of some IPA. You'll get off licences like O'Briens but you'll struggle to get very many interesting beers, mostly mainstream stuff.
Thanks for posting that list. Wish I could try a few of those, wish I had a local pub!

2 things.

The timings and pint numbers don't match up to the times I have witnessed when you are drinking Phil

&

Send those Dr's my way...I used to love a packet of stinky Scampi Fres with a pint.

2 things.

The timings and pint numbers don't match up to the times I have witnessed when you are drinking Phil

&

Send those Dr's my way...I used to love a packet of stinky Scampi Fres with a pint.
Substitute Scampi Fries for Hall's Mentholyptus...

I love Scampi Fries with a pint in the pub.

Must be the only pub in the UK that wouldn't benefit from not being able to serve Carlsberg or Heineken...

Bathams' are doing a Sovereign Coronation ale this weekend. 4.2% pale which is very light and unmistakeably Bathams' in taste.

Bathams' are doing a Sovereign Coronation ale this weekend. 4.2% pale which is very light and unmistakeably Bathams' in taste.
It made it to my pub in Rutland. It’s an excellent, and I’m off there now for more. The many joys of the 3pm kick off…

Back