• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bolton build up

I don't see his distribution as a major issue at all, that seems a very odd complaint to me. He is never going to be a Vertonghen style 'footballer first, defender second' player, for what he is within obvious limitations he is fine in that respect and good at actual defending. What he gets paid for. $#@! idiots on Twitter.[/QUOTE]

I like Danny but IMO he has not improved in the last 12-15 months. His 10 yard passes are ok but forward passes of any greater length are generally poor

Our central midfield often plays too deep especially if the opposition have fast strikers, because they want to protect Baath who can be caught out by this type of player. As a result Edwards drops deeper and the result is that Dicko or Afobe on Sat was totally isolated.

This makes us mush easier to play against at home

Batth and Stearman are absolutely a fine centre back pairing for this division, with Iorfa and Hause/Golbourne outside them we have enough pace to protect them in behind. I agree that Price and McDonald seem afraid to stray too far away from them in that deep position, partly because confidence was harmed after the poor run in November. They need to show more belief in their team mates for me. Batth had a dodgy period (like many) but has performed well each time I have seen him play lately and been a leader as has Stearman. Stearman is very vocal at the minute, and is starting to really take responsibility which can only be good for the team.

I like Batth, he's a very committed defender, good in the air and covers for his team mates well. Struggles when run at sometimes and is obviously not the quickest, but I'd definitely say his distribution has improved.

Three times in a row Batth gave the ball away cheaply at the start of the Charlton match and he did the same against Blackpool. Not saying it's a huge problem, but it seems to be getting worse - perhaps because he's getting away with it. Him and Stearman operating at their upper limit in this division. Let's just hope KJ carries on his ruthless streak if he gets us promoted.

Three times in a row Batth gave the ball away cheaply at the start of the Charlton match and he did the same against Blackpool. Not saying it's a huge problem, but it seems to be getting worse - perhaps because he's getting away with it. Him and Stearman operating at their upper limit in this division. Let's just hope KJ carries on his ruthless streak if he gets us promoted.

What about the three 60-yard diagonal balls he played to the left wing in the first half? Or his assist vs Fulham?
I'd say he's improving if anything. Don't know what some people expect at this level. It's also his first proper season at this level.

Bolton might have one eye on their cup replay against Liverpool, so it could be a good time to play them.

What about the three 60-yard diagonal balls he played to the left wing in the first half? Or his assist vs Fulham?
I'd say he's improving if anything. Don't know what some people expect at this level. It's also his first proper season at this level.

He just seems to be giving it away more often recently. It's not a manhunt, FFS! :D

The problem is Batth is having to hoof the ball because our play is so one dimensional. We've got nothing in the middle, and haven't had all season it's just highlighted when a team parks the bus. Therefore he's lumping high balls up to our giant forward players. Yeah the balls are shit but it wouldn't make any difference anyway because Ben Haim and Bikey are winning 90%+ of the aerial duels against our strikers.

KMac has to play 20 yards higher up and Edwards needs to start dropping deep into space to receive the ball. Our problems are tactical, the players are executing KJs plan. He just needs to be more adventurous at home and get Edwards to play as s #10. Or if he's not capable of doing it then play someone who is.

Our system is fine for away games as we can keep it tight. But when we need to break someone down its too negative.

Realistically not many teams are going to come to Molineux in this league and have a 0-0 as the limit of their ambition.

Not many but it's points we need and were not getting. In the last month Brighton, Blackpool and Charlton have tried and we have taken 5 points which easily could have been 2.

We've got Reading and Rotherham next up at home and I can't see them being much different.

poacher Le Fondre signs for Bolton just in time for our game :( ..also they have signed 19-year old Rochina on loan from Benfica

and don't forget the front pair (71 years combined ages) Gudjohnnson & Heskey !!!

The squeamish may wish to look away now regarding our record up there.

2014/15: W 1-0 (H)
2012/13: D 2-2 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2011/12: L 2-3 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2010/11: L 2-3 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2009/10: W 2-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2003/4: L 1-2 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2000/1: L 0-2 (H), L 1-2 (A)
1999/0: W 1-0 (H), L 1-2 (A)
1998/9: D 2-2 (H), D 1-1 (A), W 2-1 (A, FAC)
1996/7: L 1-2 (H), L 0-3 (A)
1994/5: W 3-1 (H), L 1-5 (A), W 2-1 (H, P/O), L 0-2 (A, P/O)
1993/4: W 1-0 (H), W 3-1 (A)

That reminds me., I need to buy a new tv, as motd did a greatest fa cup shocks thing & that cunt mcginlay popped up on screen. Foot promptly went through the screen....:emot-fuckoff:

Since I can remember we always struggle at Bolton, then again we had only beaten them once in 12 attempts before our home game against them this season, I'm confident of a win. Bolton will at least come at us, giving us more space to play in behind, and they may tire towards the end as it will be their third game of the week.

Also fancy our chances if they continue with 3 at the back. When we played Watford that helped us as we were able to attack the space behnd the wing backs and we did it well.

I'd like us to beat them, if only to stop the "WHYAYEWEFOOKINSIGNEDANYFOOKINWUN" talk that is getting a bit OTT.

I agree with your synopsis btw youngwolf.

Not expecting a classic here. Neither of us concede or score regularly. Another 1-0 would be fine by me.

great strike, he played very well in that game.

That reminds me., I need to buy a new tv, as motd did a greatest fa cup shocks thing & that cunt mcginlay popped up on screen. Foot promptly went through the screen....:emot-fuckoff:

I noticed that, gave me a little shiver.

-------------------Ikeme

Iorfa-------Batth--------Stearman------Golbourne

------------Price--------McDonald--------

---Vlp-----------Edwards --------------Jacobs

-------------------Dicko

I know Jacobs won't play but idc. This game might suit us a bit better and might allow Edwards to have more influence. However we're always crap at Bolton so I'm expecting a 2-0 home win.

Back