• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bratislava Home Game Build Up

As a friend, let the Rankine one go mate, it's not good for you, it's gnawing at your very soul :)

A part of me died that day.

Similar to the day we bought Robert Taylor.

I would have Joao as #1 too and by a fair distance.

Our fans frequently confuse "best player" and "most improved player", they aren't the same thing (hence Rankine, Craddock, Doherty and Stearman winning POTY awards inexplicably). They also tend to vastly overvalue performances towards the end of the season when casting votes...

Democracy doesn't work.
Nah, Joâo is brilliant but to suggest he's had the best form so far this season is well off imo. That's not saying he's been poor BTW, far from it, just not quite hit the heights he's capable of (though I though both he and Neves have started to show that form over the past two games).

I do reckon our fans often confuse best player across the season with player that's been decent in the last month before we vote for POTS though...

Joao is always really good - barring Everton, willy has been excellent though. Really no idea how I’d separate them tbh

Well for me it has yo be who is already so much better than last season.

There is only one

Why though, last season has no bearing on it? You judge it on its merits surely, if you genuinely do think Adama has been our best player in his own right then fine, up to you and there is a case for him (I wouldn't have him in my top three).

It isn't the "he was totally shite a few months ago and now he's pretty good most of the time" award :icon_lol:

Why though, last season has no bearing on it? You judge it on its merits surely, if you genuinely do think Adama has been our best player in his own right then fine, up to you and there is a case for him (I wouldn't have him in my top three).

It isn't the "he was totally shite a few months ago and now he's pretty good most of the time" award :icon_lol:

Because he was so bang average last year and so much better this. Adama is terrorising defences in all competition's now. OK he still can get better but he has improved in all areas this season by a significant amount. Other have stood still or regressed such as Neves, MGW, Coady, all are yet to hit previous top form.

Because he was so bang average last year and so much better this. Adama is terrorising defences in all competition's now. OK he still can get better but he has improved in all areas this season by a significant amount. Other have stood still or regressed such as Neves, MGW, Coady, all are yet to hit previous top form.

So you're not judging players on season performances but on what you perceive they should be doing?

Not really how a POTS works.

As above, "most improved" isn't POTS.

Joao
Boly
Raul

So far for me.

Nice to meet Darlo and Langers in the London. As for the game, we stuck at it and got the result in the end. Kilman looked comfortable but was hardly challenged so I agree some of the praise is a little surprising. Neves looks so much better alongside Moutinho rather than holding Coady's hand. Hopefully we are a bit more clinical on Sunday.

Yeah mate, it was good having a chat with you and your lad

Not really how a POTS works.

It isn't, but there was more than a touch of that in Atkins, Rankine, Stearman, Naylor, Craddock and Doherty, who I think won it.

Moutinho won't win it this year, because last years form is now the expectation in people's minds, so even if he performed at the same levels he wouldn't get the credit for it. Traore could because his gap between the two so far is the greatest.

In as many seasons as not you could call it the 'he used to be shite, but now he's alright' award.

In terms of POTS, for me it is always a question of who has been the most influential player in games, the player or players who have been key to success, and on that basis this season so far it has to be one of Raul, Traore or Moutinho. Traore is definitely a player who has won us points this season and justifiably is a contender so far.

I think that’s right too. Traore is probably the one first team player significantly performing better than last season or than expected. Raul Moutinho Boly Rui are all doing what we expect them to do. It may be harsh but poty votes tend to have a element of that about them. Traore is catching eyes like Jota did last tear and Neves did the year before.

I think that’s right too. Traore is probably the one first team player significantly performing better than last season or than expected. Raul Moutinho Boly Rui are all doing what we expect them to do. It may be harsh but poty votes tend to have a element of that about them. Traore is catching eyes like Jota did last tear and Neves did the year before.

I'm struggling as to why you can't understand it's not a most improved award and still posting as though you think it is. Why, Cyber, why?

A player can be improved and be in the running for POTS surely?

Does he lose marks because he was shit last season?

Does he lose marks because he was shit last season?

No, in the same way he doesn't get points for being the most improved.

I'm struggling to see why last season should have any bearing on this season. But Cyber and others cite this consistently and that's not how POTS works is it?

I'm confused now. So the battle is he can't be POTS just because he is better than last season but at the same time last season doesn't count?

If we play the game correctly - Troare has been one of our best players this season. Started the season in a new position and did a sound job. When Doc came back in he formed a good partnership with him. Played up top he even showed he can actually score and right now, the move back to 3-4-3 has been able to work because of the form he is in. He has created the space Neves and Mout struggled to get last year when teams worked out how to shut us down. A long way to go but if a vote was held now he would be in my top 3.

Even though he's improved, he's still nowhere near 3 or 4 others this season. Just because he's gotten better doesn't automatically put him in the running.

I'm confused now. So the battle is he can't be POTS just because he is better than last season but at the same time last season doesn't count?

If we play the game correctly - Troare has been one of our best players this season. Started the season in a new position and did a sound job. When Doc came back in he formed a good partnership with him. Played up top he even showed he can actually score and right now, the move back to 3-4-3 has been able to work because of the form he is in. He has created the space Neves and Mout struggled to get last year when teams worked out how to shut us down. A long way to go but if a vote was held now he would be in my top 3.

I can see you're easily confused ;)

There is no battle, players are judged on this season alone not what they've done before. I don't see how hard that is for people to comprehend.

You have him in your top 3, I don't. Nothing to do with last season, just his performance this season.

Even though he's improved, he's still nowhere near 3 or 4 others this season. Just because he's gotten better doesn't automatically put him in the running.

Well luckily I can form my own opinion on what has happened this season and amazingly forget about last season so I don't confuse myself. He has been very good this season and in the opening parts of the season, when we were pretty average he was a stand out player and now we have found our form....he is still in form.

Back