• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I don’t think he is. But it’s a view amongst Wolves fans that he is.

Better than some of the alternatives but he s isn’t good. Passenger out of possession, repeatedly scuffs good opportunities, even when he hits them cleanly there’s barely enough power to trouble keepers at this level. It’s like he only stuns the ball rather than hitting through it with his micro legs, but other short players can still hit it…

Takes risks and is “creative” but constantly gives it away or loses it in bad areas. Too weak so easy to nullify. Never actually beats a man with his skillz but when he does he runs it out of play.

Was shit for Sporting in a farmers league - zero goals. Then 1 in 5 for Olimpiacos is a worse league.

Then there’s all the rolling on the floor just to piss you off even more.

Really?

I don't think I've ever spoken to a wolves fan who rates Podence.

Not much to add to Deutsch's observations really.

Boubacar was everywhere and nowhere in the first half, second half was much better with lots of important interceptions and far less risky passes (although not eradicated altogether). I'm gonna put the first half down to a mixture of nerves and acclimatisation and cross everything that there's a player in there because we don't half need his mobility right now.

Collins and Neves hold us together for long periods of games. We looked slightly less fragile today, but I'd hazard a guess that was more about the opposition than us. Not holding out much hope for our survival at this stage.

Been reading a lot of the verdicts and i think i’m going to go against the grain with a bit of what i’ve got to say. It wasn’t a high quality game but I don’t think there are many in this league right now, moments of brilliance yes but it’s dominated by coaches who don’t want to lose and that stifles creativity and top quality play.

Now while it wasn’t a great game i am surprised by some reactions to getting a point away at a side only beaten at home so far by Arsenal in a game where i think were actually the better side despite us being a bit of a mess as a club right now.

Tactically it’s very very basic while some basics still aren’t happening and lots of the players are lacking in confidence but the desire was there for us all to see and after last week that was good. Breaking the game down player wise…..

Sa - Had his usual moments where I don’t think he’s sure what he’s doing doing but nothing major and no chance with the goal.

Semedo - Did well after being booked in what seemed about 5 seconds. I think he’s playing slightly within himself a little but much better than Jonny at the moment.

Collins - Dealt with everything that came to him pretty well i thought and looked calm under pressure. Like that he takes responsibility in interviews too and he will only get better.

Kilman - Better today if not still where we need him to be. Didn’t react to Mee’s movement quick enough and distribution isn’t what we have come to expect either.

Bueno - Has the shirt now and if he continues to play like has he’s going to be tough to leave out. More than solid enough defensively and looks a threat going forward, another that will improve significantly.

Neves - Brilliant finish and another good performance. Goal meant a lot too him, just a shame that it’s nigh on a certainty the last season he will be here.

B.Traore - Has to start for me. Surprised at the very negative comments. Very much seems like a had to be at the game performance. Wasteful with the ball sometimes yes but always when looking to be positive and he always wants to win it back. Breaks up play a lot and has much needed mobility and while he isn’t a tidy footballer he’s going to be an effective one. Another that will improve a ton.

Adama - Genuinely may as well have been still racing kids on Sainsbury’s car park at times especially in the first half. Not helped by his or Semedo’s movement a lot of the time. Did well for the goal though as quite often he would have just lobbed it back into an area rather than look for a pass.

Nunes - Don’t think i’ve ever felt as sorry for a Wolves player as i do Matheus. He must be wondering what the fuck is going on. I can’t get on board with the negative comments because he’s being played so out of position it’s frightening. There were several periods of play in the first half when he was our furthest forward player and basically playing as the nine and no surprise to me he’s not got a clue what to do or where to be. As soon as he has to drop deep for whatever reason you see what he’s about but this number 10/false 9/ press with Costa role is tactical stupidity. As the for the criticism I genuinely don’t think some understand how out of position he is, how bat shit mental it is what he’s being asked to do and how you can judge him on what we’ve seen so far.

Podence - Now i’m one of those who can most of the time cope with Podence being Podence. Yes he spends too long on the floor, yes he tries unnecessary flicks, yes he gives the ball away, yes his shooting is mostly shit but he’s got so much ability and if anyone looks like they are going to create something it’s him. I still think in a side set up better with a goal threat and not lower league tactics he is more than capable of being a big player for us. I know lots can’t see past the Podence shenanigans and i get that but imagine if we didn’t have him.

Costa - Looked alright at times, 3 decent runs lead to 2 half chances. If he had connected with the first like he did the second i think he scores. Absolutely shagged at the end and pissed of with Ben Mee who is a twat but definitely a red and one that leaves us further up shit creek.

Moutinho - i know there were comments that he did more than Nunes but he didn’t really do much after his first touch. Can see his legs have gone and his set piece delivery is so poor most of the time. Sad but he shouldn’t be getting lots of game time now for me.

Guedes - Woefully short of confidence and it’s not hard to spot. Reluctant to shoot and in areas where he scores most of his goals. Movement was poor and not sure what we do with him to be honest.

Definitely a few bits in there that don’t go with with a lot that’s been said but just on the last 2, both Joao and Guedes didn’t come over to the fans at the end. The latter stormed off like a petulant kid and Joao just seemed like he couldn’t be arsed. Fair play to all the other who came over to give a bit of appreciation, it’s not much to clap for 2 seconds before you leave the pitch especially with the situation we’re in.

Still think we can get out of it but the longer without a manager the harder it gets. Still of the opinion that despite the lack of goals in the team as a whole a half decent manager gets a tune out of this squad and enough to see us move up the table. If/when we get one it could be too late which would be criminal really.

Hopefully we can pick up a surprise 3 points in either of the last 2 games before the world cup as that keeps us in touch but obviously that’s not too likely, however at least we know the majority of the players are still trying and that gives us a little hope.

Probably lots i’ve missed here too but despite it not being a good game i came away more positive that before the game when i couldn’t see how we got any points. Hopefully Brighton used up all their xg today and we can pinch a goal from somewhere next week.

Yes, he is, and he's registered to play in the Premier League.

We are pretty much getting to that stage as well.
I kinda don't understand why he isn't being used. Registered, gods know why, so is literally a warm body they could use instead of a kid. Can't be a worse gamble than this Costa has/was.

We have to register him by default - if there is space in the 25 man squad and they're over 21 then they go in. We don't get to choose.

Been reading a lot of the verdicts and i think i’m going to go against the grain with a bit of what i’ve got to say. It wasn’t a high quality game but I don’t think there are many in this league right now, moments of brilliance yes but it’s dominated by coaches who don’t want to lose and that stifles creativity and top quality play.

Now while it wasn’t a great game i am surprised by some reactions to getting a point away at a side only beaten at home so far by Arsenal in a game where i think were actually the better side despite us being a bit of a mess as a club right now.

Tactically it’s very very basic while some basics still aren’t happening and lots of the players are lacking in confidence but the desire was there for us all to see and after last week that was good. Breaking the game down player wise…..

Sa - Had his usual moments where I don’t think he’s sure what he’s doing doing but nothing major and no chance with the goal.

Semedo - Did well after being booked in what seemed about 5 seconds. I think he’s playing slightly within himself a little but much better than Jonny at the moment.

Collins - Dealt with everything that came to him pretty well i thought and looked calm under pressure. Like that he takes responsibility in interviews too and he will only get better.

Kilman - Better today if not still where we need him to be. Didn’t react to Mee’s movement quick enough and distribution isn’t what we have come to expect either.

Bueno - Has the shirt now and if he continues to play like has he’s going to be tough to leave out. More than solid enough defensively and looks a threat going forward, another that will improve significantly.

Neves - Brilliant finish and another good performance. Goal meant a lot too him, just a shame that it’s nigh on a certainty the last season he will be here.

B.Traore - Has to start for me. Surprised at the very negative comments. Very much seems like a had to be at the game performance. Wasteful with the ball sometimes yes but always when looking to be positive and he always wants to win it back. Breaks up play a lot and has much needed mobility and while he isn’t a tidy footballer he’s going to be an effective one. Another that will improve a ton.

Adama - Genuinely may as well have been still racing kids on Sainsbury’s car park at times especially in the first half. Not helped by his or Semedo’s movement a lot of the time. Did well for the goal though as quite often he would have just lobbed it back into an area rather than look for a pass.

Nunes - Don’t think i’ve ever felt as sorry for a Wolves player as i do Matheus. He must be wondering what the fuck is going on. I can’t get on board with the negative comments because he’s being played so out of position it’s frightening. There were several periods of play in the first half when he was our furthest forward player and basically playing as the nine and no surprise to me he’s not got a clue what to do or where to be. As soon as he has to drop deep for whatever reason you see what he’s about but this number 10/false 9/ press with Costa role is tactical stupidity. As the for the criticism I genuinely don’t think some understand how out of position he is, how bat shit mental it is what he’s being asked to do and how you can judge him on what we’ve seen so far.

Podence - Now i’m one of those who can most of the time cope with Podence being Podence. Yes he spends too long on the floor, yes he tries unnecessary flicks, yes he gives the ball away, yes his shooting is mostly shit but he’s got so much ability and if anyone looks like they are going to create something it’s him. I still think in a side set up better with a goal threat and not lower league tactics he is more than capable of being a big player for us. I know lots can’t see past the Podence shenanigans and i get that but imagine if we didn’t have him.

Costa - Looked alright at times, 3 decent runs lead to 2 half chances. If he had connected with the first like he did the second i think he scores. Absolutely shagged at the end and pissed of with Ben Mee who is a twat but definitely a red and one that leaves us further up shit creek.

Moutinho - i know there were comments that he did more than Nunes but he didn’t really do much after his first touch. Can see his legs have gone and his set piece delivery is so poor most of the time. Sad but he shouldn’t be getting lots of game time now for me.

Guedes - Woefully short of confidence and it’s not hard to spot. Reluctant to shoot and in areas where he scores most of his goals. Movement was poor and not sure what we do with him to be honest.

Definitely a few bits in there that don’t go with with a lot that’s been said but just on the last 2, both Joao and Guedes didn’t come over to the fans at the end. The latter stormed off like a petulant kid and Joao just seemed like he couldn’t be arsed. Fair play to all the other who came over to give a bit of appreciation, it’s not much to clap for 2 seconds before you leave the pitch especially with the situation we’re in.

Still think we can get out of it but the longer without a manager the harder it gets. Still of the opinion that despite the lack of goals in the team as a whole a half decent manager gets a tune out of this squad and enough to see us move up the table. If/when we get one it could be too late which would be criminal really.

Hopefully we can pick up a surprise 3 points in either of the last 2 games before the world cup as that keeps us in touch but obviously that’s not too likely, however at least we know the majority of the players are still trying and that gives us a little hope.

Probably lots i’ve missed here too but despite it not being a good game i came away more positive that before the game when i couldn’t see how we got any points. Hopefully Brighton used up all their xg today and we can pinch a goal from somewhere next week.
Love how you mentioned four big negatives with Podence with the caveat of he has ‘ so much ability’. Not sure what that ability is?

Good post thanks.
I agree lots of potential in our side. What a shame that potential will be reached with other clubs.

I agree with this, when Kilman went off to get patched up Neves went to CB and Nunes went into CM. He received a pass on half way dropped his shoulder, completely flummoxed their CM's and broke into space. For a minute he came alive in his natural position and then Sa went down and that was that.

My worry whoever the manager is would be the goals. A decent appointment could rebuild the confidence, make us more difficult to break down and maybe even play our record signing in his best position. I'm not sure they'll get goals out-of this side though, we'd be relying on one nils a lot.

The only hope I'd have is Raul coming back to his old self, but I don't think that player is there any more or with a new signing early in January, but we aren't going to be very appealing and will the budget be made available after the Summer spend?

We have 6 goals this year, 2 mishits, 2 Neves beauties, a VAR penalty from a none dangerous situation and the Palace goal. Only the last one is something you can work on being repeated.

The 3 teams to go down are in the current bottom 7 (6 other than Leicester), but even poor sides like Bournemouth Leeds, Southampton and Villa have scored nearly twice what we have

The commentary stream i had obviously knew nothing about Wolves. When Sa wasted time for Kilman to get stitched up, they kept going on about how he'd not received a knock to his hand all match. They didn't know he'd been playing with the injury nearly all season. It was great to see though !!

My worry whoever the manager is would be the goals. A decent appointment could rebuild the confidence, make us more difficult to break down and maybe even play our record signing in his best position. I'm not sure they'll get goals out-of this side though, we'd be relying on one nils a lot.

The only hope I'd have is Raul coming back to his old self, but I don't think that player is there any more or with a new signing early in January, but we aren't going to be very appealing and will the budget be made available after the Summer spend?

We have 6 goals this year, 2 mishits, 2 Neves beauties, a VAR penalty from a none dangerous situation and the Palace goal. Only the last one is something you can work on being repeated.

The 3 teams to go down are in the current bottom 7 (6 other than Leicester), but even poor sides like Bournemouth Leeds, Southampton and Villa have scored nearly twice what we have

Yep the exact point I’m making on why I think it’s very unlikely we’ll escape this mess is the lack of goals and lack of clear chances created.
This isn’t going to turn around overnight, you can blame injuries but frankly losing Neto whose form has been a shadow since returning from injury.
When you look at our squad and what’s available it’s nothing special.

Sa-glaring error most games
Semedo- very patchy, can be good.
Collins-error once per game
Kilman- as above
Bueno-definite potential
RAN- patchy
Johnny-went missing long ago
Gomes-very raw
Mosquera- we don’t know
B Traore- has shown glimpses
Nunes- clearly isn’t happy here
Neves- genuine quality at this level
Moutinho- should only be used sparingly but would still do a job
Guedes- shown nothing since arriving
A Traore-patchy again
Podence-proper 1/5 player to unreliable
Hwang- I’d be disappointed if he’s playing here in the championship
Costa- looks what he is a player who used to be good, but that since left long ago
Neto-could be good but needs to rediscover his form
Jimenez- an absolute shell of his former self

When you look at that list it tells you why we’re in so much trouble and how keeping Lage or even appointing him has caused severe damage.

Yep the exact point I’m making on why I think it’s very unlikely we’ll escape this mess is the lack of goals and lack of clear chances created.
This isn’t going to turn around overnight, you can blame injuries but frankly losing Neto whose form has been a shadow since returning from injury.
When you look at our squad and what’s available it’s nothing special.

Sa-glaring error most games
Semedo- very patchy, can be good.
Collins-error once per game
Kilman- as above
Bueno-definite potential
RAN- patchy
Johnny-went missing long ago
Gomes-very raw
Mosquera- we don’t know
B Traore- has shown glimpses
Nunes- clearly isn’t happy here
Neves- genuine quality at this level
Moutinho- should only be used sparingly but would still do a job
Guedes- shown nothing since arriving
A Traore-patchy again
Podence-proper 1/5 player to unreliable
Hwang- I’d be disappointed if he’s playing here in the championship
Costa- looks what he is a player who used to be good, but that since left long ago
Neto-could be good but needs to rediscover his form
Jimenez- an absolute shell of his former self

When you look at that list it tells you why we’re in so much trouble and how keeping Lage or even appointing him has caused severe damage.
Most defenders make at least one error each game!

We have to register him by default - if there is space in the 25 man squad and they're over 21 then they go in. We don't get to choose.
Exactly - it's why Bonatini is registered and has a squad number; but clearly isn't at all wanted and doesn't appear in anything the club put out - though whether that our choice or his is impossible to say at present.

He's out of contract in the summer, so I expect him to be released on 31 January.

Back