• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

I don't agree with Johnson and his gravy train crew, but I genuinely don't know what else they can do - the traffic light system they are talkign about is the same as used in Germany and other places. Its not great, but what is the alternative? Its all very well talking about shielding the elderly / vulnerable, but that can never be 100%.

They could get a track and trace system that works for a start.

I'm not putting my life on hold for nothing, just no. We cannot freeze everything until it all goes away because 1) it'll further cripple the economy, 2) it'll absolutely ravage mental health (even for people who aren't already ill, like I am), 3) it won't go away.

Then we need to accept that a lot of vulnerable people will die, we lost 0.1% of the population so far I think?

Track and Trace will help, but its not going to solve everything.

We accept that as a matter of course anyway, don't we? They're vulnerable for a reason.

Ironically you make me hundreds of times more vulnerable if you go ripping my life up, and I'm young(ish), fit and healthy physically.

I don't disagree at all, and I completely get that the plans need to cater for all vulnerable people - not just those at risk of coronavirus. I just don't think giving up on containment and expecting it go through and cull probably 1-2% of the population is the solution either.

I've got a feeling they'll put the schools into the 2 week cycle that's been mentioned before after half term in a bid to reduce the rate before Christmas. They won't announce it until the last week of half term tho, obvs.

Yes I think so too. But it only works if everything else is locked down too.

Boris's call for people to work from home if they can has seemingly fallen on deaf ears. Traffic is worse than ever on the roads and I don't know a single person who has followed the advice, aside from people who are still doing it from the original lockdown.

Beyond our esteemed government's highly effective stop/start/go/who knows? strategy, what would you all think of a full lockdown later on, say once the R-number has drifted down some way closer to 1? My thinking being that a lockdown then would (should/could) crush the rate to well below that feted digit? - I don't quite see how gaining a few weeks here and there as is the current model is doing anything more than delaying the inevitable.

Boris's call for people to work from home if they can has seemingly fallen on deaf ears. Traffic is worse than ever on the roads and I don't know a single person who has followed the advice, aside from people who are still doing it from the original lockdown.

Probably more down to the bosses than the people though. Don't tell the people, tell the employers and enforce if needed.

Probably more down to the bosses than the people though. Don't tell the people, tell the employers and enforce if needed.

Yep, 100% agree. My other half (we work at the same place) could do her job from home, but her boss detests the idea of it, so it's a complete non-starter.

I work at the council, the Civic Centre has been closed to staff and public since March. Until recently they were planning a phased reopening in September but we've now been told it will be the other side of Christmas if not nearer March 2021

I actually left the house yesterday (felt a bit like Matt from Game on) and the roads were still much quieter than pre-covid - 1 hour from home to the edge of Nottingham on a work day is pretty exceptional.

Go to work. Don't go to work. Go to the pub. Don't go to the pub. Let's get back to doing all the things we've missed. Don't congregate in groups in confined places (pubs/house parties...).

It's almost like its deliberate misinformation from uncle Dom...#herdimmunityanyone?

I've been going to the office in Cheadle Cheshire once a week for the last month. An hour and 45/50 commute is now 1 hour 20/25. It's the dual carriageways and Motorways which are quiet, local roads up there are similar to before.

Birmingham New Road is dire.

Roads around the industrial estates of Telford don't seem much different to pre covid around starting/going home time

Don't knock the work of Dido and her team.....

from the beeb

The latest figures from the Test and Trace service in England show that the close contacts of 68.6% of people who tested positive for Covid-19 were reached in the week ending 30 September.

That is down from 72.5% the previous week and is the lowest weekly percentage since Test and Trace began in May. It comes as the service faced its largest ever number of positive tests with 51,475 confirmed cases, a 56% increase on the previous week.

In cases handled by local health protection teams, 97.1% of contacts were reached and asked to self-isolate. But when cases were handled online or by call centres, only 62.4% of close contacts were reached and asked to self-isolate.

Back