• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crawley (H) (League Cup) - 09/08/16 - Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0sl0

Reaction score
The first cup game of the season is never a particularly interesting affair, but this one might be an exception as it's surely a good opportunity to give the new players lacking match fitness a run-out. (It's about as important as a pre-season friendly in the grand scheme of things to the new owners as well, let's be honest.)

Counterpoint to that, though, is that Zenga might want to get to grips more with the main team, which he's only had one match and a couple of days of training to assess. He might not want to break that unit up too much. Who knows?

If I had to guess, I'd imagine we'll see something like this...

Lonergan/Flatt
Doherty - Batth - Hause - Deslandes
Price - Teixeira - Saville
Ennis/Enobakhare - Bodvarsson - Costa​

(I'm assuming Silvio is too unfit even for a short run-out - hence not making the bench on Saturday - and Talisca, if he signs, won't be slotted straight in without a single training session first.)

Last edited:
I'd prefer Evans given another go over Saville but tbh I have no idea how Walt is going to approach this one.
Would make sense to give the new signings a run out but we'll see.

What is up with Silvio? I assumed he'd trained ok since he signed.

What is up with Silvio? I assumed he'd trained ok since he signed.

My guess is he isn't injured so much as just really unfit, not even up to being able to run around for a half an hour maybe, so will need to be eased into it more gradually. We should hear more this week with the next injury update, hopefully...

Zenga confirms Silvio is injured, out for 3 weeks

Sounds to me like he's saying there will be a few changes but not an entirely changed first XI.

Iorfa's appeal unsuccessful so he is unavailable for tonight

Iorfa's appeal unsuccessful so he is unavailable for tonight

I hope they didn't add to the suspension.

We'll win 3-0 in any case!

As long as appealing (& losing it) haven't extended the ban then its not an issue

The only time they add to the ban is if the appeal is just ridiculous. Such as appealing being sent off for a two footed challenge into the chest of the opposing player. Iorfa's was one of those that some refs wouldn't have shown a red card for so it will just be dismissed and nothing else

I would say it was less of a red card than Berra's at Watford which we got overturned under Solbakken. But as has been said, don't give the ref a decision to make, there's barely a player in the league who's going to beat Dom in a sprint over 40-60 yards so he didn't need to do it.

It'll be interesting to see how Big Walt's 'the ball is never out, the game is never finished' philosophy translates to Crawley Town in front of an empty Molineux in the league cup first round.

Hopefully we get to see at least 60 mins for Tex & Costa. Don't think we'll see Bodvarsson as he took a really nasty kick towards the end of the Rotherham game (shortly before sprinting half the length of the pitch the fucking hero) and will probably be rested for Reading.

Lonergan

Doherty Batth Hause Deslandes

Coady Price

Wallace Teixeira Costa

Mason​

I'd hope Ennis and Ronan start. No value at all in playing someone like Coady, we don't want him. Plus he'll get technically outclassed by the opposition tonight.

The first cup game of the season is never a particularly interesting affair, but this one might be an exception as it's surely a good opportunity to give the new players lacking match fitness a run-out. (It's about as important as a pre-season friendly in the grand scheme of things to the new owners as well, let's be honest.)

Counterpoint to that, though, is that Zenga might want to get to grips more with the main team, which he's only had one match and a couple of days of training to assess. He might not want to break that unit up too much. Who knows?

If I had to guess, I'd imagine we'll see something like this...

Lonergan/Flatt
Doherty - Batth - Hause - Deslandes
Price - Teixeira - Saville
Ennis/Enobakhare - Bodvarsson - Costa​

(I'm assuming Silvio is too unfit even for a short run-out - hence not making the bench on Saturday - and Talisca, if he signs, won't be slotted straight in without a single training session first.)

Exactly - will the wholesale changes change this. Not expecting us to romp to a 6-0 win but not expect us to finish 90 minutes at 0-0 then labour through extra time and lose on penalties. Then read on here and elsewhere that anyone who paid to watch it wants a refund

I would say it was less of a red card than Berra's at Watford which we got overturned under Solbakken. But as has been said, don't give the ref a decision to make, there's barely a player in the league who's going to beat Dom in a sprint over 40-60 yards so he didn't need to do it.
Because of the angle on the highlights you had to be there and see the side-on view to appreciate how blatant it was. I called it as a red as soon as the ref blew for it. It was so obvious.

I'd hope Ennis and Ronan start. No value at all in playing someone like Coady, we don't want him. Plus he'll get technically outclassed by the opposition tonight.

I just think every player who was on the bench vs Rotherham will start vs Crawley. Zenga hasn't had a full pre season, this'll be his chance to see what the rest of his first team squad can do. We've got the Johnstone's Paint or whatever it is now to play Ennis/Ronan etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back