• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 Qualifiers - The Road to France

I think Wales are on the slide as well now....down to 14th I believe #remembertheglorydays

Think Ireland are going to be pot 4 anyway. The six lowest ranked sides likely to make it are Northern Ireland, Albania, Wales, Iceland, Ireland and Turkey.

How would Hungary not in Pot 4, when did they last qualify for a tournament?

My confusion grows. Hungary have not made a major tournament final for thirty years, so if it goes on your previous record they will have to be in pot four.

How would Hungary not in Pot 4, when did they last qualify for a tournament?

They are 20th on the coefficient list, all those six are below them (so are Denmark if they make it). The maths of it all is beyond me.

Bosnia with very slow LVG tactics of football..they have potential but throw it all away, must be frustrating for fans..ireland deserve to go through massively

If Sweden and Ukraine go through tomorrow the pots should be as follows:

Pot 1

France
Germany
Spain
England
Portugal
Belgium

Pot 2

Italy
Russia
Switzerland
Austria
Croatia
Ukraine

Pot 3

Czech Republic
Sweden
Poland
Romania
Slovakia
Hungary

Pot 4

Turkey
Ireland
Iceland
Wales
Northern Ireland
Albania

Don't think it actually matters with the Sweden/Denmark game, either will be in Pot 3 according to my rudimentary workings. The only way any of that should change is if Slovenia pull off a very unlikely turnaround vs Ukraine.

i really think we could go out to denmark, they are very strong at "Parken" and we have many injuries especially in central defence...

England, Austria, Hungary, Albania. Please?

Please God there's no chance that England get drawn in the same group as 'the plucky Irish'.

So best case:
Ukraine
Hungary
Albania

Worst
Italy
Czech Rep
Wales

?

Pretty much as I had it - apart from Ireland being in 4 which is a surprise. It is hideously complicated maths.

Speaking with my Wales hat on, having never made a tournament since 1958, pot four is the only place. FIFA rankings are ridiculous. Even as a Wenglishman, that top ten stuff was nonsensical.

Good thing is, avoid England, and the other home nations plus Ireland avoid what is not a good match. Remember the Ireland v England games in 1988 and 1990. They were DIRE.

If that draw is confirmed, then England best scenario is ENGLAND, UKRAINE, HUNGARY, ALBANIA

For the other three in pot four, they will be wanting PORTUGAL, UKRAINE, HUNGARY

Don't think there's anything stopping us getting Switzerland in the finals (despite having them in our qualifying group) so they'd be my best case pick out of Pot 2. We breezed past them twice.

Austria are improving and Ukraine are an awkward side to face. Realistically though - given that four third placed teams go through (thanks Monsieur Platini) even a Group of Death should be negotiable.

Back