• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 watch

Not playing a front 3 being the first of the better options.

Depends how they play it in many ways its a system where Roy can keep his team compact. In a diamond or a 4-2-3-1 I see better teams exploiting the gaps which open up.

Depends how they play it in many ways its a system where Roy can keep his team compact. In a diamond or a 4-2-3-1 I see better teams exploiting the gaps which open up.

I just don't see it as the way to get the best out of the squad, there isn't really anyone there who will excel in the wider positions of the front three. All of Kane, Vardy, Rooney and Sturridge do their best work in central areas, Lallana has struggled with his end product since going to Liverpool and Sterling looks to have gone backwards at an alarming rate since joining City, the only player who plays that role well for England is Welbeck and he's injured.

For me it makes far more sense to go with the diamond, it keeps everyone in their favoured positions, Kane and Vardy are both playing as central strikers, Alli gets freedom to roam behind them and Dier can concentrate on sitting back holding that midfield position. There's plenty of energy at fullback to get up and down providing width, regardless of which two get the nod they're all capable of it, for me the only questions marks are you more standard midfield two, Wilshere is nailed on for one of them fitness allowing as he provides something different to any of the others, I see Barkley being too cavalier, Drinkwater perhaps a little too safe, Milner has energy but not always quality, Henderson likewise.

I just dont think England defend well enough in one on one situations so I look at the best way of remaining compact. So I prefer 4-1-4-1..
Roy spoke before the Turkey game about how he wished to set up his front three with his wide strikers not going so wide as to becoming wingers. Its probably with a view to using Vardy and Sterling.

I just dont think England defend well enough in one on one situations so I look at the best way of remaining compact. So I prefer 4-1-4-1..
Roy spoke before the Turkey game about how he wished to set up his front three with his wide strikers not going so wide as to becoming wingers. Its probably with a view to using Vardy and Sterling.

Who are you using wide to play 4141?

There are very few English wide players of the required quality and even fewer in any sort of form to be locking down a starting position, I think you need to put out a team that will make a most of the players who are performing rather than having to rely on inferior or at least out of form players to use a system who's primary focus is making you harder to beat rather than anything else, it's the sort of negative thinking that's provided many dull tournaments for England.

Who are you using wide to play 4141?

There are very few English wide players of the required quality and even fewer in any sort of form to be locking down a starting position, I think you need to put out a team that will make a most of the players who are performing rather than having to rely on inferior or at least out of form players to use a system who's primary focus is making you harder to beat rather than anything else, it's the sort of negative thinking that's provided many dull tournaments for England.

I think many teams will play quite narrow in midfield during this Championship rather than looking to be expansive. Playing off the oppositions mistakes rather than being especially creative.

I think many teams will play quite narrow in midfield during this Championship rather than looking to be expansive. Playing off the oppositions mistakes rather than being especially creative.

Really? Spain, Germany, Belgium and France all play with width, whether it be from the front or genuine wide men or having front men tucked in and lot full backs provide width.

But you said you favoured a wider formation to help the team remain compact, now you're saying other teams will play narrow rather than be expansive, so now I'm confused.

Roy will play

4-2-3-1

Expect something like

-----------------------Hart-------------------------------------------

Clyne----------Cahill------------Smalling-----------------Rose

------------------Dier---------Wilshire--------------------------

-------Rooney------------Alli--------------------Vardy---------

---------------------Kane----------------------------------------

me I would swap Vardy out for Lallana. I think he plays well as part of a 3, closes down really well.

Roy only plays 4-3-3 or the diamond formation.

You could argue that 4-3-3 is 4-2-3-1 as Hodgson tends to play with 2 deep midfielders as part of his 3 and 2 attacking midfielders to go with his obligatory forward shoved out wide.

England V Germany

4-2-3-1

Henderson and Dier were the 2 defensive midfielders

Holland
Drinkwater defensive

He has played 2 defensive Midfielders quite a few times

Dier / Henderson being his preferred pair

Me I think he will go with
Dier and Wilshire, looking for Wilshire to play a bit further up the pitch than Dier, but rarely if ever getting in advance of the ball.

Wilshere was in advance of the ball pretty often against Turkey.

Needs to get match fit first, blowing out of his arse on Sunday

Not surprising given how much time he has been out injured this season. And if he isn't match fit, then I do not think he can be in the starting eleven.

Not surprising given how much time he has been out injured this season. And if he isn't match fit, then I do not think he can be in the starting eleven.

He shouldn't be in the 23 if he isnt match fit

Sturridge apparently sat out training with a knock, again.

If he was a horse, he'd have been sent to the glue factory by now. Adds weight to the argument Rashford should go.

Back