• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2020

As an Irish person ( a passionate Irish Wolves fan by the way since 1986 ) , I watched the match last night and didn't really care who won . I felt coming up to the game that Denmark were over rated . They were a hard working team and do have players playing in relatively strong club sides in various European countries , but no way did they have the quality in key positions that England have .
England deserved to win last night hands down . They were way more ambitious and creative - even considering how cautious a man that Southgate is .
Let's be clear here - this is where England should be when you consider how strong they have been at under age level in the last 10 - 15 years and when you see the quality of under age player they have coming through . Southgate keeps changing his first 11 and it makes little difference . It's well over due , but no way should it have taken this long to reach another final .
Finally , one thing that really annoys me is the diving and simulation by Kane , Sterling and Grealish . If they were playing for a club side last night and Wolves were the opposition we would have been furious at their antics .
When they are running side by side with a defender they deliberately look for contact and then exaggerate the rebound and fall to the ground . The penalty last night was not even related to one .
I have been quite impressive by the refereeing at this tournament , but last night he still gave a free kick for almost every dive / fall by Kane and co. . It's terrible to watch and any aspiring young player watching at home will surely copy them .

Sorry - what was the real reason that Grealish was withdrawn last night ?

Bringing on Trippier to bolster up the defence is fine , but surely he could have taken off a number of other players other than Grealish ?

Don't think he was injured .

Bringing on a player and then taking him off is embarrassing for the player and seems to indicate a player not following a clear set of instructions .

Bringing on Trippier to bolster up the defence is fine , but surely he could have taken off a number of other players other than Grealish ?

Bringing on a player and then taking him off is embarrassing for the player and seems to indicate a player not following a clear set of instructions .
Sterling was playing better than Grealish was?

Grealish was doing the least defensively and had given the ball away a number of times.

Straight up tactical switch, no other agenda.

We went to the 3 CB's so Walker moved across and Trippier as a RWB. Options to sub were from the front men. Not taking off Kane, as we would have no target and if you are asking 1 of Sterling and Grealish to get the ball deep and run with it into their half on the counter, then Sterling wins that and he showed Southgate made the right call. So Grealish was just unlucky rather than dragged off as a punishment or for being shit

Yeah the sub of Grealish shows under the polite, nice man exterior of Southgate, all that matters to him is getting the job done

Maybe it was a pen after all
However many angles you look at or however you dress it up, it was a soft pemalty. If the previous one on Kane had been given, I doubt there would be much controversy......levelling up maybe?

Absolutely knackered this morning couldn’t get to sleep last night at all.

great to be in a final - finally.

i've felt totally relaxed about our chances in each game and scotland blip aside had no worries we'd get to the final. i don't know if it's just feeling we've got the best squad and should be winning the games or maybe even a slight disconnect with the team now i'm older.

great response to going behind. there were a couple danish breaks at 1-0 up that were the only concern for me in the game. after 70 mins or so, only one side in it and i think we'd have found a way to win in extra time regardless of the penalty award. so i don't think it really changed the game outcome. we've had some dodgy things against us over the years in more evenly poised games - maradona, koeman, beckham s/o, lampard goal - so we were surely due a bit of luck.

but definite dive for me. i am livid when that happens against wolves and we do moan about kane's antics when we play spurs. sadly it's now a standard part of the game. players do it because the upside far outweighs any downside - there virtually is no downside.

anyway, on to the final. Italy have looked good early on. but i thought they were very lucky to get through Spain who just needed a more clinical striker or to bring Adama on. on squad strength, a comfortable 2-0 win? :)

Watching the penalty again not sure why people are so upset about it he clearly has his knee clipped so it’s a good call for me.

I'd absolutely love to be one of those bandwagon jumpers and get a ticket for the final, but any that are released will be like gold dust and/or I'd need to sell a kidney to afford.

great to be in a final - finally.

i've felt totally relaxed about our chances in each game and scotland blip aside had no worries we'd get to the final. i don't know if it's just feeling we've got the best squad and should be winning the games or maybe even a slight disconnect with the team now i'm older.

great response to going behind. there were a couple danish breaks at 1-0 up that were the only concern for me in the game. after 70 mins or so, only one side in it and i think we'd have found a way to win in extra time regardless of the penalty award. so i don't think it really changed the game outcome. we've had some dodgy things against us over the years in more evenly poised games - maradona, koeman, beckham s/o, lampard goal - so we were surely due a bit of luck.

but definite dive for me. i am livid when that happens against wolves and we do moan about kane's antics when we play spurs. sadly it's now a standard part of the game. players do it because the upside far outweighs any downside - there virtually is no downside.

anyway, on to the final. Italy have looked good early on. but i thought they were very lucky to get through Spain who just needed a more clinical striker or to bring Adama on. on squad strength, a comfortable 2-0 win? :)
yeah agree with all this..... Italy played some scintillating football most of the tournament but were pushed back and outplayed by Spain....however they reverted to their old style tactics i.e. strong defensive play (and shithousing) and got the job done. It will be an interest ing game on Sunday, probably quite tense

I dont get this not a pen malarky.
The first one where he caught his leg, there was no where near enough contact.

But the sccond one he hit him at Hip level with his body, the VAR angle View, showed it perfectly.

I think it's a good sign that Italy were so well-matched by Spain - it was the first game they'd had against an opponent who was better at holding possession than them. Holding possession and controlling the tempo is something this England team seem pretty good at. But then, at the same time, the middle of the first half saw Denmark able to unsettle England the same way - getting a goal back so quickly settled things down again for half time, but who knows what might have happened going in behind instead.

Final's pretty much a coin toss in my eyes for who'll come on top, but home advantage could be the thing that tips it.

yeah agree with all this..... Italy played some scintillating football most of the tournament but were pushed back and outplayed by Spain....however they reverted to their old style tactics i.e. strong defensive play (and shithousing) and got the job done. It will be an interest ing game on Sunday, probably quite tense
first goal will be important. i'd agree you don't want to be a goal down to them going into the final 15, say. they are definitely capable of shithousing a result from there.

As an Irish person ( a passionate Irish Wolves fan by the way since 1986 ) , I watched the match last night and didn't really care who won . I felt coming up to the game that Denmark were over rated . They were a hard working team and do have players playing in relatively strong club sides in various European countries , but no way did they have the quality in key positions that England have .
England deserved to win last night hands down . They were way more ambitious and creative - even considering how cautious a man that Southgate is .
Let's be clear here - this is where England should be when you consider how strong they have been at under age level in the last 10 - 15 years and when you see the quality of under age player they have coming through . Southgate keeps changing his first 11 and it makes little difference . It's well over due , but no way should it have taken this long to reach another final .
Finally , one thing that really annoys me is the diving and simulation by Kane , Sterling and Grealish . If they were playing for a club side last night and Wolves were the opposition we would have been furious at their antics .
When they are running side by side with a defender they deliberately look for contact and then exaggerate the rebound and fall to the ground . The penalty last night was not even related to one .
I have been quite impressive by the refereeing at this tournament , but last night he still gave a free kick for almost every dive / fall by Kane and co. . It's terrible to watch and any aspiring young player watching at home will surely copy them .
Yeah, right to highlight this because I didn't see any 6 foot plus Danes rolling round on the floor clutching their faces at the slightest of contact...

Back