• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2020

I’m now convinced more than ever that I’ll never see us win anything, lots of nears but that final hurdle will always be there.

The tournament was great up until today and tonight was in London today for a course near Marble Arch. The walk from there to Paddington station wasn’t pleasant the atmosphere at the station was like a giant stag do and not a nice one, very unnerving can fully understand why England fans when abroad can come across as being very aggressive.
Doesn’t surprise me the scenes at Wembley way earlier. Common theme amongst journalists and pundits was that the atmosphere on Wembley way toxic, scary and dangerous.
Gates were stormed and ticketless fans got into the ground.
Bad day and night all round really.

This has really wound me up, I'm more disappointed and angry with this than the result.

Ones a 19 year old kid who was in absolute bits, the other has campaigned for free school meals for the needy and the third is just 21 years old. Disgusting that they have had any abuse let alone pathetic cowardly racism.

This has really wound me up, I'm more disappointed and angry with this than the result.

Ones a 19 year old kid who was in absolute bits, the other has campaigned for free school meals for the needy and the third is just 21 years old. Disgusting that they have had any abuse let alone pathetic cowardly racism.
Always going to be the way to a large percentage of our society - only one of us as long as they know their place and do what they are told.

Sadly that's not a surprise. The thing to do now is to try and park some of the tribalism of the prem/English league and for the fans who support the players kneeling, their stances, their views on social issues and who are disgusted to hear about the abuse to let them know that. Wolves v Arsenal this year, cheer Saka, he scores then applaud him, he gets subbed on or off then applaud him. Same with all the others, regardless of club, atmosphere or circumstances of the game, race, let all the players who played in that tournament know they are valued, and that it is an unwanted contingent who are abusive.

You can be the most passionate and tribal fan imaginable but there is only one side to be on versus hate and discrimination.

(Sorry to have gone all head teachers assembly)

Delighted with runner up overall, but disappointed that we lost that game. If you're 1 up at home with 65 mins down with our strength in depth you should be winning that game.

Complete control of the first half and no danger. It was clear things had changed in the second quite early on and Southgate should have changed things before they scored.

Better side in extra time but I always got the feeling it was too late by then.

Shaw goal of the tournament and Rice was the best player on the pitch. Gutted for Pickford whose saves still weren't enough to counter 3 shit penalties. Nobody to blame but themselves.

Well I predicted Italy after the first few games and frankly they were the better team on the night.
Sad for the kids who missed but I think south gate has to admit he kinda ballsed the sub's and the dropping back twenty yards in the second half.
Thought the sako change was a wrong one at the time, the Italians had too much highly experienced niggliness and nouse for him at that stage.

Not that it had an impact on last night but people keep saying Italy were the best team of the tournament, despite the fact they should have lost to Austria.

England have been immense.

Not that it had an impact on last night but people keep saying Italy were the best team of the tournament, despite the fact they should have lost to Austria.

History will be rewritten now like always after tournaments. They should have lost to Austria, just about deserved to beat Belgium and were played off the park by Spain. Not a great Italy team by any standard and we've let a great opportunity slip by. Ah well.

Italy have bot been perfect but over the course of the tournament have been the best team overall. I had Italy as favourites at the start of last nights game. It concerned me how they got the job done against Spain, after playing some lovely free flowing football early on, when they needed to dig in and grind a result out, they did it quite comfortably.
As for England, think we did well, maybe Southgate did get the subs/penalties wrong but I have to say I think he's done a great job with them youngsters. Its a bit churlish imo to 'call out' any of the squad or coaching team. Hopefully the end last night hasn't wrecked the confidence of Saka and Sancho and we've got more to look forward to than with previous Engand squads.

Apparently, we had been practicing penalties every day in training!

Imagine how bad they might have been if we hadn't practiced ......

Apparently, we had been practicing penalties every day in training!

Imagine how bad they might have been if we hadn't practiced ......
Don't bring players on 30 seconds beforehand they'll be cold and not feel like they are in the match, don't let a 19 year old kid take responsibility with more senior players around. It's not difficult. We lost that game yesterday because of one man and he didn't take a penalty

I don't want to criticise Southgate too much as he got us to the final, however not one other team in that tournament would start games with all of Grealish, Sancho, Foden & Bellingham on the bench.

As Baddiel said on Twitter yesterday - we had the talent to win that match, they were just sat on the bench for most of it.

In the cold light of day it is difficult to argue against an Italy win. The tactic of late subs for penalties seemed flawed and was proved to be. I cannot be the only person utterly surprised to see Saka as the fifth penalty taker. 19 raw and not having the best of games. I really thought Pickford would have taken one. He always looks up for it! Grealish and Sterling were surprise omissions in that list too. But still, nothing excuses the abhorrent abuse that is being reported. I refuse to use Twitter as it is troll central . How can skin pigmentation be so discriminating to these morons? Sancho, Rashford and Saka are representing England! Horrible racist bigots can’t be allowed to win. I am embarrassed to be associated with England football if that standard of behaviour is still allowed.

Two players who barely got minutes in the games before and then expecting those same two players to take penalties didnt feel right to me.

I'd have let Pickford bollock one as hard as be could before allowing a 19 year old boy to take the 5th penalty, especially considering how much Saka faded.

I don't want to criticise Southgate too much as he got us to the final, however not one other team in that tournament would start games with all of Grealish, Sancho, Foden & Bellingham on the bench.

As Baddiel said on Twitter yesterday - we had the talent to win that match, they were just sat on the bench for most of it.
His substitutions absolutely could have been better/actually happened, but his team selection was spot on, when one wing back crosses for the other to finish after 2 minutes then you have to say fair play.

What killed us was the mentality in the second half, we went from a team that had swagger and confidence who looked like they could create (and concede) chances to one who sat 10 yards deeper and tried to hold shape. From the first minute of that half until it finally happened the equaliser was inevitable. That came from one man, his cautiousness threw our best chance in 55 years of winning a major tournament in the bin and that's before the penalty fiasco which wasn't a lottery, we got what we deserved

Last edited:
Back