• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2020

Sancho has played on huge stages and he's about to move for £80m, he has scored 10 penalties for Dortmund I think. No issue with him taking one at all, he should have been one of the top picks out of the whole 26 man squad. Just messed it up, like they all do sometimes.

If Rashford or Sancho didn't feel they could do it in the circumstances, surely they will have told Southgate as much?

My guess is that they were eager to come on. They will have known that would have been the plan in such a situation, I'd think.

This guy's either a blooming good actor, or he's a bit radio rental.

Maybe they should do a mini series where they break other major news to him. Like “Guess who’s dead? or “Did you know there’s a deadly virus going around?”

I’ve got no issues with bringing them on for a shoot-out. What I have issues with is him not making subs earlier.

It’s an international tournament where we have been playing pretty regularly, after long seasons, in a summer (although other than Croatia and Ukraine it hasn’t been hot, but still warm), and we had extra time 4 days ago. We’ve been told we have an embarrassment of riches in forward areas and a million FBs. Mancini made plenty of changes earlier, some enforced and some to freshen things up. Mount was done miles before he eventually came off, Phillips was never good. Sterling was never taking a penalty and had racked up loads of minutes prior.

Fair enough you don’t want to take Kane off. But There were plenty of other options that would have given us a greater chance of winning in normal time whilst also not affecting our penalty takers situation.

Lad I work with has just said "are we sure that all these racist abuses are coming from adults and not just kids mucking about?".

FFS. Either is completely unacceptable.

Where would these kids mucking about get the idea that racist filth was just mucking about? Your workmate should think that through.

The thing with taking pens though for me is why do you shoot it at exactly the right height for the keeper to throw himself, without getting down fast or trying to reach very high up? Cant believe that, it is a recipe for disaster every time and they never learn

The thing with taking pens though for me is why do you shoot it at exactly the right height for the keeper to throw himself, without getting down fast or trying to reach very high up? Cant believe that, it is a recipe for disaster every time and they never learn
Go high and you risk getting wrong and putting it over. Go low and hope the keeper has gone the wrong way. Also the pressure at the moment can take over. Kane in the SF took a penalty like he never would for Spurs and got lucky

Didn't want to talk about the game today, but of course customers had different ideas. I managed to bite my lip as Americans (hi Alan) offered opinions on where England went wrong, whilst also showing how little attention they actually paid to the game. Some of them are very good customers, but it was difficult to not shout at one guy who insisted

- all the England penalty takers had just played 120 minutes
- he would have done better than one player (Rashford) who watched the keeper dive one way then missed by 5 foot the other way
- 70% of games at the Euros finished in a tie
- they only have penalties for the semis and final
- nobody likes 1-1, so they should make the goals 6 foot wider
- then scrap offside, but have 2 goalies per side

When did Graham Jones join the England set up ?

I think in a penalty shootout you should hit it as hard as you can on target, especially when facing a giant like Donnarumma. Doesn't matter where you hit it, high , low , straight. The times a keeper gets a hand to it and it still goes in outweighs the time they save it. Both saves for Donnarumma were decent but comfortable once he had guessed correctly which way to dive. Pickford's save from Jorginho was the best of the lot for me.

He still would have saved Saka's no matter how hard he struck it. He guess the right way, it was a good height for the keeper, and it wasn't far enough in the corner.

When did Graham Jones join the England set up ?
Prior to the tournament. I think that the Scottish guy who had been part of the set up was released from his duties after a driving offence.

Official team of the tournament:

-------------------Donnarumma-------------

Walker---------Bonucci-------Maguire----Spinnazzola

-----------Jorginho-----Hojbjerg----Pedri--------

---------Chiesa--------Lukaku------Sterling------

I'd have Forsberg in one of the midfield spots but otherwise that's about right I think.

Maehle unfortunate that Spinnazzola was so good.

Got to say Pickworth surprised and impressed me... one goal you could have said he should have done better and couple of kicking ricks, but apart from that thought he was as good as Donna

Pickford did perform well during the tournament to be fair , tends to punch balls more than he should I sometimes think when a catch is on . He gets down well to low shots most of the time and his lack of height doesn't really catch him out that much as you might suspect it would .
However I find his constant pointing and roaring at his own team mates very annoying . Whenever he makes a big save he's always at it . It smacks of playing to the crowd far too much for my liking .

Back