• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton (A) 26/8: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Already got the feel of a match we can't afford to lose. But we also can't set up to play for a low scoring draw because we're no good at that.

One more chance for the Kilman/Dawson pairing but both have to do much much better. Sa will play but I wouldn't shed any tears if we did decide to drop him.

Slight tweak of shape with Matheus banned (idiot) and Hwang probably deserves a start anyway.

I'm pretty sure Sasa isn't ready to start games yet which is a shame, I'd pick him otherwise.

-----------------------------------Sa-----------------------------

Semedo-------------Dawson----------Kilman----------Bueno

-------------------Lemina----------J Gomes--------------------

-----------Hwang------------Cunha----------Neto-------------------

-------------------------------Silva-----------------------------------------

2022/23: D 1-1 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2021/22: W 2-1 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2020/21: L 1-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2019/20: W 3-0 (H), L 2-3 (A)
2018/19: D 2-2 (H), W 3-1 (A)
2011/12: D 0-0 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2010/11: L 0-3 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2009/10: D 0-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2003/4: W 2-1 (H), L 0-2 (A)

----------------------------------Sa-----------------------------

Semedo-------------Dawson----------Kilman----------Bueno

-----------Lemina----------Traore----------Gomes----------

-----------Sarabia----------Cunha----------Neto-------------------

Hwang, Sasa, Silva, Griffiths, RAN, Toti, Bentley, Doherty.

Johnny’s team for me. Silva was poor yesterday, if Sasa is not ready we may as well bring in Traore.

Interesting to see how we line up. 1 enforced change, a number who would count themselves very lucky to be picked after yesterday and an opponent who plays a very different style.

O'Neil's first big decision instead of the relatively straight forward selections in the last 2 games.

Everton currently 2-0 down already as i type this and my thinking so far has been "We've got to beat these!". They have looked rancid so far.

Not entirely sure what Sarabia brings or what he is - seems tidy enough but not sure he’s got a goal in him, nor much engine.

And I’ve no idea how it’s feasible but I think Nunes needs to play centrally. He’s too in and out wide and when he (inevitably) gives it away, seems to keep leaving us exposed.

I like the teams above (DWs and Jonnys) but can’t see goals anywhere.

I think we desperately need a couple of new faces before next weekend.

I’d take any sort of goalscorer to be honest - any sort of Antonio, Puuki, Ings - just someone that can actually finish at this level.

They don’t actually need to do much else in this side - we have plenty of legs, to be honest.

Although I was pleased to see a ‘genuine’ striker picked yesterday I’d be dropping Silva and going with Johnny’s team. I thought he was really poor yesterday. Unfortunately I just don’t see it with him and that’s probably enough for me - we won’t of course, but I’d be happy to see him go and replaced. I see nothing that makes me think he’s going to be a reliable scorer. His first half was almost a complete antithesis to everything Raul was when he was in form: gave it away when he could have held it up, wasted energy and never looked like he wanted his one on one. Please get match fit soon Sasa.

I’m worried we are managing things to the point where Doherty and Hwang are logical first XI picks :( Not yet though.

It seems stupid to label this a a must win game so early in the season but it feels like it is, for confidence reasons if nothing else.
DWs team with Sasa to make an appearance second half.

Not entirely sure what Sarabia brings or what he is - seems tidy enough but not sure he’s got a goal in him, nor much engine.

Engine wise I think he chases and presses well

Goal/what is he wise I agree but it's the same old story as with most our attackers isn't it? He does like a pea roller shot though

I'd be going with DWs team for this game. Hindsight maybe suggests we should have stuck for the Brighton game.

We're not at the stage of relegation six pointers yet but this game really is quite big. Fail to win this and the next time I think we can reasonably target a win is Luton away in a month's time.

Everton are very poor; both of us are useless up top, our midfield is better and both defences are rubbish although they will shield their backline more than we will. Game will be pretty tight. If we're lucky Calvert-Lewin is injured next week. Big game for Sa, I wouldn't feel confident with either him or Bentley starting considering the set pieces we will face. Wonder if O'Neil might bring in Doherty for his perceived aerial ability.

Dyche has only lost to us once I think? The 1-0 in 18/19, we really do tend to struggle against his sides.

Percy says Everton are closing in on £15m deal for Che Adams. Probably make his debut against us and score!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back