• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-player/manager you most despise

Both really Paul, although to be honest through no fault of his own more the managers that picked him in the main. First time for playing instead of Stowell (see Favourite's thread) second for playing instead of Oakes and destroying the team spirit and any faint hope we had of staying up...I know that was really Dave Jones' fault. Finally for doing the Ayatollah to Cardiff fans. Yes, he was Wales' keeper and so have no problem with him clapping them for their support, but his 'salute' to them was a club not National thing. It pissed me off way more than something like Leon shushing the South Bank

Look at the fucking state of his haircut in this! Gobshite

http://web.archive.org/web/20061013...co.uk/2006/10/07/jones-in-nightmare-landmark/

Anyone who puts Ward and Henry on a list has a very selective memory. Ward is not the greatest player to wear a Wolves shirt but this was a kid we plucked out of the League of Ireland as a forward and turned hum into an international left back who played in the Premier League. He was a real success story and one we should be proud of. He was probably at the club a little bit too long.

Very much remember the good times and these players epitomised what for a supporter were rewarding memorable times. The goal at Liverpool wont be forgotten and I thought Karl was undeserving of the criticism. What severely tainted me was the capitulation that lead to L1. Two senior players who should and I believe could have done more but appeared IMO far too wrapped up in themselves to spare a thought for the thousands who watched in disbelief as the situation progressively got worse. That relegation was unforgivable and inexcusable.

I think despise is the wrong word to use. Though there are a few people I wish had not been connected with our wonderful football club.

Top of the pile by a country mile are the Bhatti Brothers. Others I would have preferred not to have been at Molineux are:

Tommy Docherty
Alan Boswell
Sammy Chapman
Steve Stoutt
Joe Gallagher
Steve Claridge

How come Steve Stoutt, Frank?

David Barnes I could understand from that era, but I can't remember much ill will towards Stoutt.

How come Steve Stoutt, Frank?

David Barnes I could understand from that era, but I can't remember much ill will towards Stoutt.

No ill will towards him, he was just a very poor player. And to stand out as a poor player in a very poor team took some doing. Though you make a fair point about David Barnes, I had forgotten about his dazzling displays...!

Dean Saunders
David Davis
Roger Johnson
Jamie O'Hard
Greg Halford

I always thought Stoutt was steady, he never pulled up any trees, but I can name numerous individuals who stole a wage from the club during that era.

I mention Barnes as there was a lot of anger directed at him for choosing to sign for Aldershot after they beat us in the play-off final.

I always thought Stoutt was steady, he never pulled up any trees, but I can name numerous individuals who stole a wage from the club during that era.

I mention Barnes as there was a lot of anger directed at him for choosing to sign for Aldershot after they beat us in the play-off final.

Some of the players from the dark days:

Barnes
Barrett
Chapman
Coady
Edwards D
Edwards N
Herbert
Rayners
Rosario
Stoutt
Wassall
Whitehead

Deutsch would have had a breakdown if he had seen some of them performing...

I think despise is the wrong word to use. Though there are a few people I wish had not been connected with our wonderful football club.

Top of the pile by a country mile are the Bhatti Brothers. Others I would have preferred not to have been at Molineux are:

Tommy Docherty
Alan Boswell
Sammy Chapman
Steve Stoutt
Joe Gallagher
Steve Claridge

Steve Stoutt is a strange shout, didn't he win one of our player of the season awards in 86/87?

Sammy Chapman did an admirable job at an horrendous time in all fairness and if I remember rightly didn't he bring Neil Edwards, Andy Mutch and Micky Holmes to the club?

My 5 would be :

The Bhatti's
Cedric Rousell
Paul Jones
John Paskin
Ray Hankin

Fair enough I have been outvoted on Steve Stoutt. I thought he was next to useless, but others think more of him than I do.

Some of the players from the dark days:

Barnes
Barrett
Chapman
Coady
Edwards D
Edwards N
Herbert
Rayners
Rosario
Stoutt
Wassall
Whitehead

Deutsch would have had a breakdown if he had seen some of them performing...
A lot of those were local non league standard players who were signed because we didn't have anyone else. Many were shit, but shouldn't ever have been close to playing the level of football they were. Before he got injured Neil Edwards was quite decent and our leading scorer, also had the moustache of a 15 year old schoolboy which is something I can relate to!

I've only been around since about 2008 but:

Saunders
Roger the Relegator
O'Hara
Eggert Jonsson (that's right, you didn't think you'd ever see that name again)

A lot of those were local non league standard players who were signed because we didn't have anyone else. Many were shit, but shouldn't ever have been close to playing the level of football they were. Before he got injured Neil Edwards was quite decent and our leading scorer, also had the moustache of a 15 year old schoolboy which is something I can relate to!

I can understand Dean Edwards being on the list. Left and went to play for Exeter and won a dubious penalty against us in a fixture at Exeter. The penalty was missed, they may have got another one (it was about 1987 and its all a bit blurry now), Wolves had a man sent off but still managed to win 3-1 I think . Bull scored and I think that Rob Kelly was also on the scoresheet.

Didn't Dean Edwards score the goal that knocked us out of the Sherpa Van in the regional final in '89 with able assistance from Roger Hansbury?

Eggert Jonsson (that's right, you didn't think you'd ever see that name again)

Currently with Fleetwood Town. Such a strange signing. I have no idea what we were thinking with that one.

Him and Frank Nouble (inside six months of each other) were just incomprehensible. Anyone who had seen Nouble in any of his billion loan spells could have told the club he had the grace of a water buffalo and the skill of a bollard. Awful footballer.

Holt and Bent for instance, were obviously awful signings and that much was clear before they kicked a ball for us, but at least they were ok once. Frank Nouble was never even close to ok.

Although we never actually signed him, we had Mark Fotheringham on trial about that time as well. I saw him about a year later playing alongside Kenny Deuchar & Maurice Ross at Livi.

Back