• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 3rd Rnd Replay] Wolves 3-2 (AET) Brentford: Verdict Thread

I don't think you can judge too much of a players performance from 3 mins, but Doherty's effort, not once, but twice on the first goal wasn't great. A bit unlucky with the second. Fraser took his goal like a natural finisher, I agree with others that have said I'd rather keep him around than add a body of the Adams/Ings mould.

Yeah given the position we are in the table/points on the board it would make sense to keep him around.

I do think he needs a solid run of games in men’s football though because he is just potential at this point.

I don't think you can judge too much of a players performance from 3 mins, but Doherty's effort, not once, but twice on the first goal wasn't great. A bit unlucky with the second. Fraser took his goal like a natural finisher, I agree with others that have said I'd rather keep him around than add a body of the Adams/Ings mould.
I was worried i was reading too much into the highlights, but what i like about fraser is that he takes his time and just focuses on what he's going to do. You could see in the way he took his goal and the chance that got blocked that he didn't rush things or seem panicked about what he was doing. Suggests he's got composure.

The way he drifted off Collins for the first was really good.

I was worried i was reading too much into the highlights, but what i like about fraser is that he takes his time and just focuses on what he's going to do. You could see in the way he took his goal and the chance that got blocked that he didn't rush things or seem panicked about what he was doing. Suggests he's got composure.

The way he drifted off Collins for the first was really good.
You and I have seen enough of him at U21 level (when he was 17) to know he's a good player and finisher. But this is a step up and he looks like he's taking to it well.

I'm really pleased for him and hope it continues.

You and I have seen enough of him at U21 level (when he was 17) to know he's a good player and finisher. But this is a step up and he looks like he's taking to it well.

I'm really pleased for him and hope it continues.
He's certainly not a wallflower, Brentford had the stock Frank set up of three Pulis style units at the back (not that Collins uses his height or supposed strength, but that's by the by) and he gave them a fair game physically.

Got plenty to learn but the rest of this season (won't go down, very unlikely to make Europe through the league, team playing well and scoring plenty) seems to me to be the right environment to do just that.

I don’t think Adams and Ings are out of the same mould. Adams works really hard and would fit quite well into the way we play. Ings was a great finisher, more in the Danial Sturridge style - there’s not much more to his game, especially now he’s getting towards the end of his career. I’d take Adams as cover if it allowed Fraser to go and get regular games on loan at a decent level. If Fraser stays around I can see his game time being very limited unless we get a couple of bad injuries which will do him no good at all in the long run. Obviously better than Adams would be nice but he may well be our best option this window.

I don’t think Adams and Ings are out of the same mould. Adams works really hard and would fit quite well into the way we play. Ings was a great finisher, more in the Danial Sturridge style - there’s not much more to his game, especially now he’s getting towards the end of his career. I’d take Adams as cover if it allowed Fraser to go and get regular games on loan at a decent level. If Fraser stays around I can see his game time being very limited unless we get a couple of bad injuries which will do him no good at all in the long run. Obviously better than Adams would be nice but he may well be our best option this window.
I don't see Adams happening, Southampton are gunning for top two in the Championship and he's playing regularly for them (not scoring many, mind), they're not desperate for money as they sold plenty in the summer, we'd only offer relative pennies as his PL record isn't very good and he's out of contract in five months, and he's better off waiting it out and sorting out a move as a free agent.

A quick word for the absolute tossers at the top of S2 who think they're Wolverhampton's answer to a Barra Brava. Chanting 'Our support is fucking shit' and 'Is this a library'... just fuck off lads.

Also known for such Wolves classics as 'South Bank, full of shit', 'Europa League and you still don't sing', 'Elton John is a Paedophile' and every other tragedy chant going. I used to stand on the same row as some of them and they drove me up the wall all through Nuno's era, I haven't heard a peep from them all season from my new spot in S1 but for some reason they chose last night to play the cunt. Can't think why.

I don't see Adams happening, Southampton are gunning for top two in the Championship and he's playing regularly for them (not scoring many, mind), they're not desperate for money as they sold plenty in the summer, we'd only offer relative pennies as his PL record isn't very good and he's out of contract in five months, and he's better off waiting it out and sorting out a move as a free agent.
I think you’re probably correct but my main point was Adams and Ings are very different players, and one fits our style and one doesn’t.

Speaking of strikers and going back to the Cunha love, I've really, really warmed to him this season. I'm sure I read he now has 11 goal contributions in his last 10 games.

I had my doubts when he signed and he never particularly set the world alight under Lopetegui - looked like another "we've got him and don't know how to use him" signing, but he's absolute top quality. Seems a really likeable bloke too who loves being here.

Did not see the game, there was no TV Coverage....

Saw the highlights, Hodge did well for the Semedo goal.
Doc was shit for both there goals, but the 1st in particular was awful

Speaking of strikers and going back to the Cunha love, I've really, really warmed to him this season. I'm sure I read he now has 11 goal contributions in his last 10 games.

I had my doubts when he signed and he never particularly set the world alight under Lopetegui - looked like another "we've got him and don't know how to use him" signing, but he's absolute top quality. Seems a really likeable bloke too who loves being here.
He's really hard to pick up with how Gaz uses him. Centre halves don't like following him deep (especially if Hwang/Neto are also playing as suddenly you're leaving space in behind for them to run into) but if you don't then he's unlocking his strength of running directly at defenders. Not really within the realm of midfielders to look after him either.

Expensive, but a very very good player.

He's fucking brilliant. Top, top player. I'm anticipating some kind of interest in him over the summer, hopefully we can keep hold of him for another season or two.

Couldn’t agree with both of you more. He’s as important to this team and its success as Jimenez was to Nuno I think. Not sure if he’ll ever be a “free scoring” striker (not that Jimenez ever racked up a tonne, or anything) but the qualities he brings would be really difficult to find now - even if we stumped up another £45m for someone else.

He works bloody hard too.

He's fucking brilliant. Top, top player. I'm anticipating some kind of interest in him over the summer, hopefully we can keep hold of him for another season or two.

I think we'll probably keep him for another year at least. I might just not be in the same footballing circles/algorithms as some of you but he doesn't seem to be a player of ours that opposing managers and fans pick up on. It's usually Neto.

I think we'll probably keep him for another year at least. I might just not be in the same footballing circles/algorithms as some of you but he doesn't seem to be a player of ours that opposing managers and fans pick up on. It's usually Neto.
They will. He's scoring goals and making assists now which he wasn't last season.

GO really has got the best out of him. He looked ok last season but nowhere near a £40m+ player. Now we could reasonably expect to sell him for an a fair bit more than we paid if his form continues as it has been recently.

Cunha is one of those that clubs will baulk at what we'd ask for him because of what we paid for him.

I don't see him being another Nunes who we'd have to flip because he starts acting the dick.

He came in mid season and never seemed up to speed with the both the pace of the Premier League and his fitness. Was it Villa last season where he beat a man to set go free in their half but was blowing out of his arse before getting to their area? This season he's beating men and leaving them for dust afterwards.

Back