• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 3rd Rnd Replay] Wolves 3-2 (AET) Brentford: Verdict Thread

Slightly disappointed than Joao Gomes won't get to play against Albion - I reckon he could bring the fight to a derby.

Not much else to say about last night - Doc is finished, he may not have been as bad as Hodge (not sure I'll ever see as 'nothing' performance as that ever again) but he has no pace, no ability to get back, no defensive capability - literally only brings the ability to be tall and occasionally bumble his way through players

he may not have been as bad as Hodge (not sure I'll ever see as 'nothing' performance as that ever again)
Bizarrely, I have seen plenty of people on Twitter saying how well they thought Hodge played!

I try to be mindful of my gold-tinted specs as a caveat for the following but, in the absence of any replays to prove me wrong, thought it looked like a pretty likely penalty for us in the second half when Neto (I think??) got pulled down in the box. Suspect it was only clear to those with a side on view down at pitch level - though I think the linesman normally has that. Anyone else get a good look? Can't complain as it seemed like the pen we did get was on the soft side.

I try to be mindful of my gold-tinted specs as a caveat for the following but, in the absence of any replays to prove me wrong, thought it looked like a pretty likely penalty for us in the second half when Neto (I think??) got pulled down in the box. Suspect it was only clear to those with a side on view down at pitch level - though I think the linesman normally has that. Anyone else get a good look? Can't complain as it seemed like the pen we did get was on the soft side.
What time did you get home?

Bizarrely, I have seen plenty of people on Twitter saying how well they thought Hodge played!
Sorry for him but no one with the most basic grasp of the game can have watched that and thought he should ever play for a top flight club again. I'd be pretty certain that those who see something in him would also be the guys most incandescent if a midfield featuring him got bullied around by a Championship club in the next round, something that 100% would happen as he's not at that level, let alone ours.

I do like the little stat that Brentford were ahead 3 times in this tie and played 80 odd mins with a man advantage....and still lost.

That's pretty good. Especially as Brentford support was pitiful presumably?

Highlights? You haven't missed much. A five goal thriller this was not. We were the better team but both sides were flat. We probably deserved to win but Brentford had enough chances too.

Playing Doherty over H Bueno wasn't the right call, if Doc has to play then it is on the right - I hope it was because they are looking after Beuno for the league game.

The rest of the defence was fine, until it wasn't for the goals. Santi looks like he has got to grips with the game over here. An unfussy defender and he didn't look like a mistake waiting to happen. Kilman had a decent game too.

Up front we were OK but guilty of overplaying at times. Doyle did well, Brentford put him under no pressure though. He is calm on the ball and we know he has a decent pass on him. I hope we keep him.

Joe Hodge is a nothing footballer. He will have a career somewhere but it won't be here. The club obviously see something in him but I don't. He is the sort of player who doesn't stir up any emotion at all...he is just there.

Definitely a game to forget.

Got to be honest that's the last thing I expected to read this morning, I think it was something like 21 shots Vs 16. There were flat periods which you'd expect in a game lasting 120 minutes but the rest of it was an end to end free for all, both teams ended up in a big formationless mess at one point, just taking turns to attack each other. Goal for an 18 year old homegrown player, penalty, a few world class saves, good atmosphere, VAR checks, fights, penalty appeals, terrible misses, some sublime football and some absolute shite from both teams. It wasn't one for the purists but I certainly wouldn't describe it as forgettable.

Got to be honest that's the last thing I expected to read this morning, I think it was something like 21 shots Vs 16. There were flat periods which you'd expect in a game lasting 120 minutes but the rest of it was an end to end free for all, both teams ended up in a big formationless mess at one point, just taking turns to attack each other. Goal for an 18 year old homegrown player, penalty, a few world class saves, good atmosphere, VAR checks, fights, penalty appeals, terrible misses, some sublime football and some absolute shite from both teams. It wasn't one for the purists but I certainly wouldn't describe it as forgettable.
Forget what?

That's pretty good. Especially as Brentford support was pitiful presumably?
There was one or two Albion fans on Twitter posting pictures of empty seats trying to take the mick out of our attendance. We had 24k on a freezing Tuesday night. They played last Sunday afternoon when it was nice and mild - 16k attendance 😂

Surely the BBC had cameras for their highlights programs. Though I can't even see any scheduled.

Surely the BBC had cameras for their highlights programs. Though I can't even see any scheduled.
They'd have used the pool ones. If they weren’t working then they won't have anything. There's nothing on Wolves socials yet, so assume they don't exist unless they can pull.something together from the VAR feed

There was one or two Albion fans on Twitter posting pictures of empty seats trying to take the mick out of our attendance. We had 24k on a freezing Tuesday night. They played last Sunday afternoon when it was nice and mild - 16k attendance 😂
They still use that pic of the North Bank when we played Oldham in the cup (?) as some form of diss too, the absolute weapons.

Back