• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 3rd Rnd] Brentford 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I think cup replays areing down away with altogether from next season because of the restructured Champions League or something like that.

I may be misremembering the detail though.
It was being discussed as part of a revamp and the PL want them gone. They have now asked again as teams, such as ourselves are losing their winter break due to replays.

I'd rather the two teams decide whether or not to play the tie to completion on the day - 90 mins plus penalties. Or to agree to a replay in the event of a draw.

That way the smaller clubs potentially get their replay, and the Prem/Champ clubs can just say nah if they are playing each other.

Basically if both agree, no replay and get it done on the day. If a Prem team doesn't want a replay against a lower league club, then make sure you pick a team to beat them on the day.

I'd rather the two teams decide whether or not to play the tie to completion on the day - 90 mins plus penalties. Or to agree to a replay in the event of a draw.

That way the smaller clubs potentially get their replay, and the Prem/Champ clubs can just say nah if they are playing each other.

Basically if both agree, no replay and get it done on the day. If a Prem team doesn't want a replay against a lower league club, then make sure you pick a team to beat them on the day.
Heard this bandied about on a few podcasts of late. Haven't been able to conclude my thinking but instinctively it just doesn't seem right that teams could end up with different workloads on the say-so of another team. Potential for some underhand activity? I mean, I know us Brits don't stoop so low, but...

Heard this bandied about on a few podcasts of late. Haven't been able to conclude my thinking but instinctively it just doesn't seem right that teams could end up with different workloads on the say-so of another team. Potential for some underhand activity? I mean, I know us Brits don't stoop so low, but...
It's totally up to the two teams involved.

I can't see bigger teams paying off smaller teams just to avoid one more game.

Yeah but then say you've got Brentford v Wolves who decide on a one leg game, then West Ham v Colchester goes to a replay, then West Ham v Wolves the next league game with different rest periods, despite both drawing in the FA Cup.

Just sounds a bit weird for the contestants to be making up the rules. "Tell you what Rafa, I can't be arsed with 5 sets of this, not given how long you take to hit the frickin thing, and I bet you can't either - best of 3 today?"

"The managers have decided that extra time will be played without goalkeepers."

Lets go back to how it was I say....bin pen shoot outs and have replay after replay until 1 team gives up out of boredom
Yeah! Otherwise we'd never have had over 200,000 people watch two non-league sides play 3 times for the Amateur Cup. In your face Bishop Auckland!

Did we appeal the Gomes red card does anyone know ?

Would have been known by now if we had. GO seemed to accept it could be classed as a Red Card and I don't think you can use "well you didn't punish this challenge" as a defence

Even though I don't think it's a red, it's not in DCL ludicrous category. It wouldn't have been overturned

Indeed. These pussies are already down to 38 games from 42.
Villa had 9 games to win the European Cup, now you have 13. Similar principle for all other European competitions and that's without taking into account the pace and fitness required today. Not wanting a debate about whether the game is better now or then. It is different though and so need to be the comparisons.

Replay not on TV. BBC went with West Ham and ITV went with Forest.

Scrap replays for games between teams in the same division…

Fair enough on the selections I think.

When do they have to pick the 4th round games? I know in the past they have had to do them before the replays and gambled on a big team getting through to avoid having a L1 v L2 live on TV (why should we suffer such shit football)

Back