• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup Quarter-Final] Wolves 2-3 Coventry: Verdict Thread

Not exactly what you’d hope for from a club with the sixth highest season ticket prices.
But exactly what you would expect from a club with such a messed up transfer strategy (wrong word) over the previous seasons. So messed up they had to do a hard reset and gamble on our PL future and protect themselves from points deductions.

We left room to spend in January but again decided to double down on the hard reset because the gamble paid off.

What the hard reset means for the future is now down to your own opinion on where you think Fosun/Jeff are with us.
Will we stick to Plan A (not properly used to date since Fosun announced it) and see 1 or 2 leave to fund 5 or 6 in.
More sold and less in
Jeff craves to be power hungry again and spots a player, def worth £200m to us if we spend £50m now and fuck the rest of the squad.

All part of the fun and games with added PSR ensuring breaking away from the bottom half of the Prem on a regular basis will get harder and harder.

I don’t think many think Simms was the answer to our needs in January but the fact that he’s levels above Fraser demonstrates perfectly how bad our recruitment has been. Hwang has a long record of niggly injuries, Neto was already out with a hamstring so we put nearly all our chips on Cunha staying fit and lost. Not exactly what you’d hope for from a club with the sixth highest season ticket prices.
Yep so was David McGoldrick last year. You can't just sign sub standard players to cover injuries, they are still sub standard. We are back to last year's we should have signed, insert shite player, because their level of shite* is above what we have. That's not how we should be recruiting, the same people would have complained if we had signed them because they are indeed shite. Look at Broja very few people would have signed him, even moreso when the terms of the deal Fulham agreed to were known and yesterday after not starting one game for them and playing a total of 48 minutes lost his place on the bench to Raul, a player most one here, me included were happy to move on from. He'd have started yesterday and probably been better than Fraser, does that mean we should have signed him? Imo no it was a crap deal, for a crap player.

I agree with everyone's analysis of the problem, just don't agree with where some see the solution.

*shite being relative

Last edited:
Yep so was David McGoldrick last year. You can't just sign sub standard players to cover injuries, they are still sub standard. We are back to last year's we should have signed, insert shite player, because their level of shite* is above what we have. That's not how we should be recruiting, the same people would have complained if we had signed them because they are indeed shite. Look at Broja very few people would have signed him, even moreso when the terms of the deal Fulham agreed to were known and yesterday after not starting one game for them and playing a total of 48 minutes lost his place on the bench to Raul, a player most one here, me included were happy to move on from. He'd have started yesterday and probably been better than Fraser, does that mean we should have signed him? Imo no it was a crap deal, for a crap player.

I agree with everyone's analysis of the problem, just don't agree with where some see the solution.

*shite being relative
I guess I depends where the standard is whether a player is sub standard or not. Fraser was lined up for a loan to Shrewsbury which probably is a fair indication of his standard. We gambled on two injury prone players not getting injured and hoped if they did that Cunha could carry us.

I guess I depends where the standard is whether a player is sub standard or not. Fraser was lined up for a loan to Shrewsbury which probably is a fair indication of his standard. We gambled on two injury prone players not getting injured and hoped if they did that Cunha could carry us.
I don't think we meaning Fosun gambled on anything. I doubt they'd have bought anyone even given a script as to how the rest of the season would play out. We will finish 17th or above irrespective, that's all that bothers them and what the business plan is set to achieve. Meanwhile PTS and LL will put out lines like having to pay Jonny off meant we couldn't sign anyone and a fair proportion the fan base will swallow it. We'll sell our best players, we'll reinvest most of it, some of them will work, some of them won't, we'll be a bottom half PL team until we get relegated which will be in the year that recruitment strategy fails.

Last edited:
Wouldn't even say January was the gamble.

Gamble was in the summer and it paid out. Our predictions this season were finish 17th and probably get knocked out of the Cups at the start.

We made a decision to put our wallet away knowing that we have achieved the goals. Ace from a budget point of view but not so ace from a fan paying a shit load to watch it or a manager who would like to have some weeks where he doesn't need to pick a 15 year old to cover a spot on the bench or be a bit more successful than "you finished out of the bottom.3, Job done" point of view

Plenty of indirect blaming of the squad size from GON in his interview, without coming outright and saying it.

Of all the youngsters are the ones we'd recently bought in Lemina Jr and Enzo not available to throw on the bench? Did someone say Enzo was injured?

Enzo is injured.
Lemina Jr is getting a spot on the bench but clearly not deemed ready to play any minutes.

I would have like to have seen Holman yesterday. At least he has some experience of being up against big CB's at non league level.

if Fosun were happy to settle for 17th then that’s up to them, no matter how frustrating it is. It’s their money and we don’t have to demand that they keep spending it.

Just don’t charge high end Premier League prices for the privilege or keep rolling out bullshit excuses about why they can’t spend any more.

Or, even better, don’t waste millions of pounds of the transfer budget in the first place on players like Silva and Guedes.

Put it this way yesterday would’ve hurt fans far more than it did the board.
End of the day they’ve booted the can down the road for another season and that’s their priority.
The way the PL is now the super 6 get everyone else to scout the best players let them prove themselves in PL then just pick them off from the smaller clubs.

Our captain. He throws himself at it then it probably still goes around him, but not a good look. Screenshot_20240317_095548_X.jpg

if Fosun were happy to settle for 17th then that’s up to them, no matter how frustrating it is. It’s their money and we don’t have to demand that they keep spending it.

Just don’t charge high end Premier League prices for the privilege or keep rolling out bullshit excuses about why they can’t spend any more.

Or, even better, don’t waste millions of pounds of the transfer budget in the first place on players like Silva and Guedes.
To be fair they are fixing the last part of your request.

Pricing well that won't change or come down sadly. Already clubs putting prices up and you know we love a good pointless comparison to justify things.
A few clubs already using the line about how the costs to put on a game have increased and we will do the same.

I don't think we meaning Fosun gambled on anything. I doubt they'd have bought anyone even given a script as to how the rest of the season would play out. We will finish 17th or above irrespective, that's all that bothers them and what the business plan is set to achieve. Meanwhile PTS and LL will put out lines like having to pay Jonny off meant we couldn't sign anyone and a fair proportion the fan base will swallow it. We'll sell our best players, we'll reinvest most of it, some of them will work, some of them won't, we'll be a bottom half PL team until we get relegated which will be in the year that recruitment strategy fails.
Which is why I am so fucked off with Fosum (have been for 4 years now) - their so-called strategy will ultimately lead to relegation, whether it be next season or in 5 years time - it is simply not going to end well.
Put it this way yesterday would’ve hurt fans far more than it did the board.
End of the day they’ve booted the can down the road for another season and that’s their priority.
The way the PL is now the super 6 get everyone else to scout the best players let them prove themselves in PL then just pick them off from the smaller clubs.
Yup this is how football across all the major European leagues has now evolved into and why a European Super League will be inevitable in the next 10 years despite the clusterfuck of what happened a couple of years ago.

It'll be interesting to see how long Wolves take to reduce the discount that seniors and kid's tickets get.

Villa and Spurs are already at it, we won't be far behind.

On tickets prices...have we replaced Vinny or has Jeff given himself the job to cover sacking himself as our Sporting Director?

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s pathetic. Should be getting a ban for that.

Making a big thing out of that was an O'Neil distraction tactic imo.
Robins had talked about it first.

GO was then asked and said it was twattish but had spoke to him and happy he had recognised it was a twattish thing to do.

It was a short part of his presser but the main thing the media have ran with. Far from a distraction tactic for me.

Back