• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Help Needed - How to get rid of Mick McCarthy

DoobITFC

Reaction score
Some of you will have seen Ipswich's dismal defeat to Lincoln.
We've been watching this type of football for years and the majority of Ipswich fans have had enough.

So what did you do to get rid of McCarthy?
And why did you collapse completely once he left your club?

TBH we didn't really need to do a lot. Losing 5-1 at home to the shit was pretty much certain to be the death knell.

We collapsed afterward because we had no plan. Curbishley was supposed to be coming but then changed his mind so we had no replacement and were doomed to relegation. What happened afterwards had nothing to do with Mick at all. Subsequent appointments were risky (Solbakken) and frankly utterly fucking gormless (that buffoon Saunders).

However, be concerned that if Mick has built up "his team" and his type of players, if they are anything like ours, they aren't receptive to new ideas and dressing room splits can easily follow.

Be careful what you wish for in binning off Mick.

Losing 5-1 at home to your fiercest rivals will do the trick.

I'm still fond of Mick though. One of the only managers I have been genuinely sad to see leave the club.

Losing 5-1 at home to your fiercest rivals will do the trick.

I'm still fond of Mick though. One of the only managers I have been genuinely sad to see leave the club.

Agree with that. Top bloke. Someone on Twitter this morning re-posted the video of Mick & Big George Elokobi after we stayed up in the Prem, when Mick referred to Elokobi as his "body double" :icon_lol:

Fond memories of Mick being in charge. Probably my favourite Wolves manager, certainly in my lifetime.

That's not to say that the football can become a bit stagnated after a while. Similar to his time at Wolves, I'd say his time at Ipswich is up.

I'd never criticise another set of fans for wanting to get rid of a manager, you have to go to the games and watch what's on offer regularly to be able to form a true opinion, but from the outside looking in, Lincoln aside, Ipswich are about where you'd expect given the budget and the players available. Like Wolves no danger of going down nor making the the play offs. I would imagine the football isn't great though and sometimes something different is required just to freshen things up for the fans even though the results may stay similar.

My tip would be if you do bin him off, make sure he takes Terry and his clipboard with him.

Easily my favourite manager. A top bloke and a good championship manager who probably needs to move on now.

Sacking him wasn't a mistake (as sad a day as it was). Our decline was more to do with subsequent mistakes by the board and the incompetence of McCarthy's successors. But his time here was definitely up.

I'll always wish Mick well and if he does lose his current job I hope he's back in the game soon.

I don't think you could find a better manager for getting you out of the champ, since he hasn't done it with Ipswich it probably says more about the level of investment into the club. Careful what you wish for.

I'd echo Langers and Jinky in saying that Mick was my favourite Wolves manager.

Very 1 dimensional style of play but definitely one of the best managers for the Championship. His press conferences still make me laugh.

His time is up at Ipswich just as it was at Wolves, but he'll always find work because he's a good manger as well as a down to earth likeable guy.

He was never that interested in the cups, so I wasn't surprised at the Lincoln result. He's still good entertainment when I see him on Look East. I'd be sad to see him go

Presumably if they sack Mick then his assistant would take over....

terry-connor-008.jpg

Be careful what you wish for.

See Mick did a great job to start with but it was clear once we were in the Premier League that he was never going to push us on as tactically he's not good enough and his signings were pretty poor overall imo. I never really liked him that much as Wolves manager although generally i think he's comes across pretty well but he's not moved forward with the times and so his football is still the same and unfortunately that is some way behind what is required. Not sure Ipswich have what it takes financially to improve the squad as they need to but he's signed and continues to play absolute dross like Douglas which doesn't help.

If you get rid and replace him with a manager you will be fine but replace him with his not very good assistant and you will suffer. The reason we fell apart was because it was his squad that worked hard for him but ultimately wasn't good enough and no matter how you look at it yes he took us up but by the end of it we weren't in the best place with the players we had and the morale in the dressing room.

Presumably if they sack Mick then his assistant would take over....

terry-connor-008.jpg

Be careful what you wish for.
He did get a draw away at Newcastle i remember, was it 2-2? Were in Peru watching it..

He did get a draw away at Newcastle i remember, was it 2-2? Were in Peru watching it..
He did and then backed it up with classics such as being dicked away at Fulham.

He did and then backed it up with classics such as being dicked away at Fulham.
Shit, that Fulham game.. Was a big loss i think? 5 or 6 conceded?

The most successful Wolves manager since the 1980s but it should be remembered that his championship winning team wasn't put together on the cheap. True, there were some bargains but he spent a fair bit on new players when Morgan took over and he hasn't had that at Ipswich.

Absolutely loved his first four seasons but then it started to go downhill a bit. I will never understand the hatred of him by some sections of our support.

0-5 at Fulham is very much up there with the worst Wolves performances I've ever seen.

I can never be horrible to Mick because he brought us so many good times. Don't ever underestimate the scale of the job that Hoddle had left him with. No money and no squad - we made the playoffs on a budget of about what Frankowski cost us. We did play some good football at times too, he's no hoofball merchant.

He does very much go through stages where the football is dross, the results don't justify it and he won't budge. I'm not sure Ipswich have the squad to turn it around as Marcus Evans is a rubbish owner and he's let it go stagnant for years.

I think he has another promotion in him, but not in Suffolk. Had we continued with the Morgan downsizing then I'd definitely have taken Mick back to replace Ken.

I never really bought into his whole 'honest Mick' shtick and rarely found him to be particularly witty, just belligerent and not that bright.

Have hugely mixed feelings about his time here. I loved his first season (exceeding expectations, such a contrast to the apathy of the Hoddle era), loathed his second season and then the following season (promotion year) was probably the most enjoyable experience in my time as a Wolves fan - we went up playing some really exciting football, largely thanks to a very effective front four plus David Jones in midfield pulling the strings. It was great to watch, but never sustainable once we got promoted due to the fact premier league games are generally won and lost in central midfield, not through old fashioned wing play, target man and centre forward. Mick has never really paid much attention to the central midfield throughout his managerial career.

The three premier league seasons highlighted the key problems I have with him:

- Struggles to manage flair players / difficult personalities
- Always therefore sticks with 'yes men' - always hard working but often lacking in technical ability (hence why he usually does well in the attritional league that is the championship)
- Lack of technical ability in the team means playing with a siege mentality ("every point's a prisoner" - eurrgh)
- Tactically very rigid and proud of it: the more criticism he gets, the more belligerent he becomes and the worse the quality of football seems to get too (see his second season with us).

The "all graft and no craft" tag stuck throughout his tenure. Whilst it was great to see Wolves out-muscle other teams (never seen before during my time watching Wolves, which began in 1989), the inability or unwillingness to add some better quality footballers to that was really frustrating.

I've always thought Mick McCarthy's favourite time in a game must be being one goal ahead, five minutes left, backs-to-the-wall defending, blood and thunder, winning headers, kicking the ball back to the other team for them to try another time and then loads of self congratulation when we scrape through without conceding. He revels in that kind of game and pretty much sums up his approach to football in my view.

I've always thought Mick McCarthy's favourite time in a game must be being one goal ahead, five minutes left, backs-to-the-wall defending, blood and thunder, winning headers, kicking the ball back to the other team for them to try another time and then loads of self congratulation when we scrape through without conceding. He revels in that kind of game and pretty much sums up his approach to football in my view.

You're right but some of those kind of games were amazing under Mick. Ipswich and Coventry in his first season for example. Because we had absolutely nothing bar a brilliant goalkeeper that was all we could do.

There will always be a raging debate about when was the right time to let him go. I will never accept that it was realistic to patch him at the end of 2010/11. But Everton away the following season was my breaking point with him.

After the Blackburn game is a hindsight call, other than those who had it in for him - I was still posting on Mol Mix at the time, you'd be surprised with how many people were against him from season two, there weren't many people calling for him to go.

He lost me against Swansea in the season he eventually went, poor team selection, poor tactics, got out of jail with his subs, but the arrogance after the game told me it was time to go.

Back