• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Hull 2 - Wolves 1 dissapointing end for our U21s verdict thread

Bit of a dull game overall but didn't think Wolves played too badly overall, though certainly leaning heavily towards solid rather than spectacular.

Ikeme didn't really have a lot to do but shipped two goals through a horrendous error and bit of bad luck.

Thought Doherty had a really good game, solid defensively and got forward to good effect too, just a shame he undid it all with a silly push to concede that deciding freekick late on.

Iorfa and Hause started off looking very half soaked to me, 10 minutes in it looked like they were going to have a long night but they grew into it and became a lot more focused and solid, think at times they're both guilty of trying to be a bit too clever as seen with Iorfa right at the start chasing back with Hernandez, could've been made to look a right mug there, good to see him stick with the physical battle against Hernandez though even if he conceded a few niggly fouls in the process.

Wasn't sold on Deslandes, seemed very flat footed a lot of the time, whether that's a problem with anticipation or just him being a bit overawed by the occasion, could've cost Wolves dearly when Elmohamady chested a long ball past him and should've got a penalty out of it, the youngster just hadn't set himself for the possibility of being beaten by the first touch. Didn't look to great on the ball either, often went for the simplest of passes, which you can't knock him for on his debut, but other times just seemed to wildly swipe at things or kick it in the vague direction of the first blue shirt he could see. Not writing him off but wouldn't expect him to be making that spot his own just yet.

The three in the middle of the park are all much of a muchness for me, you're not going to get anything more than big workrate and some simple passing from that collective, none of them played badly mind but it exposes their limitations when they haven't got a player to add what they're lacking alongside them. Edwards and Price were both fairly quiet for the most part, Price could've matched the former with a headed goal but couldn't keep it down, thought Saville was the most involved of the three, good battling performance from him although very lucky to get away with the one challenge fairly early on with no punishment whatsoever.

Helen gave some decent balance to the side, stretched the game down the left and found plenty of space, he's obviously a pretty limited player but was happy to try and beat his man most opportunities he got and put in some good deliveries too, thought he did alright when moved to left back as well.

Henry was the worst player on the pitch, barely seems to acknowledge that there are other members of his team and has nothing like the ability to make things happen on his own, slow as a boat and awful delivery, those floaty corners from the right hand side were a complete waste of time.

Feel a bit for Sigurdarson, can't fault his effort at all tonight but there was precious little to work with, managed the odd bit of link up on the rare occasions Wolves committed other players forward but never has quite enough to make anything happen on his own, battles well but just doesn't have the extra bit of pace or trickery to get away from his man. Couple of pot shots from the edge of the box as much as he managed, can't remember him having a single touch in Hull's box which I think tells a shocking tale of Wolves' attacking adventures in the game.

Think the original set up wasn't too bad but needed to get more support from midfield up to Sigurdarson to make anything happen, the subs just seemed nonsense to me, surely the pedestrian midfield could've afforded to ditch one of the starting cast for Mason or Bright to try and help Siggy out a bit rather than bringing Coady in and neutering the left hand side.

As said a fairly solid performance overall but the lack of interplay from Wolves is a worry, it's like the players barely know one another, so little movement to help people out and create passing options, players pass it off to a team mate and just swan off into no mans land leaving the man on the ball stranded. Does make you wonder what they actually do monday-friday at the training ground.

I dont agree with you but we will see what happens (regarding DW)

Not all wingers have searing pace.

Those that don't generally have some sort of ability to make up for that though. How old is he now? He still plays football like a child, head staring straight at his feet, no awareness of anything around him.

Leicester were in the championship when they signed Morgan and Vardy. Though I think very few people thought they were turn out to be as good as they have been. It could just be that other championship sides have a better scouting system that Wolves, and that would disappoint me

Wolves current scouting system clearly does not work. Over £6m on players that do not start or make the squad is a disgrace.

If Leicester (West Ham and Spurs to a lesser extent) prove anything it is the biggest chance of success is to change the manager, roughly the same players but a big change in manager (not backroom staff).

Those that don't generally have some sort of ability to make up for that though. How old is he now? He still plays football like a child, head staring straight at his feet, no awareness of anything around him.

While I agree he was poor last night, he did set both goals up iirc V MK.

The worst thing about last night was seeing how really bad Hull are and knowing it'll give Derby a pass through to Wembley

Can't wait for the season to end now, but I'm very concerned of what may happen next season.

I thought we did OK tonight, we just lack a threat going forward which means teams aren't afraid to push up on us which then forces us back. Compared to last season when we had a great front 3 and teams had something to worry about. After 2 seasons of playing some good attacking football, i can't write KJ off just yet. You take that team tonight and swap the front 3 for Graham, Dicko and Zyro and I think we'd look much more of a threat.
One should be back at the start of the season after a year out, one around the New Year although he thinks it might be sooner and the other we won't see next season. This puts me in the same camp as JD.

If you replace Siggy last night with a forward with power and pace IE Dicko, you could have had a different game. They would have had to defend 5 yds deeper giving us more space in midfield and allowing Saville and Edwards to get in around the forward. As it was they could step up further up the pitch in the knowledge we didn't have anybody that would burst past them.

The most frustrating thing about our formations in the main this season is that more often than not since Dicko got injured we have played with one striker yet there isn't a player on our books be it Siggy, Le Fondre, Mason or when he was here Afobe that suits it. At least when we had Graham in the team we had some pace on the left to try and join him. Although I thought Helan did OK last night he cannot do the same job and neither can Henry on the other side. With Edwards expected to be a 3rd midfielder more than a number 10 it leaves whoever the forward is totally isolated. Siggy doesn't have the pace to at least give the centre halves something different to think about. If Dicko was playing last night you know he would have moved them around, gone into the channels etc, Siggy just isn't that type of player.

Basically a very long winded way of saying, why when we knew Dicko was broken for the season didn't we sign a player of similar style on loan? November last season should have told us how pivotal he is to how we perform

The problem with this over reliance on Dicko is that are aren't addressing the fundamental problem within Wolves game plan. The lack of quality when trying to play into the final third of the pitch. Saville and Edwards will never give you enough quality going forward and are more likely to isolate both Jack Price and any particular striker because of their poor link play.

At various points this season fans have moan Afobe didnt show last seasons form, they have hammered Alf, Mason, Siggy for not being good enough. Alf seems to have a steady goals record at most clubs hes been at, Siggy for anyone who was at the Reading game showed what he can offer us that day he was quick, strong and ran the channels all afternoon. Mason im not so sure what he is about but in my opinion the football Kenny has chosen to play has failed to get the best out of our options and looking at them they are completely shot and have lost all confidence. We have a striker stood 30/40 yards from the rest of the team feeding off scraps and hopeful hoofs up the pitch.

What I really really don't get is if the manager wants to p!ay in a certain way why he doesn't buy players to fit that style i.e. Mason? Its like Pulis being manager of a team and p!aying Tyrrion Lannister as target man. Ridiculous

It seems clear enough to me that we need a better player than Siggy for the lone striker (Siggy has some ability but really he's a No.10). Dicko perhaps? Also Henry is a squad place and shouldn't start. Think Price & Saville are ok but we need a more forward thinking player with them.
Being positive there are a few good youngsters coming through and we might surprise ourselves in the next year or two. Good recruitment in the summer is vital with restricted funds.

If you replace Siggy last night with a forward with power and pace IE Dicko, you could have had a different game. They would have had to defend 5 yds deeper giving us more space in midfield and allowing Saville and Edwards to get in around the forward. As it was they could step up further up the pitch in the knowledge we didn't have anybody that would burst past them.

The most frustrating thing about our formations in the main this season is that more often than not since Dicko got injured we have played with one striker yet there isn't a player on our books be it Siggy, Le Fondre, Mason or when he was here Afobe that suits it. At least when we had Graham in the team we had some pace on the left to try and join him. Although I thought Helan did OK last night he cannot do the same job and neither can Henry on the other side. With Edwards expected to be a 3rd midfielder more than a number 10 it leaves whoever the forward is totally isolated. Siggy doesn't have the pace to at least give the centre halves something different to think about. If Dicko was playing last night you know he would have moved them around, gone into the channels etc, Siggy just isn't that type of player.

Basically a very long winded way of saying, why when we knew Dicko was broken for the season didn't we sign a player of similar style on loan? November last season should have told us how pivotal he is to how we perform

Therein lies the issue though, Edwards has the engine yo get between midfield and support the striker but he lacks the footballing brain in that position. Last night the ball broke in the final third and we could've really been in but Dave dallied and a tame cross was eventually snuffed out. Last year we had Sako or Afobe and even Macca picking up on those loose ends who had that bit more about them.

Mid to long term Saville isn't starting, Jacketts man crush on Edwards is what it is but until we see what Wallace is capable of consistently or McDonald makes amends (unlikely I know) I think even Dicko would cut a frustrated figure.

Therein lies the issue though, Edwards has the engine yo get between midfield and support the striker but he lacks the footballing brain in that position. Last night the ball broke in the final third and we could've really been in but Dave dallied and a tame cross was eventually snuffed out. Last year we had Sako or Afobe and even Macca picking up on those loose ends who had that bit more about them.

Mid to long term Saville isn't starting, Jacketts man crush on Edwards is what it is but until we see what Wallace is capable of consistently or McDonald makes amends (unlikely I know) I think even Dicko would cut a frustrated figure.

Depressingly I dont think the squad even when all fit is strong enough for the type of challenge or football that Jacketts tactics will bring next season. It may be fingers crossed and hope for an academy player to come through like Rashford. I still cannot believe we arrived at this situation so soon . The forward planning and thinking at Wolves does leave a lot to be desired at the moment. Its all reactive and no plan B

Just watched the game now, and haven't read all the comments, but we simply cannot afford a goalie who gifts 6-8 goals a season. And i exempt him from blame for the winner (just about a perfect free kick) but once again his footwork was hugely ponderous

It was a pretty dire game but there were some positives. I thought the back four looked quite good without Batth. Very young and I think it shows that Williamson would be a better fit than Batth next to Hause/Iorfa. I was pleased with Iorfa in the middle, I think that will be his position as he looked comfortable bringing the ball out too. Great experience for Deslandes, who will benefit hugely, and should be given these games now to prepare him for next season. Super Doc was very good again, I expected him to look poor at right back but he did really well.

The midfield is problematic. Price had a quiet game but did OK. and Saville and Edwards both played pretty well but there were three players in there and we didn't keep the ball well (mainly down to manger's instructions). We know what we get with Edwards but for Saville he needs to stay in the game for longer periods. He floats by and then he does a good tackle/touch/pass and thta's his contribution for the fifteen minute period. He has potential but needs to improve quickly.

The front three was fucking dreadful. And it was a joke that Bright got a minute and Hunte didn't even come on. If anything, this game further highlighted why Jackett is not the man to take us forward. We set up to play long balls at someone who is shite in the air. It's painful!

And that's the issue - at this level it's the team setup that gets you promoted - you find the system you want to play and get the players to make it work.

Under kj, we don't seem to have a system and the players we've spent big money on aren't getting into the team. And to make it worse, given we don't have anything to play for, we're not even giving game time to the kids that may develop.

I'm done with kj now. Thanks for everything but fuck off and let someone with a plan have a go.

Back