• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Hull 2 - Wolves 1 dissapointing end for our U21s verdict thread

Williamson did well when on loan here, but why did we sign a player who was injured?

Clearly the prognosis was that he'd be available at worst a couple of weeks after he signed, it wasn't a complex injury that he originally had, just a hamstring strain. That hasn't turned out to be the case.

Worth remembering there was an overwhelming clamour on here and elsewhere for us to sign him in January. Much flapping when there was rumoured interest from Sheff Wed and constant "why haven't we signed Williamson, what are the club doing, it's an obvious signing, why are we faffing around" questions every day.

Indeed there was a clamour for Wolves to sign him, and at the time I recall people saying he would probably sign for Sheffield Wednesday given that they were chasing promotion. So I did not mind us signing him, but he has not kicked a ball in anger since joining us.

It was a pretty dire game but there were some positives. I thought the back four looked quite good without Batth. Very young and I think it shows that Williamson would be a better fit than Batth next to Hause/Iorfa. I was pleased with Iorfa in the middle, I think that will be his position as he looked comfortable bringing the ball out too. Great experience for Deslandes, who will benefit hugely, and should be given these games now to prepare him for next season. Super Doc was very good again, I expected him to look poor at right back but he did really well.

The midfield is problematic. Price had a quiet game but did OK. and Saville and Edwards both played pretty well but there were three players in there and we didn't keep the ball well (mainly down to manger's instructions). We know what we get with Edwards but for Saville he needs to stay in the game for longer periods. He floats by and then he does a good tackle/touch/pass and thta's his contribution for the fifteen minute period. He has potential but needs to improve quickly.

The front three was fucking dreadful. And it was a joke that Bright got a minute and Hunte didn't even come on. If anything, this game further highlighted why Jackett is not the man to take us forward. We set up to play long balls at someone who is shite in the air. It's painful!

I dont get the love in that some fans give Edwards without the ball when pressing. He's still doing it by himself rather than as part of a unit. At times Hull were passing around individuals taking it upon themselves to press. If Wolves are to retain this 4-3-3 they need to work on this aspect of play to enable ball winning high up the field.

KJ doesn't do pressing high as a unit as a game plan though. Only in some games have we ever done it (Watford away springs to mind last season). Even when we have looked a good side under him that's not been our style.

I think the 4-3-3 is the right way to go but if we play this awful style it is a bit pointless really.

KJ doesn't do pressing high as a unit as a game plan though. Only in some games have we ever done it (Watford away springs to mind last season). Even when we have looked a good side under him that's not been our style.

I think the 4-3-3 is the right way to go but if we play this awful style it is a bit pointless really.

Whatever the plan is next season they can't do individual stuff defensively, its as though its being ignored by the coach.

Indeed there was a clamour for Wolves to sign him, and at the time I recall people saying he would probably sign for Sheffield Wednesday given that they were chasing promotion. So I did not mind us signing him, but he has not kicked a ball in anger since joining us.

We took a calculated risk given how absolutely rudderless we had looked in some games at the back. It didnt pay off so far but I for one think it was worth taking. Cost peanuts and may well yet turn out to be a good buy / investment for next year.

Williamson's injury now is a different one to the one we signed him with. Therefore the initial prognosis that he'd be back a couple of weeks after signing him was in all likelihood accurate with regards to that particular injury. Nobody could have predicted he'd get another, it's just bad luck and consistent with our shite season

Not to mention the transfer fee as he'd have been available for nothing if they'd waited until summer.
Not as if Wolves are bothered. We spunked £3m on Mason and rarely start him.

Back