• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Is Bruno Lage A Good Manager Or Should He Go?

Back him or sack him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are more than enough reasons to be critical of Bruno without wondering whether he was having a go at the players. For what it’s worth I do t think he is, I don’t think even he is that stupid as it’s Saunders level of stupidity if it is.
If we've hurt his feelings, he's got all summer to get over it.

I don't know what he meant, my issue is he increasingly comes across as really incoherent, and I don't think it's a language barrier issue.

re the "grow up" I'd have to see it spoken within the context. we're arguing over how he meant it and we're native speakers. I'm not sure what the phrasing would be in portuguese, but it doesn't immediately make me think he's being dismissive of the players.

if he is though, then yes, that might be a bit telling as to where the locker room is under his leadership. and an oddly self-damning thing to say, given the generally strong team spirit and cohesion over the last few years.
"What I want is to wake up in the next morning and to come to work with players that I can see are hungry to grow up" That is the context. Nothing more than he wants the players hungry to progress to me.

Sorry to say it but I have to agree with most posts. When you lose the dressing room, its over. I've previously pushed for Cooper to take over but as jd1981 said Mendes is in the way. If not Cooper why cant we think big like Palace, Arsenal, Newcastle and get someone who has man management skills, tactical ability and who knows the English game. Jeff please take a back seat, dont get involved in transfers, listen to the experts. If you dont we are relegation fodder next season.

I have no doubt that if Bruno is our manager next season we will be relegation contenders, if not certainties.

The only thing that could possible explain bringing in Bruno and not backing him is because Lopetegui has agreed to tackle the challenge - possibly with Lage as his assistant.

I’m clutching at straws because I’m very worried for us next season.

Sums up the end of the season in a single photo.

81B2B47E-B3E9-4717-A5F9-A30DC896361D.jpeg

The only thing that could possible explain bringing in Bruno and not backing him is because Lopetegui has agreed to tackle the challenge - possibly with Lage as his assistant.

He's a yes man, earning one of the lowest salaries in the PL. It's not any deeper than that. Never was

Why the hell would you want Lage as your assistant?

I’d say changing the manager has had some effect. We were underperforming with mitigating factors and now we’re a complete rabble who look like they hate their football and their management. I do agree I’d like something different next season though, weirdly enough as I travel hours and pay a fortune to watch it.

Who are we kidding, if Lopetegui is even remotely available we should be trying to make it happen.

They’re not even in the same stratosphere.

We’d be going from a guy who’s CV includes managing the Dog & Duck, to a guy who has managed some of the biggest and best sides in world football.

We might not stand a chance of getting him but, Jesus, we should be trying.

Let’s just hope he hasn’t watched our last 12 games.

Lopetegui isn't an option any more, there's no point in kidding ourselves. Since the first move went south, he's strengthened his reputation, while ours has been shot to shit. We'd be no more attractive to a prospective manager than Palace, Leeds or Villa.

Lage arrived here with one good season behind him on his CV. We were told he will bring attacking football and it won’t be dull on the basis of him winning the league with Benfica.
Firstly it’s a lot easier being expressive when you’re the biggest club in Portugal with a bigger budget than most in the league.
Mid table premier league side it’s far more difficult to try and implement that style and make it work. I think he tried initially but the need for points on the board took priority so pragmatism became the way.
At the moment we play like sides under Pulis, Allardyce, megson going forward and sides under Kevin Keegan defensively.
Tactic when chasing seems to be just chuck as many forward as possible.

Well that’s it for another home season. We are finishing top half more by luck than judgement. 16 goalless games, failure to beat any of Norwich , Burnley Palace or Leeds, four points from those 8 games, No cup run , no Europe after having 34 points in February! The last third of the season should have tolled a death knell for Lage as a coach here and brought the end of about 6 of the first team squad, it’s trite to say it is a big summer. If Lage has lost the dressing room then it should be him to go but I fear he stays and the players are gone and we will end up fielding the youngest average aged side in the league next season.
Thanks to Neves for the memories and others who won’t grace Molineux again. It felt like the end of an era today.
Let us hope for a positive summer.

Other than Sa the whole spine of the side needs surgery 2CH 2CM 1/2 CF. Over £100m plus required to do that to probably maintain current position. Good luck with that.
I think we’re entering a phase where we flirt with relegation or even get relegated over the next few seasons.
Who do I think will come above next season

Obviously
City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
Arsenal
Man Utd
West Ham

Very probable
Leicester
Villa
BHA
Newcastle

Could easily
Palace
Everton
Brentford

Sides we’ll be on a par with
Saints
Burnley/Leeds
Fulham
Bournemouth
And the play off winner

A lot of our fans will confidently believe we’re to good for the bottom 6 which is complete utter bollocks.

Have waited until the season is (effectively) over for a full view but have now voted for him to go. No identity, uninspiring football, seems to have lost the dressing room, and doesn't have the right ideas to get this collection of players performing well regularly. I think if we keep him we are in serious trouble next year, our form is terrible and by all accounts the squad is going to have a lot of change. I don't trust the scouting department to solve that first and foremost but also him, his love of Hwang does nothing to convince you that he can spot a good player.

However as I said to some people today, it feels like this forum really does exist in a sort of bubble doesn't it? Most fans I speak to are rather behind him and believe he deserves more time/a transfer window with funds to spend. At the same time, we shouldn't forget how ruthless Fosun can be. Sometimes I think he is gone, other times that he stays. Guess we shall find out.

Sorry to say it but I have to agree with most posts. When you lose the dressing room, its over. I've previously pushed for Cooper to take over but as jd1981 said Mendes is in the way. If not Cooper why cant we think big like Palace, Arsenal, Newcastle and get someone who has man management skills, tactical ability and who knows the English game. Jeff please take a back seat, dont get involved in transfers, listen to the experts. If you dont we are relegation fodder next season.

Have waited until the season is (effectively) over for a full view but have now voted for him to go. No identity, uninspiring football, seems to have lost the dressing room, and doesn't have the right ideas to get this collection of players performing well regularly. I think if we keep him we are in serious trouble next year, our form is terrible and by all accounts the squad is going to have a lot of change. I don't trust the scouting department to solve that first and foremost but also him, his love of Hwang does nothing to convince you that he can spot a good player.

However as I said to some people today, it feels like this forum really does exist in a sort of bubble doesn't it? Most fans I speak to are rather behind him and believe he deserves more time/a transfer window with funds to spend. At the same time, we shouldn't forget how ruthless Fosun can be. Sometimes I think he is gone, other times that he stays. Guess we shall find out.

It is odd, if he was charismatic and played good football I could understand the perseverance.
He’s neither, I think reading between the lines fans who criticise and ask for change will think they come across as “pant wetting” or deluded.
I think as DW said if he was to go next Monday I don’t think there would be much of an uproar.
League position is masking over the crevices reality is the gap from us to 18th reality isn’t huge in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back