• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2020 transfer window

On the sticking plaster thing... let’s say we sign Oliveira and Raul did get injured like everyone keeps suggesting - who would you rather up top in our system, him or Jota? It’s Diogo for me.

Leicester signed Bennett so they could loan out Benkovic right? I don’t think it was the same situation
On the first point, I'd rather have someone who will link play in the way Raul does, I don't see Jota as doing that role. So I'd prefer it to be someone else, although I appreciate that person needs to be competent.

On the second I meant from the players perspective, Bennett has gone to Leicester fully aware that he is there to bench sit and cover for injuries.

On the first point, I'd rather have someone who will link play in the way Raul does, I don't see Jota as doing that role. So I'd prefer it to be someone else, although I appreciate that person needs to be competent.

On the second I meant from the players perspective, Bennett has gone to Leicester fully aware that he is there to bench sit and cover for injuries.

If Raul is not there & Jota plays centre instead then it will change as the 2 players are not identical.

Nothing wrong in that - we just need to adapt, though that gives the opposition a different challenge as well. I would rather we didn't bring in a makeweight just to keep fans happy who really isn't that good.

We still have the best team almost all of us have seen - challenging for the top 6 is v difficult in the current era. Does anyone really believe that we could do that in our second PL season whilst also coping with the Europa League (& going further in that than other teams finishing in our position have managed in recent years).

Although I was – and remain – critical of the recruitment of Cutrone and Vallejo – I think this has been a good window. As has been said above, we are in the process of building steadily. I simply can’t see us suddenly splurging £50-70m on a player. Although he wasn’t speaking directly about Wolves, Guo Guangchang’s speech at Davos was exactly on these lines: steady growth and value for money.
We’ve spent around £2.5m on Enzo, Campana and the boy Luke – the chances are that at least one of them will go onto become a first team player. I’ll have a friendly fiver with someone now that Luke Matheson will be Wolves next full England international.
Matheson – like Podence – seems to be a “Wolves type player.” It was a point Guillem Balague made when he was discussing Podence. Nuno doesn’t just want good footballers, he wants good people.

Not sure that the Cutrone signing was completely wrong - had some attributes when he came & would have improved with Nuno's help.

Didn't work out for other reasons so right to cut our loss. Vallejo was only ever a makeweight for cover & wasn't suited - all buying systems make mistakes.

What's wrong with having the option of Jota, as a forward. A forward line of Jota, Traore, and Podence would make a fluid Rapid interchangeable and different to every forward line in the league, the exception being Liverpool they have tge same fluid front 3 but on a level above ours.

When we were playing 3-5-2 Jota was playing as a 2nd forwards any way.

What's wrong with having the option of Jota, as a forward. A forward line of Jota, Traore, and Podence would make a fluid Rapid interchangeable and different to every forward line in the league, the exception being Liverpool they have tge same fluid front 3 but on a level above ours.

Becomes a problem if you're battering a team with Jimenez playing in the middle of your front three and he gets injured, the alternative might not pose anything like the same trouble to your opponent. It's nice to have options to change things up but at the same time there are situations where you need to be able to maintain more continuity in spite of the substitutions.

You're not going to go out and get a direct replacement for arguably your best/most important player, hardly any club in the world has that option available, but you want to give yourself a least the option to try and maintain the status quo when a change may be forced upon you. When City signed Jesus as their backup to Aguero there wasn't any widespread amazement that they'd now got two of the best forwards in the league queuing up behind one another, Jesus is very much the understudy but he's got potential to grow and maybe take over from Aguero when his time is up, he's still good enough to play a few games here and there to give the main man a rest but no-one can be thinking he's as good as the real thing. Maybe Campana turns out to be that lesser light who can fill in for the time being with a view to growing into a longer term replacement, it's a big jump from Ecuadorian football to the Premier League though.

The reason I have hope, even if Raul is not there, is that with Traore,Jota, Neto and hopefully Podence (as we have not seen him yet) this is the quickest front line any will have seen - it will be there before any defence has the chance to reset.

There are those in that 4 who can finish the move.

We've been crap in the last 3 windows? NO

In that period we've pushed on to secure a place in Europe, now with 14 games left we are in a realistic chance of top 6
an optimistic chance of top 4.

It seems to me we have pretty damn good players already, we need depth and apart from CF we have that. As said we have
other options Jota in the middle.

Excited by the Matheson signing
Pure conjecture but that video deliverred a kick up the arse to Doc and it was not an accident

Reckon this forum should send someone to watch Donny Rovers vs Rochdale next weekend. Time we developed our own scouting network

My cousin is a Donny Rovers STH. I may have to ask him for his views on Matheson.

Every interview he comes across as a pleasant level headed lad, good on him :)

Back